Mummy Spring Trail

Mummy Spring Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,870 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Las Vegas: Travel north on U.S. Highway 95, then take State Route 157 west. Mummy Springs Trail must be accessed via the North Loop Trail. The North Loop trailhead can be reached by transferring from State Route 175 onto State Route 158 and traveling north. Drive past the road to Hilltop Campground, then park in the second turnout to the left. The Mummy Springs trail junction is about three miles in on the North Loop trail. The spring can also be accessed by hiking in from Trail Canyon about 3 and a half miles to the junction.

NOT moderate. Hard. Beautiful.

It was 3 miles of switchbacks to get to Rain Tree - Mummy Springs is beyond that. Total ~6.5 out and back without the Mummy Springs part of the trail. Beautiful views from Rain Tree.

This is a very hard hike, the first 2.5 miles of switchbacks kicked my butt, make sure you bring enough water and a light jacket, temperature drops quickly after 4 pm! Lovely views though! And the springs at the end are just wonderful! Def one of my favorite!

Great hike. I'd say it's more hard than moderate due to how long you're climbin at an incline. there's a lot of shade and it's cool. view of Vegas below is cool. goin back cut the switch backs if your losing the sun. lol

Awesome views. Get to see raintree, which is cool. Did this trail at night. Switchbacks in the beginning are moderately difficult. Bring/wear appropriate gear, as we some someone heading back that injured her ankle pretty badly.

Really enjoyed this hike, it kicked my butt though! I live at 1200 feet elevation and the change definitely messed me up while I was hiking up the first 3 miles. Totally worth the hike though with the beautiful views. The grove of Junipers at the ridge was absolutely gorgeous and the Rain Tree was cool too. Idk if the extended mummy springs trail was completely worth it but it was cool. Definitely harder than moderate.

This was a very fun hike! First 3 miles are all uphill switchbacks. We went past rain tree and continued to mummy springs which still had running, cold, refreshing water! Beautiful views and flowers! Get past the first three miles and you’re golden!

Holy hell this is definitely some cardio. Took a lot of breaks to enjoy the scenery though. Beautiful all the way!!! 30 degrees cooler than the valley and empty!! Highly recommend!

One of my all-time favorite Vegas Hikes. I almost want to keep it a secret. This hike has great elevation gain, so not for new hikers who have not acclimated to elevation. The trail does offer some shade. People please dispose of your trash properly! If we want to continue to enjoy the beauty of this trail people cannot keep leaving their used plastic bottles on the trail. This is a great trail to due in the summer when Vegas is too hot. This trail also offers plenty of places to camp. No fires though, as the winds can get aggressive at the top. Bring a long sleeve shirt of wind breaker. Trail is easy to follow. Water source was still available in mid-August, but not swollen by any means. See you on the trail -T aka Dahlia https://www.instagram.com/pajaritoinparadise/

Some rough incline but worth the views.

It was fantastic, but VERY tough. Expect the first 1-2 hours of the hike to be all up hill. It starts off on the North Loop and you have to veer off to the right at the large tree (Rain Tree) to follow down Mummy Springs Trail. The waterfall at the top is so cute and the view is amazing. Definitely worth it. It also had the perfect amount of traffic to where you feel safe and not deserted, but not so often that you cant enjoy the solitude and nature. Definitely a “must-do” hike!

Steep climb up but it’s all worth it for the views and the staggering sight of Raintree. Easy run down!

Good hike, just challenging enough. good views.

This trail is definitely a good cardio work out.

The trail has a small waterfall at the end of it. I would consider this a trail I could do in flip flops. There was an 8ft section of the trail with a bit of snow on it. I was surprised no one mentions the waterfall at the end. We tried to climb up to take a peek at the springs above, but it's really steep here. We called it a day and went to hang out under the rain tree.

Combined with Fletcher Peak, and then continuing past mummy springs to come down Deer Creek which is good but trail a little hard to follow later on and strayed too early onto track which looks private land. Still some snow on the fork off from Old tree to springs but fairly doable.

If you would like a cardiac work out then this trail is for you. I am not in the best of health, 4 heart attacks and open heart surgery over the course of the last 10 years. But what the heck, I can do it. No I couldn’t. Only made it 1.7 miles up. Uphill the whole way. I’m going to take a month to train and try to do it again. Great work out

This is a great trail and a little more like hard than moderate. Snow on the trail, the old bristlecone and a frozen waterfall at the springs made this a memorable hike.

One of my first good elevation hikes. An amazing old tree close to the end.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Great workout for your legs and lungs.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

A short rewarding jaunt from Raintree. The spring water is icy cold and refreshing. The beautiful flowers and plush vegetation that have grown around the tiny water fall is the real treat.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

a long hard all uphill hike with 3 experienced kids ages 6-14. some great scenery. There are two clearings that are amazing! We camped at one right before hitting raintree. The spring was dry. We went one week after a good rain, then it rained the night before we went and rained on us on the way back with some hail. Trails were washed out and slippery. Still a great hike. You can see the stratosphere at the 2nd clearing about 3/4 of the way up. It looked as small as a matchstick.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Fun, challenging trail for a guy just getting back into hiking. trail is in great shape, or was in the way up. Mountain rain storm creeped in and turned the trails into rivers. Still has an amazing time. Couldn't tell how much water the spring was putting out due to the amount of rain falling. Under the giant bristlecone is a great place for lunch. I'd do this one again in conjunction with the North Loop Trail.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

The trail was well marked and easy to walk. It’s a pretty steady incline for the first 3/4 or so but want too bad. I’m not sure I would take my 8 y/o’s on it and I did see some younger kids at the bottom half but not many people on the second half. The spring was barely dripping...as expected. Some of the views were good but not great like I would have wanted. Next time I’ll cut off to Fletcher Peak (a little before the right turn at the big rain tree).

Friday, June 29, 2018

If you’re camping at Hilltop, this is great trail that is around the corner from the campsite. I was in the zone and ended up going a little past the Springs because there is no water in June so easy to miss. The switchbacks provide the most difficult incline, and then it levels off with about 3/4 mile left.

Friday, April 27, 2018

Offers some scenic views and a good workout.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

beautiful hike here today

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Challenging but worth it. For a while I wondered if we would ever get to the top. Lots of pretty yellow leaves on some of the bushes. Easy to follow trail and well maintained. The trees, especially the Rain Tree, are beautiful!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Good trail...challenging incline for 3.0 miles from the trailhead, then pretty much evens out for the 1/2 mile to mummy springs. Coming down isn't comfortable...rocky most of the way and rough on the feet/knees. Or maybe I'm just getting old.