Mount Rose Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Conquer the summit of Mt Rose and enjoy the waterfalls, alpine lakes and great Lake Tahoe views. Mt. Rose may be the second tallest peak in Tahoe basin and prominent feature of the northern Lake Tahoe skyline, but despite its 2,300ft elevation gain the journey to the peak is best described as pleasant rather than challenging.

Beautiful weather! I trail ran/hiked this peak in 3 hours. Ran the flat non-rocky parts and hiked the steepest parts. This is a well marked trail and there were a lot of people (and dogs) on the trail. The waterfall was partially frozen as were some of the little stream crossings. There was patching snow on the trail above the tree line just before I reached the summit. It was easily avoidable and didn’t bother me at all in my running shoes. Didn’t see a summit box, but there was a USGS summit marker on a large rock. Great trail. Would do this one again. November 17, 2018.

Awesome awesome

great loop

Time this trail accordingly as it will be covered in snow during winter/spring. This is my go to place for hiking. Its a nice hike with shaded trees. There is a nice resting spot next to a waterfall. The views are stunning looking over Reno and of course Lake Tahoe. Recommend doing this hike in light summer/fall for the best weather.

Great hike with great views. The last mile is a bit of a climb but well worth it.

Gotta love loop hikes! Even without the trip to the summit this is an excellent hike. Take the brand-new Tahoe Rim Trail section from the top of the waterfall for an added workout (instead of dropping into the valley before getting to the junction that leads to the top of Mt. Rose) (on this map).
Also, be aware that there is a new cut-off from the "Rest Stop to Relay" trail to the Relay Peak Trail at about .7 miles from the trailhead. (NOT on this map, or the one at the trailhead)). You'll still get where you're going, but it's a little confusing.

Beautiful hike with panoramic views of Lake Tahoe at every turn. On this day it was pretty windy It had to be at least 25 mph winds I felt like I was gonna blow away craziest wind I’ve experienced

This is a must do hike not real difficult but you get a really fantastic view at the top.
Today was outstanding- no wind at the top today! Fairly clear and. Lot of hikers for a weekday.

Started at Tahoe rim trail up to the summit. This took me 5-6 hours to complete and I was hiking it up the hill. Was pretty winded going up and I consider myself physically active- this was worth the treck. Wish I would have worn better shoes and a jacket and had gloves. Once you get to the top it’s freezing and lots of snow. My shoes were muddy and wet and ice cold hands. Was a great cardio workout on the way up. My legs definitely felt this on the way up and down the summit. Just sitting at the top the views are amazing. Highly recommend starting early. I started at 11ish and got back around 5-530. I did stop and take a lot of pictures and also sat at the top for about 20 minutes. Worth the treck to go up. It does get steep in some areas.

This hike was essential in completing my goal to summit all of the peaks in the Tahoe Basin. Despite being one of the tallest, the hike wasn’t very difficult. I enjoyed the stream crossings, the aspens changing colors, and meadow views, but the last part of the hike above the tree line was brutally windy.

To me, this trail was just meh. Not enough of a challenge - lots of fairly flat trail with moderately picturesque views. What made it nicer were the aspens changing colors for the fall. It was a supremely windy day, which isn't the trail's fault, but it really was not enjoyable once we got above the tree line. Once we reached the summit, the views were only so-so. I personally don't find the city of Reno to be especially enchanting, even from afar. I did like seeing Lake Tahoe Basin from a new angle. Not sure if/when I'll do this one again, but at least it's off the list.

I went yesterday Tuesday, October 9, 2018, and it was chilly and windy but sunny. First few miles were pretty easy but then the grade increases and you know why it’s rated moderate. Last half mile was traipsing through snow and ice but the trail was easy to see from many footprints. Great views along the way and at the top. There was snow along the trail 1.5 miles in but not really on the trail itself until the last mile. Took me less than 4 hours but I hogged (hiked/jogged) down. Drank less than 1L and only had an energy bar and an apple even though I brought far more water/snacks. Fun hike!!

I brought my non-hiking family in the first week of October. With a lot of breaks and snacks, it took us six hours there and back on the same trail.
The trail is really well-maintained and has unbelievable views. The summit was very snowy and windy so be prepared for the cold and have good boots. We got to about a few minutes to the summit and decided not to risk it this time. I hope I can come back in the summer and get all the way up!

Very windy day but such a beautiful hike.

September 23, 2018. 80F in Reno and 60F at the trailhead. 2:35, 10.1 miles, 2321 feet elevation gain. Lightly jogged most flat and downhill. Busy, but it was a clear blue sky Sunday. Three other folks who jogged it, another guy was hiking it with bare feet! So it’s moderate, but add in jogging or BARE FEET and it will be hard.

Great hike. Took my 10 year old son up today.

Trail well maintained. First 2.5 miles including the falls iis a mild trail. Looking up to Mt. Rose in the distance was a bit daunting. The views just got better right to the summit. Definitely going back.

never knew Nevada could be so pretty

It was beautiful, plenty of parking and well taken care of trails! We had about a 5 min snow storm randomly! I couldn’t believe how green it was this late in the summer and there was a decent amount of water in the falls.

I did this hike on Friday, Sep 7th. Great hike with views of several lakes including Lake Tahoe. You will get a great view of Lake Tahoe early along the hike. It was so much cooler at the top, bring layers. The waterfall was beautiful too and a great time to rest. We arrived at 8:30 a.m. and didn’t have any issues with parking space. Hiking poles really helped. It took us about 6 hours roundtrip including a stop at the top for a snack and many breaks along the way.

We only go as far as the waterfall, so approximately halfway. It is a beautiful hike.

*had good water availability ( creeks in vicinity of Galena falls at half way points- 2.5 miles- 3 miles into hike) for a good portion of the distance.
*gorgeous views all the way.
*top of mt. Rose provided magnificent views.

Very scenic hike. It took less than 4 hours round trip. the final mile was difficult at the switch backs, but became more challenging the last .25 mile with the gravel. I started at the trailhead at 230pm and made it back by 615. The views at the top are amazing.

Great hike. Wonderful views even though there was a lot of haze/smoke from the CA fires. Water fall was still flowing strong with lots of very green vegetation. Easy hike to the falls if you are looking for a quick trip. From There it gets progressively more difficult to the summit. Very doable for a beginner, just make sure you take water and snacks. As a not, looking at the map route for loop, the portion of loop to the right is for hikers only. No bikes or horses.

Lovely hike with plenty of views. At the waterfall I went up instead of across and ended up on a neighboring peak. Still managed to get some good footage. Check out what you are in for here...

Awesome hike. The stroll up to the waterfall is gorgeous and fairly easy. You then gradually climb with a couple of small water crossings until you reach the 1 mile to the summit sign. Then it gets pretty strenuous to the peak, but the views are so worth it. Alternate trail back was refreshing as it was fairly empty compared to the main trail. Part of its fire road, but you see a pond and great views of Tahoe, plus it makes it more of a loop.

One of the best trails. Bring Water and snacks if your going to the top.

Excellent hike. Enjoy an easier 5 mile loop to the waterfalls and back, continue to the summit for the challenging part. The views are worth it at the top. Take lots of water and snacks.

great hiking trail....