Old Geiger Grade Toll Road

Old Geiger Grade Toll Road is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Reno, Nevada that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for horses and off road driving and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

off road driving

Very quick and simple trail that any stock jeep or 4x4 truck could manage. Some off trail breakaways are fun to explore, some many need experience or modifications. Great overall for beginners or experienced looking for a quick 4x4 fix.

off road driving

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail! I have a stock, non-lifted Jeep Wrangler and never had any problems. The views were magnificent. Great, easy trail for beginners.

off road driving

This was my first time on this trail. I went in my pretty much stock 4x4 Colorado Z71. Scenic climb. Pretty rocky on the way up. We encountered a little snow and mud towards the top, but not too much due to the increase in temperature.

off road driving

Scenic but rocky trail with lots of ruts due to other vehicles and water erosion. Drove in February during a dry week but there were still lots of muddy areas on the lower elevation and light snow on the upper stretches.

Trail had signs of a few minor rockslides but nothing major. One part of the trail near the upper stretch was quite narrow due to a dead tree on one side and partial washout of the trail's edge on the other. Squeezed by without an issue but wider 4x4s may be precariously close to the washed out edge. Hopefully the next person or a local will have a saw or chain to remove the dead tree.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Easy 4x4 trail good for new people.

Once the paved part of Toll Road ends, the lower part of the old road is actually the rougher part with the part near Geiger at the top fairly smooth. Importantly, I have a non-lifted 4-door wrangler and while I needed to think about where I was driving on the road (there are some deep trenches in places from what I'm assuming was this past year's weather) i didn't bottom out once. The top part has been re-graded sometime recently. Note, this trail ends at the "Saddle" section of Geiger grade so if you want to continue to Virginia city you need to drive on the main road.

Nice ride, really bumpy, but a lot of fun and little stress. For a beginner off-road trail, I give this four stars.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

well I like this trail I've taken it with all my vehicles I have owned from 94 Pontiac am to 2000 mazda protege to 2008 Pontiac Grand prix to the current car I have now witch is 2000 dodge durango.The road over the years has gotten little more rough. But a year ago before I got rid of my grand prix it had no issues with it just watch rocks and take it easy. this is one of my favorite off road roads.

Friday, July 25, 2014

great trail to drive grand Cherokee with kids. fairly easy, great views, minimal rocks to go over.would be ok with 2 wheel drive suv...

Thursday, January 05, 2012

It is a good road for some basic 4x4 fun. Great views of Reno. You will see wild horses for sure. Watch for rattlesnakes in the rocks! Plenty of places for gunpowder therapy.

scenic driving
Friday, July 15, 2011

Our Magellan GPS directed us to this Toll Road. Of course it could not know that we were not in an Off-Road-Vehicle. We drove from Reno to Virginia City. It was the most dangerous trip I have ever taken. I had to maneuver my CR-V at times around boulders; other times drive on top of jagget stones in order for the vehicle not to bottom out on this one lane road. A few times all wheels started to spin in 1st gear as well as in reverse. It took a while to get going again. At one time the wheel base was just wide enough to be able to drive on top of the 6 an 12 inches wide ridges. Sliding off the right side ridge to the right would certainly be the end of the trip, the CR-V and -------! ? The passengers had to walk several times to lighten the load of the car to keep it from scraping the underside. Other times they had to clear small boulders out of the way.
After approximately 11/2 hours of tough maneuvering and nonstop praying we were safe once again.
My recommendation: Don't even think of taking this shortcut.