Raintree Trail

Raintree Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Steep climb to oldest living thing in Nevada, Bristlecone pine named Raintree Steep switchbacks and the altitude will test your endurance on this hike. Views of surrounding peaks and valleys should make it worth while. If the views don't impress you, perhaps the magical feeling of walking underneath the Bristlecone Pines will. These trees have been living here since before the Roman Empire and deserve our love and respect -- there is an "Alice in Wonderland", or surreal feeling about this hike. If you travel quietly (sunrise or sunset), you could see deer, and perhaps mountain lion tracks. If there has been snow, the trail may be impassable, even through May. The trail is extremely well marked and easy to follow -- just keep climbing. Downhill is a breeze. Once you're at Raintree, it's only 1/3 mile to Mummy Springs (trailhead/sign at Raintree). Please respect the Bristlecones (as well as the other trees) and do NOT remove or deface them in any way, even dead braches lying on the ground. Forested hike with ponderosa pine and white fir.

Really difficult hike but well worth it. Left around 3pm and got back around 8pm. Great to do in early summer because it’s still bright out. Made it to Raintree as sunset was beginning and it was breathtaking.

I took my 11 month old 20lb “weight vest” with me and made it at a pace of 31 min/mi... we both enjoyed the sights, sounds, smells very much! There weren’t a lot of people on the trail either (which I prefer) Can’t wait to do this beautiful hike again!

Strenuous climb but well worth it. The bristlecone pine forest is beautiful. I had to stop myself from takin pictures of every tree.

The Rain Tree is not at the end of this hike but a little past the midway point. I posted a picture showing where the tree is on the AllTrails map. The rest of the hike is worth the trip; you end up on a ridge with steep cliffs. You may be disappointed if you expect the trail to end in an even better tree.

My Garmin had the distance a little shy of 6-miles,taking the north loop trail (as shown) up to the Raintree. Pretty solid 1,900-foot elevation change on the ascent from the parking lot at the north loop trail at 158. The elevation gets to just shy of 10,000 feet so will get to you on this steady climb. We hiked in early March so there was still some significant snow on the trail and micro-spikes and poles were needed. We had a great time and some of the views were tremendous.

This is a challenging hike, not for the faint of heart. There are steep areas and switchbacks, and the elevation kinda started to kick my butt. But, it was worth it. The tree was magnificent and I was never bored.

amazing trail despite some of the debris I found.

Strenuous hike but well worth it once you get to the top. The temperatures right now are brutal so dress warmly!

Good strenuous hike. Tree at the top was really cool. Great views.

I love it. The hiking is hard but an enjoyable challenge.
an awesome experience.
The view is amazing.

excellent

So my friend and I attempted to do Mummy Springs (which follows the same path but goes off to the right after Raintree), but we could only make it to Raintree. I feel like whoever created the Mummy Springs page was lying to themselves because that hike is NOT 5 miles round trip and is NOT moderate. I do 5k's and 10k's and a bit of uphill training for them and this hike almost killed me.

So just be warned: this hike is quite difficult but is it SO worth it. I'm writing this the day after our hike my legs hurt. However, the Raintree is SO cool and the views on this hike are SO great, that the pain is worth it. I will say this because we had no idea what we were doing: just keep climbing. When you think you've reach the Raintree, you haven't. There is a small wooden sign in front of the Raintree and you'll see some very defined trails going different directions. It's further than you expect but the trail is very well defined and pretty shady. Happy Hiking!

Loved Raintree and this hike. It was difficult. It was up, up and up! If you stay on it you can connect with Mummy or Trail canyon. Which the walls at Trail canyon are spectacular! I still recommend starting on this side, there's better tree cover and the views stay with you more.

A nice challenge up to Raintree. What I loved most were all the surprises and changes in living scenery and mountainscapes along the way. Kept the trek stimulating. Well worth the extra bit from Raintree to refreshing Mummy Springs, with its own flourishing ecosystem. If you think Vegas only glitters, try exploring the natural palette all around the valley and up on Charleston.

We did the hike long the North Loop Trail to the junction with the Trail Canyon Trail. It was great with awesome views. Very easy to follow. I do have one comment about the accompanying map. The trail in the map is the North Loop Trail to the junction with Trail Canyon Trail. The Raintree Bristlecone tree is at the junction of Mummy Springs which is only 2.8 miles from the trailhead not 3.5 miles.

Beautiful views!

Great hike with awesome views. Trail was easy to follow. Many switchbacks on this trail. Pace yourself and rest when needed. Start from the North Loop trail and follow it until you hit the junction for Mummy Springs.....Raintree is directly behind the sign, can't miss it. Incredible to see!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

I loved this trail. It is quite strenuous due to the elevation gain and switchbacks compromising the whole trail. However, if you are in moderate shape and take breaks you can do it no problem. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. I had to turn back just before the raintree due to it still being very covered in snow at the top. Made it halfway up the snowy part but the snow was not well packed and made the going slow and slippery- didn't want to chance an injury. Still, even without getting all the way there it is breathtaking and you have 360 degree views from the mountaintop. This trail was very light in traffic on a Sunday morning- if you start early you would probably see only one or two other people, the solitude is amazing. Highly recommend!!!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

I've done this hike twice, and today brought our 4 kids (1, 8, 14, and 16 years old) and two dogs. Our 8 year old was ready to turn back about halfway there but toughed it out and was super happy to get to have his lunch on the roots of a 3000 year old tree. Not easy but beautiful and totally worth it. I'm pretty out of shape and was able to do it with a 20 pound baby on my back. Just take your time and rest as needed.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

strenuous but beautiful hike

Monday, August 08, 2016

Fun hike!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Tried this trail last week, and due to late start, warmer weather, higher altitude and fast elevation gain which I was not quite used to, had to turn back 8 switchbacks above the viewpoint. y
Yesterday started earlier in the day, and made it to rain tree. amazing views, photo ops, things to see. Rounding the ridge at the high point and that first view of the mummy's toe ( a landmark most Las Vegans don't get that close to), the enchanted bristlecone forest,and finally the 3000 year old tree... wow what a spiritual experience. We knew it was going to be a great hike when, not a quarter mile from the trail head we saw deer 20 feet or less away.

The trail is well marked, a little rough in some short sections. a great cardio workout at 8400 to 10,000 ft elevation. The rewards are many! We will definitely go back!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This hike is a GREAT workout, and can be done in 3-4 hours so it's a great early morning or evening trail. This hike is only difficult because of the steep rise in elevation, so don't let that deter you! If you're a beginner, you can make it a half day and take plenty of breaks to catch your breath and eat lunch.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Beautiful but trails are not clearly marked. Quite difficult for me as the elevation gain is pretty steep.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

It is an enjoyable hike. Not really that difficult if you are in moderate shape. I went in the middle of March and there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground. This made some areas really difficult to follow the trail as some people had marched through snow banks so I was inclined to follow footsteps that led the wrong way. On the way down I stepped off the trail at some point and wandered for about an hour until I found it again. I'd imagine during the summer months this hike would be very very excellent but because of the poor trail markings I can only give it an average rating

Monday, June 29, 2015

This was a good escape from the "extreme temperatures advisory" in effect in the Las Vegas basin... around 110 degrees at the time.
Other than cooler temperatures at 8500 feet, this short(ish) hike has a lot to offer.
(1) Living near see level, and wanting to do long hikes at "high" altitude (10K-13K), I used this trail as a "trial run" to acclimatise myself before tackling more challenging routes (I hiked Charleston Peak the next day for example).
(2) The chance to come in contact with a ~3000 year old creature such as Raintree is a treat.
(3) The scenery/views all around (Mummy toe to the West, Kyle Canyon to the south, Vegas Basin to the South East, etc.) are worth the hike by themselves.
(4) The bristlecone pines forest by itself is quite magical with its very colorful and twisted trunks; some areas do have a feel of "enchanted" or "haunted" forest, depending on your state of mind :-)

Only word of "caution" is that I went on a Sunday and I never felt in danger of suffering from Acute isolation Syndrome...what with a throng of fellow hikers going my way or coming from the other direction.

The only "minus" side of my visit to Raintree was witnessing too many folks not being aware of, or not minding at all, the fragility of the ecosystem in this area and in particular around Raintree. It was not too hard to sit down about 50 feet away from the tree, on a dead tree trunk or rock, and yet still enjoy this special place.

I am adding a link to a very good hiking site I discovered when looking for routes in the Vegas area.
(http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/Mt_Char/Raintree/_Raintree.htm)

Monday, June 01, 2015

Not in the best shape and did it with no problem. 2 liter bladder was not enough water. Beautiful training trail.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Got my ass handed to me by the altitude, but finished strong! You can't do this without some decent cardio ahead of time, in my humble opinion.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pretty strenuous as it's uphill the entire way. Over 1500 feet elevation gain. A breeze on the way back! Raintree is totally worth it - Great views, enchanted looking bristlecones.

Monday, November 24, 2014

This is an great hike. My only recommendation is to wear warm cloths if you intend to this trail in late november as I did.

Monday, October 06, 2014

Start early in the day.. Saw folks going up late afternoon and had to turn back..