Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Raintree Trail

Raintree Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Steep climb to oldest living thing in Nevada, Bristlecone pine named Raintree Steep switchbacks and the altitude will test your endurance on this hike. Views of surrounding peaks and valleys should make it worth while. If the views don't impress you, perhaps the magical feeling of walking underneath the Bristlecone Pines will. These trees have been living here since before the Roman Empire and deserve our love and respect -- there is an "Alice in Wonderland", or surreal feeling about this hike. If you travel quietly (sunrise or sunset), you could see deer, and perhaps mountain lion tracks. If there has been snow, the trail may be impassable, even through May. The trail is extremely well marked and easy to follow -- just keep climbing. Downhill is a breeze. Once you're at Raintree, it's only 1/3 mile to Mummy Springs (trailhead/sign at Raintree). Please respect the Bristlecones (as well as the other trees) and do NOT remove or deface them in any way, even dead braches lying on the ground. Forested hike with ponderosa pine and white fir.

hard but rewarding! the waterfall at the end is frozen in March

Wow. The movie-set-looking creepy forest near the Raintree is out of this world.

Very tough. Stopped at raintree, so we didn't do the last bit. Still great.

This trail goes is incorrectly mapped and goes further than raintree. Raintree is the tree that stands over the junction with Mummy Spring trail. I was a little confused how this could have a harder rating than Mummy Spring when it is 9/10ths of Mummy Spring. After you pass the bald spot, be sure to take the switchbacks nice and slow. Well trafficked, amazing views, be sure to check the forecast during monsoon season though, storms and lightning are pretty much guaranteed if moisture is around (July-September).

The views are so awesome! Before the switch backs you can see Lake Mead!

A grueling uphill but worth it! Great hike to escape the heat of the city and see some incredible Flora.

I would say this was a moderate to difficult trail. The switchbacks were quite grueling but the views made it worth it. The Raintree was quite a spectacle to see and the return journey back was quite easy.

Love the openness at about 1.5 miles, and to the west you can see a log cabin. At 2.5 miles is the Mummy Springs junction and Raintree. I continued on the North Loop for the next 1.5 miles downhill to the Trail Canyon/Cave Springs junction. It wasn’t so pleasant to return back up after 4 miles of leg burn!

Beautiful hike, moderate in difficulty. Constant rewarding views along the way — and the Raintree— worth every step to see it. We planned a picnic lunch up there- it was a perfect spot.

Really great hike. The switchbacks on the front end are pretty grueling, but they lead to some amazing views — and, of course, Raintree (which isn’t marked, but is right by the sign where the trail splits after you come over the ridge). Temps were great for July — in the 70s when I started at 9:00 — and traffic on the trail was fairly light for a Sunday, especially once I passed the tree. Took me about 4.5 hours, but I made tons of stops for pictures and hung out by the tree for a while.

I’ll be doing this one again! Highly recommend it.

Decent hike. The steady climb started to wear on my lungs. The tree is amazing with plenty of spots to sit down and relax for a bit. From here we went to the Mummy Springs...ehh, not all that great. Next time we’ll cut off to Fletcher Peak.

Lots of switchbacks, but most of the incline isn’t too steep and the hike back was a breeze. I’d rate the hike as moderate. Raintree is magnificent to behold and worth the trip.

I found taking frequent breaks was helpful with the altitude climb

Really difficult hike but well worth it. Left around 3pm and got back around 8pm. Great to do in early summer because it’s still bright out. Made it to Raintree as sunset was beginning and it was breathtaking.

I took my 11 month old 20lb “weight vest” with me and made it at a pace of 31 min/mi... we both enjoyed the sights, sounds, smells very much! There weren’t a lot of people on the trail either (which I prefer) Can’t wait to do this beautiful hike again!

Strenuous climb but well worth it. The bristlecone pine forest is beautiful. I had to stop myself from takin pictures of every tree.

The Rain Tree is not at the end of this hike but a little past the midway point. I posted a picture showing where the tree is on the AllTrails map. The rest of the hike is worth the trip; you end up on a ridge with steep cliffs. You may be disappointed if you expect the trail to end in an even better tree.

Monday, March 05, 2018

My Garmin had the distance a little shy of 6-miles,taking the north loop trail (as shown) up to the Raintree. Pretty solid 1,900-foot elevation change on the ascent from the parking lot at the north loop trail at 158. The elevation gets to just shy of 10,000 feet so will get to you on this steady climb. We hiked in early March so there was still some significant snow on the trail and micro-spikes and poles were needed. We had a great time and some of the views were tremendous.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

This is a challenging hike, not for the faint of heart. There are steep areas and switchbacks, and the elevation kinda started to kick my butt. But, it was worth it. The tree was magnificent and I was never bored.

Monday, January 22, 2018

amazing trail despite some of the debris I found.

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Strenuous hike but well worth it once you get to the top. The temperatures right now are brutal so dress warmly!

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Good strenuous hike. Tree at the top was really cool. Great views.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

I love it. The hiking is hard but an enjoyable challenge.
an awesome experience.
The view is amazing.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

excellent

Sunday, August 27, 2017

So my friend and I attempted to do Mummy Springs (which follows the same path but goes off to the right after Raintree), but we could only make it to Raintree. I feel like whoever created the Mummy Springs page was lying to themselves because that hike is NOT 5 miles round trip and is NOT moderate. I do 5k's and 10k's and a bit of uphill training for them and this hike almost killed me.

So just be warned: this hike is quite difficult but is it SO worth it. I'm writing this the day after our hike my legs hurt. However, the Raintree is SO cool and the views on this hike are SO great, that the pain is worth it. I will say this because we had no idea what we were doing: just keep climbing. When you think you've reach the Raintree, you haven't. There is a small wooden sign in front of the Raintree and you'll see some very defined trails going different directions. It's further than you expect but the trail is very well defined and pretty shady. Happy Hiking!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Loved Raintree and this hike. It was difficult. It was up, up and up! If you stay on it you can connect with Mummy or Trail canyon. Which the walls at Trail canyon are spectacular! I still recommend starting on this side, there's better tree cover and the views stay with you more.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

A nice challenge up to Raintree with surprises and changes in living scenery and mountainscapes along the way. Kept the trek stimulating. Well worth the extra bit from Raintree to Mummy Springs, with its own flourishing ecosystem.

Friday, July 14, 2017

We did the hike long the North Loop Trail to the junction with the Trail Canyon Trail. It was great with awesome views. Very easy to follow. I do have one comment about the accompanying map. The trail in the map is the North Loop Trail to the junction with Trail Canyon Trail. The Raintree Bristlecone tree is at the junction of Mummy Springs which is only 2.8 miles from the trailhead not 3.5 miles.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Beautiful views!

Friday, June 30, 2017

Great hike with awesome views. Trail was easy to follow. Many switchbacks on this trail. Pace yourself and rest when needed. Start from the North Loop trail and follow it until you hit the junction for Mummy Springs.....Raintree is directly behind the sign, can't miss it. Incredible to see!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

I loved this trail. It is quite strenuous due to the elevation gain and switchbacks compromising the whole trail. However, if you are in moderate shape and take breaks you can do it no problem. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. I had to turn back just before the raintree due to it still being very covered in snow at the top. Made it halfway up the snowy part but the snow was not well packed and made the going slow and slippery- didn't want to chance an injury. Still, even without getting all the way there it is breathtaking and you have 360 degree views from the mountaintop. This trail was very light in traffic on a Sunday morning- if you start early you would probably see only one or two other people, the solitude is amazing. Highly recommend!!!