Pine Creek Canyon Trail

Pine Creek Canyon Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 515 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climbers will know Fern Canyon from the Dark Shadows climb. Most climbers follow the upper path, which is a dirt/rock trail that works it way WNW under cliffs N of Pine Creek. If you enjoy bouldering, you can follow the stream up the canyon instead or you could easily miss the many ponds, pools, ferns, and lush vegetation. Use the dead pine in the photo as a landmark for when to leave the dirt/rock trail and enter the streambed. Follow the stream PAST the climbers launch for Dark Shadows, and turn the corner heading W into the canyon as the cliffs narrow above (N of Mescalito). As the canyon narrows, continue bouldering (class II and III), or scramble up the many game trails (very steep and rocky) to the end of the canyon (ends in seasonal waterfall).

Great hike! We went with our 12 yo, 10yo, and 8yo. Once we figured out to stick in the creek bed, we had lots of fun. On the way out it was hot (Alaska Standards) and in the sun. We found shade in the cliff caves! The ponds of the creek bed were full of life and fun for the kids. The bouldering was fun and a bit challenging for the kids.

Beautiful evening hike. Relatively easy, but steep return. We saw less fit people struggling. It is not totally flat. Homestead midway is concrete so not that old of a building. Pink sand is beautiful. Saw a tarantula.

The view is clear and flat in the beginning with few rocks. As you get closer to the creek, you begin to see more boulders and trees. The trail begins to get rocky and the further you move in, there is some scrambling to do. I have a dog with shorter legs so the trail would have been fine for him in the beginning where it is flat, but he would have had difficulties toward the middle/end where there was scrambling. Ultimately, I am glad I didn’t bring him along this trail. I am thankful for the trail markers (the small tower of rocks that people made) that were present when we were near the creek because that’s when the trail became a little unclear. It was totally fun to try and find a route to get across, but we are ultimately not sure if we made it to the end of the trail. We made a loop at the end and on the way back, there were some rocks that were spray painted red, so that was really helpful in finding a good way back. Overall, I really liked the various foliage and views, from clear desert to close trees with water in the creek to a tall grassy field on the way back. The weather was also PERFECT today!

Somewhat challenging trail with very good views of the canyon and the mountain range.

starts out fairly mundane but gets more interesting with a rise in elevation and topography once you split left at the fork/loop. there was still a running creek after the split, date 7/13. there was still plenty of light in the shadow of the mountain at 6:30pm local.

One of my favorite trails out at Red Rock and now that the parking lot has been updated it's even better.

This is one of the best trails off the scenic drive. Hike down 15 minutes and make a left at the first trail and have a picnic between rare tall pines. Keep going and you’ll end up scrambling over the creek into the canyon. There’s lots of nature and be prepared to get a little wet if you go far in the spring. Follow my adventures on Instagram @natecheckmate

Some areas were hard to follow the map. I did enjoy this trail very much, but it was slightly over grown! Making it to the small creek/ water at the end was worth it! Take a hammock and chill out!

recorded Pine Creek Canyon Trail

Beautiful! We came right after some rains, and the wildflowers were incredible and the creek was running. We didn’t make it all the way to the end of the trail, as we got a bit lost and my mom isn’t the biggest off-reader. Would recommend.

Beautiful! Easy to get off the trail. All Trails helps. ❤

This trail is on the easy side till about 1.5 miles in when there’s some thick brush and the creek. I would have kept going but my family didn’t want to get their feet wet. Next time.

beautiful. peaceful. good workout

I liked the trail for the most part but the deeper you get into the canyon the more it seems like your off trail. Dogs can go on the trail but some of the trail is kind of sketchy for them. Overall though I really like the trail. You see a lot of wild flowers and some water too.

Starts out as a nice landscape and easy walk, gets more challenging and scenic as you trek closer to the canyon. At the canyon the creek is much stronger and lots of small wildlife around and small ponds fed by the creek. The trail is not a straight out and back, you can make a loop back using nearby trails or the creek, especially if it’s dry.

Moderately challenging trail with gravel, sand, and some small boulders. The trail head is easy to find but pay attention along the trail. It is a straight out and back trail with a “button hole” loop near the cliffs. Great views. Sunny and 65 degree (F) day was perfect for this location.