Ophir Creek Trail

Ophir Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Washoe Valley, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 north to the west end of Tahoe Meadows. This will lead you to the Ophir section of the trail. Alternatively you can travel along Highway 395 to the Davis Creek regional Park.

We parked and started at Ophir trailhead up to rock lake. It was more gradual one way up was 4 miles. There are quite a few parts trail not well marked. Some part of the trail you literally hike on a creek. Rock lake was pretty and different. We came down on another trail that lead un into the campground. It was super steep but seem like a little shorter.

Amazing trail, amazing views. felt like a different world and so close to town. just peaceful and fabulous. my dogs loved the trails too!

I wanted to hike to price lake but the distance listed is wrong! I hiked Ophir trail and passed the turnout for red lake and continued up, because almost all of the trail is up, then when it flattened out I realized I probably had another hour so I turned around. Took the red lake trail and had lunch there, the scrambling in the rocks can either be fun or annoying depending on the person.. overall I hiked 10 miles mostly up and then back down, the steepness if the trail made me regret not bringing my hiking poles. Deeply forested with Jeffrey pines and manzanita in abundance.

A good workout, but mileage is off on here. It was more like 12 miles with a mediocre view compared to other hikes in the area.

Not sure the hike is worth the reward of Price Lake anymore. The lake is extremely overgrown, with no way to access the lake without getting wet. So bring some water shoes. Very little signage, but enough to get you there. The GPS logged it as a little over 11 miles to the lake, and back from Davis Creek parking lot.

Very steep, make sure you have enough water if going later in the day

great workout. little signage so got off main trail but back on. I must return for the upper price.

so beautiful but steep af

Awesome trail with a nice balance of shade and sun. Definitely steep and rocky but a fun challenge.

Completed-ish...The trail to Rock Lake was really difficult to follow, since there were so many off-shoots and very few signs. Absolutely bring a compass and know where you are going! Also be aware of how uphill the hike is! Gorgeous area; the two of us backpacked next to the river about 3/4 mile from Rock Lake. Our site was pretty isolated.

rock lake

Beautiful hike and with the snow gives a Narnia vibe in the desert.

Beautiful fall hike, lots of golden leaves, few hikers. Definitely one to do again!

Wow! Fabulous trail ride. A lot of DG and does technical with the large boulders. We are not able to get to Rock Lake. Boulders made it impossible to pass safely with our horses. My horse did fine without shoes. Narrow at points with steep drop offs lasting short distances. First time taking my young mare on a more technical ride, she did fine. There is quite a bit of elevation hike, but we stopped and tested as needed. Quite a few hikers, not bad. Parking adequate.

Sunday, September 09, 2018

01-Sep-2018 Great trail, little bit of a challenge since it's a near constant uphill, but it was fun. The views of Slide Mountain are really great, the hiker in front of me saw several bears; a Mom and her Cubs. I later found a still drenched chewed up baseball cap on the trail were the bears were seen at, so definitely keep alert. Not a beginners hike, but if you're physically active you'll be fine.

Monday, July 30, 2018

If you stay on the main trail this is not HARD. Trail is smooth with cool rock formations. I took the BP side trail up to upper price lake. Don't take this route unless you're advanced. The trail faded in and out, unless you got your leg's, head, topographic mapping @ peak you can get more than hurt. Lots of bear sign, one section just after multiple bear sign dangerous fall left and right. Main trail is the safest bet.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Beautiful! Good mix of shade and sun. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail at all.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

I LOVE this hike. The views are incredible, the air is clean, traffic light, perfect balance of sun & shade, climbs & walks; it's just exhilarating! Bonus: lots of geocaches on & off the trails! =]

Thursday, June 28, 2018

6-22-18: The hike was beautiful with a lot of inclines. We ran into a bear using the trail on the way down. It, thankfully, ran away. Would hike again with bear mace.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Beautiful trail, start early-this trail is heavily trafficked after 1000. The creek has a couple log water crossings at 1.7 miles. Our well trained pup was off leash most of the hike-we only leashed him a couple times when passing other dog owners on the way down.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Hiked up to Upper Price Lake. The trail although not well marked is easy to follow at this time of year. You will cross the creek several times and even go up through it for about 10 minutes. The last crossing just before the lake requires wading in knee-deep water for about 60 feet. Bring your sandals! At the lake we had lunch and on the way down we took a detour to Rock Lake adding maybe 1.5 miles to the itinerary for the out and return. It was well worth it and the lake with its red colored rocks and water lilies was breathtaking. The hike down was straightforward. All in all we spent close to seven hours, but it was well worth it.

Monday, October 23, 2017

First time hiking here. Does need to be marked a little better. Third time hiking overall. I got lost.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The hike was actually 10.36 miles but it was great. Scenic. Not well marked.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

7-22-2017 I enjoy this hike. You have to take shoes and socks off to cross the creek if you don't want them to get wet to follow the trail.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Beautiful hike but very wet from all the snow melt, waterproof boots definitely came in handy. There's a big stream crossing at the boulder field that everyone should be careful crossing.The stream is running VERY strong and fast.