Pinyon Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gardnerville, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

Wonderful views of the Carson Valley. Was pretty windy. no shade but good fall hike.

Trail was amazing!!! Got caught up there after dark though, no moon. If it wasn’t for my canine we probably would have taken a lot longer to get back to the trailhead. His eyes were far better than ours lol. I’ve done this trail several times over now, and I don’t know why people keep saying there’s no shade. There’s pinyon pines and junipers everywhere! This is NOT an open desert trail. It’s pretty open but saying there’s no shade is a huge stretch.

Easy but fun trail! Can do in 35- an hour depending on your level!

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a nice short workout or beginners just getting into biking. It’s very easy and you can go both ways on the loop although I recommend going right.

Awesome hike, beautiful view and very well maintained!

Beautifully designed single track that is flowing and nicely maintained. I cannot wait to spend a day looping it on my bike. Views of the eastern Sierra are great as well as a valley on the eastern traverse. most of the upper loop is varying traverse and looks as though counter clockwise might yield the most DH. Very easy gradual climbing throughout.

This is a great trail for winter hiking! Some sections of the trail had patches of packed snow, and there were many areas of mud to avoid. However, that is to be expected and is worth it in order to enjoy a hike in December. The views of the Carson Range were spectacular. I cannot agree with the rating of moderate for this trail, as there is not a single strenuous or technical stretch. We did it today with my four year old who did not require any help from the adults in our group. Looking forward to doing this one again!

Thu Sep 13 2018

Perfect moderate ride on a narrow trail, no injuries.

Mon May 28 2018

I’ve been on this trail twice and enjoyed it both times. The grade isn’t too steep, so you get some gradual, steady ups, then a nice break on a downhill stretch. Trail is pretty well-maintained, good for running. My dog has a blast, too! Beautiful views! You just have to be aware that motorized vehicles cross the trail in a few places, but the xings are well-marked, and I only saw one motor bike total for both trips. In the summer it probably gets pretty hot since there is minimal if any tree cover. So far, I’ve only been in the spring with temps in the 70s.

Thu Apr 19 2018

Nice views of the valleys, very well maintained, well marked with some interesting rock formations. There’s a ditch that’s mostly filled in and looks like it’s possibly an old mine shaft. Easy hike, not too tough at all.

Sun Feb 04 2018

Great trail to bike or hike for beginners. We took the bikes and finished in 45 minutes. We considered doing the loop at the top a few times, but the sun was setting. I wish we did. From the loop to the beginning of trail too only 8 minutes to descend, with 2 stops.

Thu Sep 21 2017

Difficulty level is between easy and moderate. Minimal climbing but 5 miles. A lot of winding around a fairly small hilly terrain area. Nicer for mtn biking than hiking in our opinion. You could gather pine nuts in early Sept. Nice views of Carson valley.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Great trail! Some technical sections, but all in all, a fun loop!

Fri May 19 2017

This is a great year around trail as it gets much less snow than the nearby Carson Range. The trail is suitable for running, hiking, mountain biking, and equestrian use. Easy to reach by heading east on Pine Nut Road 2 from the town of Gardnerville, NV. Well marked parking area suitable for horse trailers is maintained by the BLM. While this is a non-motorized trail there are many nearby OHV trails in the general area. This trail was constructed by and is maintained by the Carson Valley Trails Association (www.carsonvalleytrails.org).