North Oak Creek Trail

North Oak Creek Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 518 feet Route Type: Loop

The wildflower blooms and snowmelt filling the creeks in spring may only be surpassed by the winter beauty of ice and snow in the canyon. Fall colors are spectacular, thanks to the ash, aspens, and willows. Brilliant purples of the western redbud contrast sharply against the green pines, mahogany, and junipers when early summer/late spring takes hold.

You can’t imagine how much water is in the canyon!

Completed on 05/10/2019. Beautiful Hike...had some light showers in the AM. I would recommend completing this hike in the early morning as there is not much shade. Mostly flat with some light hills.

This was a fun trail because there was so many different plants growing and even little sections that looked like forests with all the green! The only downfall is that the trail is only clearly marked in the beginning. We got lost about halfway in and it took us an hour to find the trail again. This hike didn’t have a very big elevation gain and was easy. The only reason I think it’s moderate is because of the distance and the trail being a little confusing but overall it was a fun hike! We did 6.7 miles and it took us only 3 hours on this trail.

This is a great trail! This time go round we saw tons of flowers! Cactus blooming! It was truly a delight!

Highly recommended! Beautiful location as you walk toward the gap between Rainbow Mountain (right) and Mount Wilson (left). The smooth walking trail gradually gets rockier, but is basically just walking for the first 1.5 miles. Once you get down in the valley between the peaks, it is very difficult to follow the trail, since at some points, its impossible to tell whether you've left the trail or if you just need to climb over a wall of boulders. It's impossible to get "lost" since the mountains overhead keep you oriented, so it's worth exploring the area even if you fail to stay on the trail. In some areas, the boulder climbing can continue for a very long time. By following cairns up toward the base of Rainbow Mountain on the right, you can take the same route that the climbers use to access the wall. This is a fun and beautiful route, but it's very steep, and a "slip" could result in a fairly long and dangerous tumble. I only made it about 3/4 up to the wall before turning around for safety. I made a 16-minute high-def video of my experience during this hike, if you want to see this for yourself. You can find it on YouTube with the title "Hiking Red Rocks, Nevada - North Oak Creek Trail".

Wandered off to the creek to soak the feet. Made for a great day

Like everyone else, the trail is hard to navigate but exploring is always fun just make sure you know how to get back. Also rolled my ankle... probably the worst part about it.

We found out what “ graupel “ is during this hike. We. Got pelted by it on and off. The western end of this trail was difficult to follow. We would come back to this trail on a nicer day.

The rocky part was a bit cumbersome, but great otherwise.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Loved it. Beautiful.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Easy walk. A bit of rocky rubble, but worthwhile. Views are incredible all throughout. Lots of wildlife to espy.

Monday, February 26, 2018

The way around the hill is hard to find and wilderness I do not recommend

Sunday, February 25, 2018

If you're looking for an easy Hike - This is it!. It pretty much goes straight no uphills or elevation plus the view is wide open and beautiful. My husband and I got so lucky to see some deer (nice treat). However, hiking boots would help a lot since the trail isn't just sand if not there's rocks everywhere and wearing normal shoes or sneakers would be quite uncomfortable. Therefore, worth it.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Liked the trail but make sure you keep this map open on have a relied upon back up trail is difficult to navigate due to path not being to clear, but if you hike u know what to look for great spots for pictures and resting to enjoy sights of red rock, bring plenty of water just in case and use off! Lot of flying insects

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

As others indicated, "trail markings" are not to be relied upon all that much. Natural navigation, footprints, compass, etc. definitely the way to go. Passed by a couple of solo hikers (like me) on my way in, as they were finishing up. Both with light packs. On the way out, a family of 4 with ZERO gear. Really? Veered off the "path" and blazed my own trail, hiking deeper into the canyone. I loved the solitude here!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Terrible trail marking. We ended up way off course several times. We had kiddos with us, so it was a serious bummer. Working our way back across desert landscape was no fun.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Very nice area trails not marked well there are trails all over guess you just pick one

Friday, April 14, 2017

It's not hard at all. Don't roll your ankles

Friday, April 07, 2017

Wonderful afternoon hike. The views of the mountains on the way in are spectacular. Very nice places along the creek to pull up a rock and enjoy a snack in the shade of oak trees. This is the perfect trail for a late afternoon hike.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Trail was beautiful with great approaching view of the mountain range. Although it was poorly marked as we hiked farther up. Really neat watering hole oasis at the top.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

a fun little trail. follow the trail all the way around past the back bend to find the creek. we did some scrambling down to a very small section of the creek, fun, but the better creek views were ahead where we stopped for lunch! lots of small trails intersect with this one making it easy to veer off course a bit. would do it again!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

the majority of the trail is through the dessert. Very scenic as you are walking towards the red Rock mountains with lots of colors. about 1.5 miles in the wildlife bursts out and you start hearing lots of small animals, birds and what not. When you go over a small hill down into a cavern at 2 miles it is like a little oasis. Creek is beautiful, crystal clear with little water falls. be sure to check tour trail on your way back as I found myself going to the wrong parking area and had to cut across. there are a lot of trails running parralel.