Learn more

Ophir Creek Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Washoe Valley, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 north to the west end of Tahoe Meadows. This will lead you to the Ophir section of the trail. Alternatively you can travel along Highway 395 to the Davis Creek regional Park.

Wonderful hike, great views and well shaded. Easy access from highway but feels super remote.

These trails that lead up to rock lake or upper price lake are some of the more challenging in the area. The trail is fairly steep without many switchbacks. Great for getting as much of a workout as you want by regulating your speed. The granite rocks at the top are beautiful and give you a "walking on the moon" sensation.

Beautiful hike with lots of varied landscape. The whole way in is pretty much up but the first few miles are not too hard...the second few are very hard. At the top of the trail the rock formations are very cool. We logged over 10 miles going to Price Lake. It's worth the extra bit to go to the lake but be aware that the only way in has you walking through water for maybe 75 feet. Bring sandals or something if you don't want wet feet. We took off our shoes and went barefoot and I DO NOT recommend that. The rocky bottom hurts a lot!

This is a fairly challenging trail if you take it to Rock Lake or Price Lake or especially all the way to Tahoe Meadows. Its not always clear which way the main trail goes to pay attention. The trail is much in the shade and has some good uphill climbs if you want to get some cardio. Fairly well traveled.

Rated as a hard trail. My personal rating is sadistic! Bring your sticks, hydration pack, and gel or some kind of quick nutrition because you’re going to need it! Difficulty aside, on of the most beautiful day hikes the Eastern Sierra has to offer!

Really beautiful trail, definitely crowded today we encountered a lot of trail runners but overall nice hike, mostly climb from the beginning.

Really lovely. No snow to Rock lake. Definitely straight up the mountain (trail does not really meander or switch back), but beautiful and not too crowded.

I hiked an out and back on Ophir Creek Trail from Davis Creek County Park (approx. 7.5 miles). I went all the way to where the trail follows County Road 315 and turned back (probably a mile from Price Lake. There is a bit of elevation climb on this one but it's well worth it. At the summit is a sort of flat, sandy area with lots of interesting rock formations. This trail also crosses the creek that has a boulder field caused by the Slide Mountain rockslide in 1983. Most of the trail is very shady. Access to Davis park is also very convenient and immediately off the freeway. It took me about 4 3/4 hours that included a stop for lunch. There also were not too many people hiking in the middle of the week

Great hike! Dogs did well. It was a little rocky but worth it. Didn't see any snakes

Trail path was easy to fallow. Got a good elevation hike, a walking pole will be helpful. The view going back is remarkably rewarding.

Only made it to the creek and back. Logged 5.5 miles. Great walk.

Beautiful trail! But it is definitely rated hard for a reason. We clocked it at 4.0 miles to the top and about 3 miles of that were straight up hill..not switch backs..straight up! Very pretty views along the way of the creek but the view at the end of the trail is unremarkable as you cannot see anything unless you climb some rocks. Definitely will be going to the lake next time.

Very nice hike, shady most of the way nice view of Davis creek canyon.

Beautiful

recorded Ophir Creek Trail

Beautiful trial in the woods. 3.9 miles to end of trail. Trail ends at 7,300 ft elevation. Nice flat-ish place with boulders near trail end. Nice picnic place. There was some snow at the top

Really beautiful trail full of conifer, manzanita, and fantastic views. We went up to price lake and rock lake; was a little longer than the description here, ~12 miles

*******Had a great time today, but I lost my dogs remote for her vibrating collar while on the trail. She’s a rescue and the collar is the only way I can get her attention. It was very expensive and I’d really love to get it back. It looks like a black walkie talkie with a few buttons on it. It’s black and red, theres a knob that controls with 1-7 on it If you happen to stumble upon this in the future, PLEASE PLEASE email me at Taylor.k.kockenmeister@gmail.com I was mostly on the discovery trail but explored on the other trails a little too.

This was a beautiful hike. It has a few areas that gain elevation pretty quickly and I ran into an area where the trail was hard to find/follow. It has some amazing views and well worth it!

I really enjoyed the hike, and it was super beautiful. This hike is challenging though. A lot of just straight up. We ended up hiking around 6 miles of the trail total. Still a lovely hike.

We did Ophir Creek from Tahoe Meadows to Davis Creek Regional Park, which is downhill and requires setting a shuttle (left a car at Davis and drove up to Tahoe Meadows). I wanted to do this uphill, but it was a colder day and I hiked the day before, so talked a friend into doing this with me. I had hiked Tahoe Meadows to Upper Price Lake and from Davis Creek to Rock Lake, so there was a small piece of the trail I had not been on. There are a few creek crossings, but easy to get across the logs that have been placed there. Elevation change is about 3,500 for the entire 8.5 miles, so having poles would be good. The topography change throughout the hike is awesome! Definitely recommend this one!

We parked and started at Ophir trailhead up to rock lake. It was more gradual one way up was 4 miles. There are quite a few parts trail not well marked. Some part of the trail you literally hike on a creek. Rock lake was pretty and different. We came down on another trail that lead un into the campground. It was super steep but seem like a little shorter.

Amazing trail, amazing views. felt like a different world and so close to town. just peaceful and fabulous. my dogs loved the trails too!