Ophir / Davis Creek Trail

Ophir / Davis Creek Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Washoe Valley, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 north to the west end of Tahoe Meadows. This will lead you to the Ophir section of the trail. Alternatively you can travel along Highway 395 to the Davis Creek regional Park.

First time hiking here. Does need to be marked a little better. Third time hiking overall. I got lost.

The hike was actually 10.36 miles but it was great. Scenic. Not well marked.

Beautiful hike but very wet from all the snow melt, waterproof boots definitely came in handy. There's a big stream crossing at the boulder field that everyone should be careful crossing.The stream is running VERY strong and fast.

Hiked from Ophir trail head to Rock lake. (see my recording, made it a loop) Very challenging route, mostly snow the last third of the way. The entire route is covered by medium density pines... there's enough shade and enough sun. The snow was firm and walk-able. However, be very careful near the lake. I fell through the snow twice up to my armpits, and my feet were not touching the ground, some very large drops. I took a right turn on the way back to follow a trail on the south side of Ophir creek, some of the best views on this side of Mt rose.

The second half of the trail is mostly snow covered. Other parts of the trail have literally tuned into streams. It was my very first Snow Hike (without snow shoes) and loved it.

Some suggestions if you want to make it to the top...

* Nearly impossible with a GPS. Second half of trail is no marked at all. I used Alltrails on my iPhone and it worked great. I lost the trail a few times, but was able to get back on track easily.

* Don't attempt the upper half without waterproof hiking boots. You have to cross streams and walk in shallow water ponds in parts.

* There is a major stream crossing at the bolder field.

On the way down, I recommend turning where I put the marker "trail sign". It follows the south rim of the canyon down and has stunning views of the valley. If you take this way, the trail is very clear.

At the bottom, DO NOT follow my trail over the spillway. I ended up in someones backyard. Continue not he trail through the gate and turn left on the black top. Continue walking north on the road until you see where my trail goes left off the road. If follows a very nice path along the canal back to the trail head. This detour from the sign post turn was my favorite part of the hike. See the photos.

Amazing views!

Beautiful hike!

Hiked on 3/17-3/18 with the goal of overnighting at Rock Lake. We made it about 2 miles in until the trail was literally submerged in a snowmelt pond. Snow covered the rest of the trail from 5800' and above, so we decided to camp on the far side of the snowmelt pond along the canyon's edge overlooking Ophir Creek. An absolutely gorgeous hike with spectacular views, even if the majority of the trail is still inaccessible due to the snow.

Brilliant views and great terrain. All fer it!

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Great trail. Was nice to hike along a clear path and camp on a bed of pine needles. Multiple sites for camping along the trail. No permit required other than a fire permit. Hiked to Rock Lake but didn't find anywhere to set up camp, but it was worth a look.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

We didn't go all the way but the part we did do was fun and scenic!I love this hike

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Very scenic and more difficult than anticipated. The creek crossing was nice. Sat there barefoot for a while in the fresh water. Overall, the hike was well worth the long trip up the mountain.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Hiked to Rock Lake...pleasantly surprised at the water as I read one review that it was dry. Raced the weather down. Ophir Creek crossing a little wet!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I did the hike up to Rock Lake it was great. You cross a Creek and past that it gets more difficult(rocky) well worth it!

Friday, October 23, 2015

These reviews all stated going to rock lake which is all huge boulders. If you continue north west you will get to Price lake at the bottom of the slide on slide mountain. This is a beautiful lake with a rocks in hog wire dam on the outlet. The dam was placed there after the last land slide occurred.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Just hiked this today. Went up to Rock Lake, which is not a lake but huge orange boulders everywhere...quite interesting...about 4.5 mi there but very steep, rocky areas most of the way. Noticed a lot of bear poop so decided not to go any higher.

Monday, March 03, 2014

Hiked into Rock Lake from the Davis Creek Park trailhead. The first 3/4 mile climbs up Davis Creek to a little pass over to Ophir Creek. After another 3/4 of a mile and just before the boulder field at the Ophir Creek Crossing, the trail forks. The fork to the left is the Ophir Creek Trail. (I think the right hand fork goes to an old trail to Rock Lake.) After crossing Ophir Creek, the trail heads back downstream, but then goes around a ridge and starts heading upstream again. There is an Ophir Creek trail sign where a private road meets the trail. The trail follows some rock trenches at three different spots; watch your step. The Rock Creek Trail junction is 3.3 miles in (1.7 from the crossing.) It's about a half mile in to the little basin where the lake is situated.
A bit of an update...Rick Hackman, Bill Vance and I followed the above mentioned right hand fork at the crossing. It is the old trail to Rock Lake; steep and a bit hard to follow in places, but it gets you there (3/25/14.)

Sunday, October 06, 2013

This is one tough trail to run! Steep incline, elevation, and relentless climbing. I only did 10 mi in over two hours but I'm a flatlander. I would love to return and go all the way to TRT which I believe is 14-16 round trip with great scenery.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Just hiked this one today, with the wife and our 7 y/o daughter. She's real tough and hung in on the trail up to the waterfalls (by way of opting for the north side of the creek). I would not recommend it for most other young children, though. Lots of bush-whacking if going on the north side (just under the foot of Slide Mtn.). Please help out and put up some ducks as you pass through the trail, as many are missing. Great wildflowers this time of year, though...especially the Indian Paintbrush in a whole variety of brilliant reds and oranges. FYI: we chose this particular path in order to train for the Ruby Mtns. and Wheeler Peak in Elko and Ely (our upcoming vacation), but would not mind hiking it many more times in the future.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

I've gone up to rock lake and back and also discovery and nature. Discovery and nature are great for children but ophir is a little rough. Though my 4 year old can make it about a mile up this path with me. Great area.