North Oak Creek Trail

North Oak Creek Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The wildflower blooms and snowmelt filling the creeks in spring may only be surpassed by the winter beauty of ice and snow in the canyon. Fall colors are spectacular, thanks to the ash, aspens, and willows. Brilliant purples of the western redbud contrast sharply against the green pines, mahogany, and junipers when early summer/late spring takes hold.

Liked the trail but make sure you keep this map open on have a relied upon back up trail is difficult to navigate due to path not being to clear, but if you hike u know what to look for great spots for pictures and resting to enjoy sights of red rock, bring plenty of water just in case and use off! Lot of flying insects

As others indicated, "trail markings" are not to be relied upon all that much. Natural navigation, footprints, compass, etc. definitely the way to go. Passed by a couple of solo hikers (like me) on my way in, as they were finishing up. Both with light packs. On the way out, a family of 4 with ZERO gear. Really? Veered off the "path" and blazed my own trail, hiking deeper into the canyone. I loved the solitude here!

Terrible trail marking. We ended up way off course several times. We had kiddos with us, so it was a serious bummer. Working our way back across desert landscape was no fun.

Very nice area trails not marked well there are trails all over guess you just pick one

It's not hard at all. Don't roll your ankles

Wonderful afternoon hike. The views of the mountains on the way in are spectacular. Very nice places along the creek to pull up a rock and enjoy a snack in the shade of oak trees. This is the perfect trail for a late afternoon hike.

Trail was beautiful with great approaching view of the mountain range. Although it was poorly marked as we hiked farther up. Really neat watering hole oasis at the top.

a fun little trail. follow the trail all the way around past the back bend to find the creek. we did some scrambling down to a very small section of the creek, fun, but the better creek views were ahead where we stopped for lunch! lots of small trails intersect with this one making it easy to veer off course a bit. would do it again!

the majority of the trail is through the dessert. Very scenic as you are walking towards the red Rock mountains with lots of colors. about 1.5 miles in the wildlife bursts out and you start hearing lots of small animals, birds and what not. When you go over a small hill down into a cavern at 2 miles it is like a little oasis. Creek is beautiful, crystal clear with little water falls. be sure to check tour trail on your way back as I found myself going to the wrong parking area and had to cut across. there are a lot of trails running parralel.

Great hike. Winter with some snow. Red Rock Canyon scenic drive was closed after 2 days of rain/snow so I went here. From the highway roadside parking it took almost an hour just to get close to the mountain pass. Once I was there I tried to progress between the high mountain cliffs where it then got pretty technical with some scrambling, and the bush got much thicker with no official trail. My trekking poles were definitely nice to have at that point and I even put my crampons to use to walk over some icy rocks. Will definitely go back in summer where going further up the creek will be much easier and safer. Beautiful runoff falls from melting snow from the towering cliffs when I went... Plenty of climbing and scrambling options short of the pass on the left (mount wilson) and right (rainbow mountain) as you approach. You can pretty much not stick to a trail and forge your own way in the area and explore and climb.

Awesome Creek at the end. Crystal clear water, so beautiful. great hike.

What a place to see ..wow!! Amazing views beautiful scenery ..was an amazing day .trails can be hard to follow but everywhere u go is great so who cares!! Trail eventually just becomes the creek it seems ,so be ready to scramble some ..will be back

Thursday, July 07, 2016

This trail is beautiful! You can access the canyon/trail from inside the Red Rock National Conservation Area or from Hwy 159 (if you don't want to pay to get into Red Rock, or the line at the entrance is too long).

As is pretty common for a trail in the desert mountains, there isn't much shade. If you go out here in the summer, you'll definitely want to be sure to apply sunscreen. The trail is pretty rocky, so be sure to watch your step - especially if you're not a super confident trail runner/hiker.

After a couple miles, you're treated to some gorgeous views, and if you go deep enough, you might be treated to some tiny waterfalls and pools.

Check out our video on YouTube that were shot along this trail:
youtu.be/Z5hZERlqyN8

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Great hike. Easy walk. Great views and some wild life.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Great trail! I've seen plenty of wildlife and awesome views along this trail. I also went in the rain and saw awesome waterfalls.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

To Elaine and others who take horses on walking trails...not to say that I wouldn't enjoy horseback riding! BUT when your horseback riding on WALKING - HIKING trails, sorry to say but the horse feces on the trails are horrible along with the many, many flies the feces attract. Just saying?? Something to think about the next time you go horseback riding and to maybe be conscience of those of us on foot.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Great hike with my nephew! We never made it to the creek but awesome trails through rocks, trees, and the canyon. Next time we're going even further!! And did I mention the beautiful views.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Just finished hiking and got a good workout. Nice place to go instead of gambling.... Lol. I ventured off trail and over some rock formations that were challenging and I was rewarded with views that were beautiful. I will definitely be back when I come back to vegas.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I have always hated visiting Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon changed all that.

Friday, November 23, 2012

This trail is a favorite with local equestrians as well since it's one of the few places you can introduce your horse to water crossings. We head southwest from the parking area at the end of the loop and follow the trail that takes you across the creek and up to the base of the mountains in the shade to take a lunch break before looping back around to the creek and back. It's about a 6 mile loop for us.

Most of the hikers we came across were extremely friendly and willing to engage in conversation with us, which helps to let the horses know that it's a person coming towards us and not a predator, we really appreciate that. We did have one couple that hid behind a tree and refused to answer me when I tried to get them talking. After we passed them one of our riders heard them talk to each other so they were English speaking, they apparently were not happy to share the trail with us though.