Peavine Peak Trail

Peavine Peak Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The elevation gain and planning for the weather are the main challenges for this trail. 4-6mph gusts at the bottom and a steady 40 mph at the top. Had a 33 lb. pack on with the grand baby in it. It was a challenge!

Not quite a 4 because parts of the trail were eroded from water, and parts were so steep, switchbacks would have been better. Still, the views were incredible and we were proud of the climb we did. Take water and snacks!

Better be in shape for this one. The trail is not marked but with GPS it’s easy to figure out. Well worth the effort. The first part of the trail is easy and scenic but progresses to fairly steep climbs and then the easy part on the Peavine road. Great views from many points on the trail.

This trail was brutal, not gonna lie. As someone with moderate trail history, this route took the cake. Vertical climbs in sections were extremely difficult. Overall length of the trail made this a real endurance challenge. But we did it, and it was super rewarding. The views of the city were really cool from such a high vantage. Be sure to use the app stay on course.

It was really sad how much litter there was on the trail. Couches, shotgun shells. There were some pretty hard hills and it's easy to get confused by all the different paths. Would never do this hike in the summer as there is no shade. Definitely a good workout though and once at the top, it was a beautiful view.

5 miles of straight up hill was pretty intense but the view was worth it all!

I, also, recommend using a hiking app, as there are many, many different roads. The trail is steep, and parts of it are sandy, and, other parts large-rock gravel (baseball size). Tough, but fun.

There are many ways to get up to the peak, but I highly recommend using what is suggested by this app. It is a smaller trail, and follows the creek all the way to the top. May be difficult to find at first, but it provides the best scenery, and is the most gradual incline. I made the mistake of taking another way up that I found incredibly rocky and steep.

Excellent yet difficult hike. Me being out of shape I was able to make it to the top but it took me a while. I mistakenly went right at the Y instead of left which left me with some difficult inclines to get to the top. The views are well worth it once you get there. Round trip took me about 5 hours. Ran into some atvs and motorcycles along the way as there is a road (peavine I believe) that can get you pretty high up.

Hiked it for the first time last year. Sure there was one reeeeally steep spot but made it. Down was a different story, I wished I had better boots. Beautiful view and we didn't even go all the way up (about 1/2 way). Excited to go again this year and planning to spend the entire day instead of just part of it. We're planning on going all the way to the towers. At almost 60 and having an office job with not much physical activity, I was quite please with myself.