Learn more

Raintree Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,833 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Offline map recommended. Users have reported that the trail is not marked well. Steep switchbacks and the altitude will test your endurance on this hike. Views of surrounding peaks and valleys should make it worth while. If the views don't impress you, perhaps the magical feeling of walking underneath the Bristlecone Pines will. These trees have been living here since before the Roman Empire and deserve our love and respect -- there is an "Alice in Wonderland", or surreal feeling about this hike. If you travel quietly (sunrise or sunset), you could see deer, and perhaps mountain lion tracks. If there has been snow, the trail may be impassable, even through May. The trail is extremely well marked and easy to follow -- just keep climbing. Downhill is a breeze. Once you're at Raintree, it's only 1/3 mile to Mummy Springs (trailhead/sign at Raintree). Please respect the Bristlecones (as well as the other trees) and do NOT remove or deface them in any way, even dead braches lying on the ground. Forested hike with ponderosa pine and white fir.

Great trail! Definitely still way out of shape, but I’m so happy my boyfriend and I pushed through and made it to Rain Tree! And the view on top makes it all worth it!

Great trail for hiking dogs (with shoes). Parking is limited but close to the trailhead. I’m not a super experienced hiker but I have been used to hiking at high elevation and this was challenging but so doable. Started the hike at 7 am in the shade and ended with plenty of sun. Took us 3 hours with stops for the pup and to have a quick snack. 5-10 minutes away from hotel in Kyle.

6/12 Great hike! It was super windy at the top.

Beautiful trail. Much more wooded than some others in Mt Charleston. Wildflowers almost all the way up. Weather conditions: about 70 degrees with breezes about 20mph with gusts up to 40. The end of the trail was far too gusty to sit and enjoy the view but the breezes provided just the right amount of coolness on the rest of the trail. Had no problems staying on the trail after finding the North Loop parking lot.

One of the best hikes on Mt Charleston.

While I enjoyed this hike I did not enjoy the fact that is was not clearly marked. This trail is called Rain Tree so we are driving around the mountain looking for this sign. We ended up going all the way up and turning back around just to find out this trail’s name is actually the north loop. The Rain Tree is what you come across at the end of the hike. We found the entrance but after the big sign you see that tells you about the hike, there are two trails. One going left and one going right. The map doesn’t show that on the sign. So we went right because we saw someone coming down and asked for directions. After you get to the big old beautiful tree there is a sign that tells you where to go for Mummy Trails and the North Loop. We went the direction for north loop to go back home. 2 hours down we realized that we weren’t going the right way. For a while it was all down hill but then started to go back up and way high so we knew something was wrong. We decided to turn back around which was all up hill! We ran into other hikers and they said that the trail we just came off of was an unmarked trail not on the map! We went 2 miles the wrong way and had to back track! We made it back to the rain tree and decided to go the way we came and not follow the sign that said north loop. I understand this hike was ranked hard but instead of doing 5.3 miles we did almost 10! We were all so exhausted and some of us ran out of water. Every time we ran into another hiker we asked and made sure that we were still going down the correct way to get back to the car. I really love hiking at Mt. Charleston but the more I go the more disappointed I am in their poor signage. We got turned around on this hike 3 times because too many people made their own trails and there are no markers on the correct trail. Of course it is steep and there are a lot of switch backs but there is also a lot of gravel and roots on the path so you really need to focus on your footing. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful trees but getting turned around so many times wasn’t worth it.

A great climb! Especially if you are seeking elevation as part of training for a bigger hike. Started at 8 am so we could get up and back before the forecasted wind. It was only lightly trafficked at that time, but it was also a cooler day in Vegas than usual. Some amazing vantage points and also several natural spots to pause. Encountering raintree for the first time was also pretty magnificent.

I do this trail as a part of the trail head hike. I start off at trail head and after I make it up to the saddle, I continue on to rain tree. It adds about additions 1.3 miles one way to the entire hike. Most of the hike is a good challenge of incline and some switch backs. It’s a pretty good hike if you’re used to hiking. If you’re not used to hiking, you will huff and puff most of the way there. But the tree and the view is always worth the struggle! Enjoy!!

This was my first hike, with that said, I loved this trail! Very easy to follow, lot of switchbavks. It was definitely strenuous but very doable for a first timer. I highly recommend this trail.

Well marked trail. Beautiful bristlecone trees along the way. Elevation is killer! Make sure to be prepared. Full of switchbacks and uphill climbing. Worth it for the view. Beautiful hike. Did June 2. No snow.

Very beautiful hike throughout! we ended up making this into a loop by following mummy springs and continuing towards cougar ridge trail. The route we took back was pretty and forested but definitely requires a bit of courage. There are steep areas with loose gravel on a cliffside. Only follow this loop if youre comfortable with heights and have good shoes. Otherwise, just do the out and back to rain tree which is a lot safer. Overall, the best hike I've done in Vegas so far!

Well marked and easy to follow trail. It’s a bit of a climb and with the elevation can be quite the workout! Luckily there are plenty of trees to provide shade along the way. There are a few spots where you can catch a glimpse of the Las Vegas valley and some mountains. I wish there was more sights to see on the way up, but regardless, it was beautiful and peaceful. The raintree was quite a cool sight to see at the end. Can’t wait to take it further next time to Mummy Springs and beyond.

Cool spot to check out on the way to fletcher Peak

one of my favorite hikes...

Went to trail canyon junction.

This is a spectacular trail and is now definitely our favorite in the Charleston area. Well marked all the way, never even needed to pull out the AllTrails app to navigate. We did this on a Sunday afternoon and while the parking lot was packed, the trail didn’t seem overly crowded. We started later than most (1030) and most of the people we met were already on the way down. Most likely only went 3 miles in and can back. We did 15.4 miles round trip and by about mile 4, the traffic dropped off significantly. It’s a hard trail mainly for the amount of climbing. From the first few feet at the start of the trailhead, you will climb for 2.5 miles solid as you switchback up to the first saddle. After that is a low gradual descent again down past Mummy Mt and then a long climb again back up to the final ridge line that traverses over time Charleston Peak. From that first saddle at 2.5 miles, the panoramic views are absolutely stunning and non stop. Especially once you get up around 10k feet are are essentially co-altitude with the ridge lines across the valleys. Beware for those afraid of heights, there are some very narrow sections of the trail with steep drop offs and some loose shale. But the trail is in great shape and there are no issues. Just don’t look down

Relatively easy trail that’s majority uphill that’s also easy to follow. Great picture opportunities throughout the hike.

Was not able to complete due to snow on the switch backs at the last 1 mile of trail. It was very treacherous traversing the snow drifts just before the switch backs. We were so close but didn’t want to chance it. We will be back again in June. Did get to watch my amazing hiking partner and beautiful daughter conquer a few of her fears and overcome!! Well worth the time invested to almost summit the peak!

recorded Raintree Trail

Definitely a challenging hike but so worth it. Took us about 2.5 hours to Raintree, 5 hours round trip, including a few snacks stops and we continued on to Mummy Springs for a little while. There is still some snow on that part of the trail but not impassable.

Easy trail to navigate. Increase in elevation is def what makes this trail “hard”. Views are fantastic. We went slightly further up but not enough to make up for the difference between the mileage tracked versus the mileage listed through the app, so not sure which is accurate. Either way, I will do it again