Prospect Trail

Prospect Trail is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Overton, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 800 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great walk with lots of opportunity to explore the beautiful walks. Be sure to stay to the left as you start out so you catch the trail head. We accidentally walked right by it and continued to follow the road. Great conditions.

Worth every second and stepa

Excellent trail. Colorful rocks. Stunning White Dumes.

Started at the main highway, trail is pretty well marked by posts, though we did miss a marker a time or two but the alternate route led the same way. Great views, cool rocks, generally easy hiking. We were a little unclear where the end of the trail met the White Dome trail since most everyone walks in the wash, but you can turn back at any point, really.

Started at White Dome and turned back after 5.5km for time, completed 11km in 3hrs. The trail is very well marked (follow the white poles). It is a bit rocky and sandy in many parts so a little bit slow going but easy. Had to climb a few rocks but would not be an issue for most. Spectacular rock formations, well worth it in my view.

We enjoyed this hike very much. Started at the main road and parked in the little lot there hiking to the white dome hiking trail and back. It ended up being 10.88 miles round trip. Rough terrain in some areas. We saw two desert big horn sheep which was a real treat! The white dome trail has an area of shade in between two massive rock cliffs that allowed us to have our half way snack break in the shade w a cool breeze. Sun screen and water carried in is a must for this hike! Boy Scouts marked the trail with white poles w yellow tape at top. Easy enough to navigate, but you have to be looking for them.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

We didn’t make the the entire trail length because of time constraints. We made it a little over 3.25 miles in before turning around (parked at the south entrance). It took us about 3 hours to for the 6.5 miles, and I’m a slower hiker. Trail was pretty clearly marked except a small patch or two when you had to scramble up or down some boulders. I enjoyed it and would like to make it the whole way. It was phenomenally gorgeous!

Monday, April 23, 2018

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

A great trail with a decent about of challenges to keep the hike fun. Beautiful scenery in all directions. My sister and I hiked from the trailhead towards the white dome loop. We never made it bc towards the end the obvious trail disappears and boot prints take off in multiple directions. At the same time, the few markers that exist stop all together. We tried to figure out where to go but weren't willing to risk getting lost while on the count down to sunset. Still a fabulous day hike!

Friday, December 08, 2017

It was a beautiful hike, we did the full trail and added the White Dome Loop at the end since it’s right next to it. It took us approximately 3.5-4 hours, with short breaks to take pictures and enjoy some snacks. We found the bed rock a little annoying to walk on, but such is the nature of the trail. Also, it’s pretty well marked considering it’s an unmarked/unkept trail.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Beautiful hike with views of rock formations with many different colors. If you are making a loop with White Domes Trail, I would recommend parking at White Domes and go south and then connect with the Prospect Trail, this way most of the trail at the end will be downhill. There are some amazing side canyons on the trail that are stunning in color and striations. This is a great trail but it was a bit long and we did the 10 miles in 8 hours with many stops for photos and food breaks.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Someone needs to edit the description because it is definitely not 1 mile. The signs read that the trail is not marked, but it is. All you have to do is look for the markings. We got off trail a couple of times but we always found our way back to after. My wife and I did 5.1miles to White Dome and 4.9 miles back. We saw diverse rock formation and color. My wife actually spotted a tomatillo plant with actual tomatoes in the middle of nowhere (2.5 miles in). If you enjoy adventure, definitely do this trail, you wont regret it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Beautiful and diverse rock formations. Moderate to easy but you can jet off course and conquer a cliff or gully at any given time- arrive early and allow at least 3-4 hours, perfect for packing a lunch and enjoying the day. Can get crowded around the parking areas but thins out fast as you hike back in. Stop and enjoy amazing views!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Awesome hike ..definitely not a mile ..I added in the white domes loop and hiked back to prospect trail head and clocked about 10 miles ..so be prepared for at least 9 miles there and back ..well worth it though ,easy miles too ..trail is split between a designated easy to follow trail on hard packed surface and some river bar, rock scrambling sections too ..weather was great ..all around good times

Saturday, December 10, 2016

This trail is actually a 5.5 mile hike up to White Dome trail. Around 3.5 miles in there is some light climbing involved which adds some fun to the hike. My wife and I had a great time doing this trail. Once you get to White Domes you are rewarded with tons of neat, different things to gaze at! My wife and I decided to hike back battling what daylight we had left. Ended up hiking over 11 miles total up and back. We will do this trail again for sure with the kids soon!