North Oak Creek Trail

North Oak Creek Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The wildflower blooms and snowmelt filling the creeks in spring may only be surpassed by the winter beauty of ice and snow in the canyon. Fall colors are spectacular, thanks to the ash, aspens, and willows. Brilliant purples of the western redbud contrast sharply against the green pines, mahogany, and junipers when early summer/late spring takes hold.

Loved it. Beautiful.

Easy walk. A bit of rocky rubble, but worthwhile. Views are incredible all throughout. Lots of wildlife to espy.

The way around the hill is hard to find and wilderness
I do not recommend

If you're looking for an easy Hike - This is it!. It pretty much goes straight no uphills or elevation plus the view is wide open and beautiful. My husband and I got so lucky to see some deer (nice treat). However, hiking boots would help a lot since the trail isn't just sand if not there's rocks everywhere and wearing normal shoes or sneakers would be quite uncomfortable. Therefore, worth it.

Liked the trail but make sure you keep this map open on have a relied upon back up trail is difficult to navigate due to path not being to clear, but if you hike u know what to look for great spots for pictures and resting to enjoy sights of red rock, bring plenty of water just in case and use off! Lot of flying insects

As others indicated, "trail markings" are not to be relied upon all that much. Natural navigation, footprints, compass, etc. definitely the way to go. Passed by a couple of solo hikers (like me) on my way in, as they were finishing up. Both with light packs. On the way out, a family of 4 with ZERO gear. Really? Veered off the "path" and blazed my own trail, hiking deeper into the canyone. I loved the solitude here!

Terrible trail marking. We ended up way off course several times. We had kiddos with us, so it was a serious bummer. Working our way back across desert landscape was no fun.

Very nice area trails not marked well there are trails all over guess you just pick one

Friday, April 14, 2017

It's not hard at all. Don't roll your ankles

Friday, April 07, 2017

Wonderful afternoon hike. The views of the mountains on the way in are spectacular. Very nice places along the creek to pull up a rock and enjoy a snack in the shade of oak trees. This is the perfect trail for a late afternoon hike.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Trail was beautiful with great approaching view of the mountain range. Although it was poorly marked as we hiked farther up. Really neat watering hole oasis at the top.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

a fun little trail. follow the trail all the way around past the back bend to find the creek. we did some scrambling down to a very small section of the creek, fun, but the better creek views were ahead where we stopped for lunch! lots of small trails intersect with this one making it easy to veer off course a bit. would do it again!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

the majority of the trail is through the dessert. Very scenic as you are walking towards the red Rock mountains with lots of colors. about 1.5 miles in the wildlife bursts out and you start hearing lots of small animals, birds and what not. When you go over a small hill down into a cavern at 2 miles it is like a little oasis. Creek is beautiful, crystal clear with little water falls. be sure to check tour trail on your way back as I found myself going to the wrong parking area and had to cut across. there are a lot of trails running parralel.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Great hike. Winter with some snow. Red Rock Canyon scenic drive was closed after 2 days of rain/snow so I went here. From the highway roadside parking it took almost an hour just to get close to the mountain pass. Once I was there I tried to progress between the high mountain cliffs where it then got pretty technical with some scrambling, and the bush got much thicker with no official trail. My trekking poles were definitely nice to have at that point and I even put my crampons to use to walk over some icy rocks. Will definitely go back in summer where going further up the creek will be much easier and safer. Beautiful runoff falls from melting snow from the towering cliffs when I went... Plenty of climbing and scrambling options short of the pass on the left (mount wilson) and right (rainbow mountain) as you approach. You can pretty much not stick to a trail and forge your own way in the area and explore and climb.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Awesome Creek at the end. Crystal clear water, so beautiful. great hike.

Friday, December 30, 2016

What a place to see ..wow!! Amazing views beautiful scenery ..was an amazing day .trails can be hard to follow but everywhere u go is great so who cares!! Trail eventually just becomes the creek it seems ,so be ready to scramble some ..will be back

Thursday, July 07, 2016

This trail is beautiful! You can access the canyon/trail from inside the Red Rock National Conservation Area or from Hwy 159 (if you don't want to pay to get into Red Rock, or the line at the entrance is too long).

As is pretty common for a trail in the desert mountains, there isn't much shade. If you go out here in the summer, you'll definitely want to be sure to apply sunscreen. The trail is pretty rocky, so be sure to watch your step - especially if you're not a super confident trail runner/hiker.

After a couple miles, you're treated to some gorgeous views, and if you go deep enough, you might be treated to some tiny waterfalls and pools.

Check out our video on YouTube that were shot along this trail:
youtu.be/Z5hZERlqyN8

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Great hike. Easy walk. Great views and some wild life.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Great trail! I've seen plenty of wildlife and awesome views along this trail. I also went in the rain and saw awesome waterfalls.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

To Elaine and others who take horses on walking trails...not to say that I wouldn't enjoy horseback riding! BUT when your horseback riding on WALKING - HIKING trails, sorry to say but the horse feces on the trails are horrible along with the many, many flies the feces attract. Just saying?? Something to think about the next time you go horseback riding and to maybe be conscience of those of us on foot.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Great hike with my nephew! We never made it to the creek but awesome trails through rocks, trees, and the canyon. Next time we're going even further!! And did I mention the beautiful views.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Just finished hiking and got a good workout. Nice place to go instead of gambling.... Lol. I ventured off trail and over some rock formations that were challenging and I was rewarded with views that were beautiful. I will definitely be back when I come back to vegas.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I have always hated visiting Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon changed all that.

Friday, November 23, 2012

This trail is a favorite with local equestrians as well since it's one of the few places you can introduce your horse to water crossings. We head southwest from the parking area at the end of the loop and follow the trail that takes you across the creek and up to the base of the mountains in the shade to take a lunch break before looping back around to the creek and back. It's about a 6 mile loop for us.

Most of the hikers we came across were extremely friendly and willing to engage in conversation with us, which helps to let the horses know that it's a person coming towards us and not a predator, we really appreciate that. We did have one couple that hid behind a tree and refused to answer me when I tried to get them talking. After we passed them one of our riders heard them talk to each other so they were English speaking, they apparently were not happy to share the trail with us though.

Monday, October 08, 2012

We accidentally hiked this trail instead of the First Creek trail that's about a mile down the road. We chose the west trail, which took us on a hike through the wash. It is a beautiful hike, but because I am still strengthening up from a broken ankle last Spring we were in search of something a little easier.

With all that said, it's a gorgeous hike; we took the trail slow and steady. I'm glad to accidentally have spent the afternoon exploring this area. It's definitely on my "we gotta go back there!" list.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Lots of flowering cacti. Went up some of the boulders on the dry river and had a nice picnic under the trees. Beautiful scenery. Our bull terrier roughed up his paw pads on the small rocks throughout the trail. Consider booties for the pups. Next time we'll go further up the boulders.

Friday, April 13, 2012

This was a nice hike once you got past all the small gravely rocks going in. Once you get back there you will find greenery and there is a stream back there also. It wasn't my favorite.

Friday, December 02, 2011

Really beautiful area for hiking, rock climbing and bouldering. The bouldering is especially beginner friendly as erosion has created a lot of handholds. I'd have given it 5 stars but it's a little crowded.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I like this hike for a chill afternoon. Not much elevation gain, close to home, and pretty scenery.

scenic driving
Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A great, serene place to explore, ironically only a few miles from gaudy Las Vegas (not a city I'm a fan of, sorry, but end up being in often, for various reasons.) The scenic drive (very well maintained) takes you through the canyon area that features awesome rock formations and cliffsides showing off eons old strata of greatly diverse substance and colors. The red strata is especially striking. The canyon is a virtual display of the powerful effects of geological forces over vast periods of time---and very beautiful, too! I've done several paintings of the area. Also close to picturesque Charleston Peak, the highest point in NV, elevation___(?)