Old Geiger Grade OHV Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(54)
Reno, Nevada

Old Geiger Grade OHV Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Reno, Nevada that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,289 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

NOTE: You may need a high clearance vehicle in some areas.

Very nice road. Hard to find a parking spot and my GSP said I had arrived and to turn left but there was a steep wall of dirt, hahaha! Not a lot of people on this one. I wouldn’t consider this easy, it was moderate. There was shade, pretty views, and my dog loved it. The cars going up and down Geiger Grade was confusing me at times. It always sounded like there was a car coming up behind me.

ohv/off road driving

Good views. Easy drive. It was nice to get out of the house for a short drive.

Great hike on a warm winter day. Great for all ages.

icy

Good beginner trail, easily done with a stock Jeep Gladiator Sport......

Super easy, would need a good all-terrain tire though.

Good Trail. Light snow. Great for our 1987 Suburban. Awesome views

Nice, super easy trail. 6 miles out and back. Actively being used by 4-wheelers and mountain bikers. Takes you up to the VC highlands. Great views of Mt rose. I parked a little lower than where the trail indicates to start. There is a large open space where parking is easy, I did not see a good place to park where the start of the trail indicated.

ohv/off road driving

Overall not too bad, need some clearance in some areas. Couple rock slide areas made some narrow spots more narrow with long drop offs directly below, jeep sized vehicles are fine but full size trucks might be a little tricky. I didn't even need 4x4 the whole trail with 33' ko2's. Beautiful views at the top.

ohv/off road driving

Great offroad trail with lots of other trails you can take off the main trail. Saw a wild horse, some sheep being herded by 3 dogs as well as a bunch of other wildlife. Didn't run into anyone until we were overlooking Washoe Lake and that was only one person on an ATV. Definitely need something with some clearance in some spots. We were in a stock Jeep Sahara and didn't have any problems with anything. Terrain was mostly easy with some moderate spots to get through.

Sun May 05 2019

Super rocky trail up the eastern side coming off of the south access off Geiger Grade

Sun Apr 21 2019

Quick and easy beginners trail with some great views. A few washouts but nothing serious.

Tue Apr 16 2019

Great little off road trail. Took the ram rebel off-road for the first time. definitely narrow in some spots. but great views:

Sat Apr 13 2019

Great off road wrote. Took my TRD-Off Road Tacoma up this with no problem. The rocks were loose and sharp at some points, so I just took it slow (didn't have a tire deflator yet, though wish I had). Switched between 4Hi and 4Lo and 2WD at various points. 4Lo is really helpful for getting extra torque for the steep climbs and putting less pressure on the engine, but not necessary. There's a few points where my higher clearance was useful and I actually scraped the tow hitch on a washed out little ditch. But otherwise great views, lots of hikers. Some of the shelf roads and thin portions freaked out my passenger a little but there's nothing particularly edgy. Road was big enough for us to pass a backhoe on its way down safely. Highly recommend.

Sat Dec 22 2018

Great little drive. No problems with just the rear axle of my Tacoma locked, only needed 4x4 for the last half mile where the snow was slick. Plenty wide, only one switchback where a LWB may struggle. Cannot recommend any vehicle without clearance try this one.

Mon Oct 01 2018

Steady climb ending was some great views, and close to town.

scenic driving
Mon Sep 24 2018

Did this trail in a 2019 suburban, was a horrible idea yet beautiful views. Road was very rough although any 4x4 with high clearance will do fine.

Wed May 23 2018

Fun little run to take on a nice day up to Virginia City, only one small sketchy area that has a big of a run off. Cool photos to take along the way. Any 4x4 shouldn’t have an issue

Thu Mar 22 2018

I've been driving this trail for years, it's a good short beginner trial with some fun more challenging offshoots. Right now in March 2018 it's got some lower areas that are pretty washed out, but as long you have a basic 4x4 you should be fine.

Mon Mar 05 2018

I've been wanting to check this trail out for quite some time. I hiked it after several nights of snow, with melting during the day. Looked like all of the tracks from the 4X4's were headed down hill, the mud was quite slippery. They must have done some work to the road as there were no large rocks, no deep ruts. Very pretty area, minimal sounds from the highway. Hoped to see some mustangs, only saw tracks. Glad that I hiked it, I've been up rougher roads in rental cars!

Tue Feb 20 2018

Good trail to hit when heading from Reno to Virgina city. a lot of loose good size rocks. 4x4 with good clearance or skid plates recommended. took about 30 minutes or so. close to 4 miles .

Mon Jan 22 2018

Very fun shorter trail. Definitely would rate moderate for anyone in a full size truck, easy on an ATV or maybe a two door Jeep (anything narrow with a short wheelbase). Did this trail in my Tundra crew cab, and barely fit in a couple places, plus the trail winds along 70-100 foot drop offs in certain points (not as easy when your tires are on the edge). Very rocky in certain places, so be careful not to pop a tire, and watch for other traffic on the trail because passing is extremely difficult on most of the route. Amazing views and took about 40 minutes to complete at a slow comfortable pace. Would definitely do it again, and if I were in a more narrow vehicle I’m sure it would be even more fun and a little less hair raising.

Mon Oct 16 2017

Started out pretty rough and some narrow passes. Definitely needed four wheel drive in this area. I would call this section moderate not easy. Very beautiful views, we were in our 4x4 Jeep and we had to move very slow on this section. Then about half way it looked much better and probably maintained by the county. From there on out there was still very pretty views but that section was easy. There are a few homesteads in the easier section so that is probably why the road was better.

Thu Jun 01 2017

Very quick and simple trail that any stock jeep or 4x4 truck could manage. Some off trail breakaways are fun to explore, some many need experience or modifications. Great overall for beginners or experienced looking for a quick 4x4 fix.

Fri Mar 24 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail! I have a stock, non-lifted Jeep Wrangler and never had any problems. The views were magnificent. Great, easy trail for beginners.

Sun Mar 12 2017

This was my first time on this trail. I went in my pretty much stock 4x4 Colorado Z71. Scenic climb. Pretty rocky on the way up. We encountered a little snow and mud towards the top, but not too much due to the increase in temperature.