Peavine Peak Trail

Peavine Peak Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Easy to get lost on the way back cause of all the side trails, but overall great hike really felt it in the calves.

Good conditioning trail. Next time will go up the trail and down on the dirt to make it easier on the knees. Lots of side trails easy to get lost

Challenging but worth the bragging rights. Steep in many places. It took me about 3.5 hours total.

Stay in the bottom of the canyon for the first couple of miles. It’s not labeled at all.

The elevation gain and planning for the weather are the main challenges for this trail. 4-6mph gusts at the bottom and a steady 40 mph at the top. Had a 33 lb. pack on with the grand baby in it. It was a challenge!

Not quite a 4 because parts of the trail were eroded from water, and parts were so steep, switchbacks would have been better. Still, the views were incredible and we were proud of the climb we did. Take water and snacks!

Better be in shape for this one. The trail is not marked but with GPS it’s easy to figure out. Well worth the effort. The first part of the trail is easy and scenic but progresses to fairly steep climbs and then the easy part on the Peavine road. Great views from many points on the trail.

This trail was brutal, not gonna lie. As someone with moderate trail history, this route took the cake. Vertical climbs in sections were extremely difficult. Overall length of the trail made this a real endurance challenge. But we did it, and it was super rewarding. The views of the city were really cool from such a high vantage. Be sure to use the app stay on course.

It was really sad how much litter there was on the trail. Couches, shotgun shells. There were some pretty hard hills and it's easy to get confused by all the different paths. Would never do this hike in the summer as there is no shade. Definitely a good workout though and once at the top, it was a beautiful view.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

5 miles of straight up hill was pretty intense but the view was worth it all!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

I, also, recommend using a hiking app, as there are many, many different roads. The trail is steep, and parts of it are sandy, and, other parts large-rock gravel (baseball size). Tough, but fun.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

There are many ways to get up to the peak, but I highly recommend using what is suggested by this app. It is a smaller trail, and follows the creek all the way to the top. May be difficult to find at first, but it provides the best scenery, and is the most gradual incline. I made the mistake of taking another way up that I found incredibly rocky and steep.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Excellent yet difficult hike. Me being out of shape I was able to make it to the top but it took me a while. I mistakenly went right at the Y instead of left which left me with some difficult inclines to get to the top. The views are well worth it once you get there. Round trip took me about 5 hours. Ran into some atvs and motorcycles along the way as there is a road (peavine I believe) that can get you pretty high up.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Hiked it for the first time last year. Sure there was one reeeeally steep spot but made it. Down was a different story, I wished I had better boots. Beautiful view and we didn't even go all the way up (about 1/2 way). Excited to go again this year and planning to spend the entire day instead of just part of it. We're planning on going all the way to the towers. At almost 60 and having an office job with not much physical activity, I was quite please with myself.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Very Steep Hike!! Make sure you have a very very strong endurance in walking constantly on an incline motion..It was really hard you need to be really fit ad strong to do this Hike its not easy!! Very Hard! On a lighter note well worth the amazing views overlooking the whole part of Reno and Sparks!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

so it was hard.... but early on when the trail forked and I went left instead of right and it took us straight up onto an incredibly challenging hike. fantastic views though. then when we met back up with the trail some lovely drunks were shooting their guns in our specific direction. when we got back on the normal trail it was significantly easier but still quite steep in spots, so be careful.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

In early morning this is a super quiet spot. I have yet to run into one person! I like this hike because it is easy to get to. pretty views, but yes, steep! There is a large pile of trash on one of the paths which was a bit of a bummer but I still love this lil area :)

Friday, July 15, 2016

I love flossing my ATV up
This hill. I own the vine! LEGEND

Monday, May 09, 2016

Steep! A lot of motorcycles. Great views, but much more difficult than I thought it would be.

Monday, February 02, 2015

Lots of shooting in the area, even though it is posted restricted. I walked to the top with 20 lb pack & 2 liters water pouch. Very windy at top so pack a light jacket. I wen on a fine day in November & didn't adjust for the short day and ended up walking 2 hours in the dark back down!

Monday, January 26, 2015

Never again.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

I saw Peavine Peak from my back porch after moving to Reno on August 1st. I said to myself "I can't keep looking at that mountain and not climb it...every time I see it without having climbed it, it's going to bother me."

I parked my car off the dirt road that escapes Kings Row and made my way to the top visually.

Much of this hike was off trail, but because of the relatively barren landscape, it's easy to find your way to the top. But it's longer than it looks! This route was just under 5 miles -- all of which are straight uphill!

off road driving