Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Petroglyph Canyon Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sloan, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

historic site

Petroglyphs can be found along the 100 trail.

If you don’t like rock climbing, then take the 200 trail to get to the pictographs

Very pretty hike. Friendly staff too

Recommend stopping in the visitor center to say hi to the sweet, kind visitor contact. Makes you feel like there should be a jar of hard root beer barrel and butterscotch candies waiting for you! But there isn’t.
If hiking with younger hikers, go up the 100 trail and come back on the 200 trail. If you want a more strenuous workout, go up the 200, down the 100. Spend time scrambling/exploring the petroglyphs.

My son and I went up the 200 side and down the 100 side. It was about a 400-500’ elevation climb up the 200 side, but very do-able. Thank goodness we met up with another hiker coming up the 100 side (as we were headed back down) because we wouldn’t have known how to get down around the dry waterfall. Rocks immediately in the area were quite smooth and slippery. Overall, really good hike. My 12-year-old enjoyed it.

This is an easy, short trail 30 min from downtown Las Vegas. The petroglyphs are interesting, and you get a nice view of the city.

I want to go but I can’t pack my hiking bag and not bring my dog. He would be crushed.

Wanted to go, v bummed that no dogs are allowed.

Nice hike. I think we took about 90 minutes. We went up 100 and down 200 which I think was the good way to go. There are dry waterfalls on the 100 side to go up, but nothing very difficult.

I wasn’t too impressed until I got to where the loop begins. Like everyone said, pretty much all gravel on the 100 side and not too much to look at. Once you get to the loop and start to see the Petroglyphs, the hike definitely gets better. Loved coming down the 200 side and seeing the city view. Pretty easy, but enjoyable hike!

Great hike that’s easy enough for beginners but still a nice path for experienced hikers.

First day I hiked it took me 1hr 45min. I took my time and was more interested in sight seeing than a workout.

The second time I went (the route you see here) it took me 1hr 8min but I ran back for the final mile.

I’d say that at a comfortable pace it should take you 90-110min.

There is a lot of loose gravel and most of the route is flat. You’ll climb about 500ft of elevation over the hike.

Around the 3 mile mark the elevation decreases and it’s a nice downhill walk. Be careful at this point since the rocks can move and you can roll an ankle.

There are 4 spots where you have to climb a small boulder. The tallest one is about 10ft high.

Other than that, be sure to bring 24oz of water, at a minimum. That’s all I had but I tend to consume less water than the average person.

Enjoy!

Great trail easy to follow. Met caretakers along the way - incredible people. Hot and open trail.

Great trail - met caretakers along they way. Incredible people!! Very hot and open.

This is a very hot and unshaded hike, though not overly strenuous in other aspects. Pay careful attention to the few trail markers as to not wind up off course. The section with petroglyphs is rather short, but fascinating. The ranger at the trail head was very helpful.

if you bring a dog you are only allowed to do trail 101 witch is VERY poorly marked (if even marked I didn’t even see anything out there). I talked to the ranger when I got back in you must walk approximately 100 feet down path 100 (which clearly says no dogs) before you see the break off to path 101. I wasn’t able to do the hike after talking to the ranger due to heat.

We walked late so it was already hot at 2pm.. the dry waterfalls leading to the petroglyphs are quite challenging for hikers with kids. Nice experience still

Trail was well marked. The water fall area was beautiful and the petroglyphs were cool. The majority of the trail is through a sandy wash. Unless you enjoy hiking / running in sand and scree, I would avoid this trail.
The park closes at 4:30. Plan according.

GoogleMaps and the "Directions" tab on BLM website took me to wrong places. Look or Democracy Dr and Via Firenze intersection. Now it's paved all the way. Straight part of trail is pretty boring. I took trail 100 and went right at the marker. Some climbing but easy trail, well marked. You'll see first petroglyphs on the left as you start to go around the bend. Soon after you'll see them all around. Then you'll hit the 10ft dropoff. Pretty easy way climbing up and around the right side.The most interesting part of the hike. Take water and a snack. Loose gravel the whole way.

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

I took Option 2, the 200. The climb was pretty easy and the view was fantastic. Got a bit confused on the way back. There was a side route without any markings, but looked very used. I thought the petroglyphs were down that way. After a while I gave up and headed back down the 100. That’s when I found them! They are neat. Climbing down the waterfall is a bit tricky. I don’t suggest taking children or dogs. Biking is a definite no-go.
Really fantastic, except for the bit of confusion and the climb down the waterfall.

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Great option to get away from the normal Las Vegas crowds

Friday, February 16, 2018

We had a great experience today, our 8 year old crushed the trail! Not an issue following trial, fairly easy finding markers and staying on course! Great hike! Petroglyphs were exciting to see!

Friday, February 16, 2018

Petroglyphs were awesome, waterfalls were fun to scramble up. Fun trail all around. Great staff at the ranger station.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

wonderful Trail to amazing petroglyphs! Trail was easy to follow. Not sure why the person before had such trouble. There is one dry waterfall to climb up right before the petroglyphs but easy to do. Highly recommended.

Monday, February 12, 2018

The trail is very poorly marked. For those planning to do the whole loop study the map carefully and pay close attention to the 100/200/300 sign posts. I’m an experienced hiker and went off trail both times I hiked here. Today I went 10.5 miles on a supposed 3.8 mike hike. I take some responsibility for not bringing a map but I’m shocked at how poorly marked it is, considering they do have a ranger station. Not sure if I dare to try this again, unless I have someone waiting to pick me up in Jean!

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

I hiked the 100 trail here, but could definitely see it being good for trail running as well. Most of the hike is on loose sand/gravel so wear footwear with some lateral support. There is no shade, bring plenty of water and sunscreen! The second half of the 100 trail is very cool, as you walk through the canyon and find petroglyphs on the rocks. It's pretty easy hiking, there are a few dry waterfalls that you have to climb up, but nothing too difficult. I wish I had had more time to do the other trails!

Saturday, February 03, 2018

It was a fairly easy hike with some rock scrambling. The petroglyphs were amazing! There were quite a few to look at.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Nice trail. Cool to see petroglyphs so close to the city.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Will definitely be doing it again. only ran into 3 people for the 3 hours I was on the trail. The petroglyphs were really interesting to see considering they've been dated 12000 years old.

Friday, December 29, 2017

This is a very flat kind of boring trail, we did the 101 because we have dogs and a very nervous security officer made it very clear, that dogs Have to be on leashes at all times and we are only allowed to do one trail. What a waste of money and nature! Would only recommend this hike for families with tiny little children, who have nothing else to do.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Close to town, easy trail, Dont know why it's tagged no dogs though..I brought mine(on leash) and no issues saw few other pups as well

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Beautiful hike with great views looking down into anthem

Monday, November 13, 2017

Loved this hike. Had some difficulty climbing up some rocks, but the petroglyphs at the top were worth I️t! New favorite local hike!