Learn more

Mount Rose Trail is a 11.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village-Crystal Bay, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,388 feet Route Type: Loop

Conquer the summit of Mt Rose and enjoy the waterfalls, alpine lakes and great Lake Tahoe views. Mt. Rose may be the second tallest peak in Tahoe basin and prominent feature of the northern Lake Tahoe skyline, but despite its 2,300ft elevation gain the journey to the peak is best described as pleasant rather than challenging.

My hiking buddy and I did this hike about three weeks ago, and it wasn’t hard at all, but extremely windy at the top.

Great workout. First 2.5 miles are easy, then the steep ascend begins. Windy and cold up top, even on summer days, so bring light jacket. On the way back, the relay peak road adds another 1.5 miles that is not necessary, and there are nothing to see. Just come back the same way.

Did this awesome hike today with my family, including two adults and a seven and ten year old. We got a bit of a late start (~9:30 am) and moved a bit more slowly than others who’ve reported their climbs to the top of Mt Rose — we were on the top at about 3 PM, so it took us over five hours to get there. But in comparison with other peaks we’ve climbed — especially Job’s Peak a couple years ago but also Maggie’s earlier this week— this wasn’t that difficult. We would rate it moderate. What was killer was how long the way back seemed to take. We didn’t do the loop but retraced our steps since the loop would have added more mileage and we were wiped. But wow, the way back after the waterfall had a lot more uphill than we’d remembered from the way in. No wonder the walk in to the waterfall had been so pleasant— it was majority downhill! All in all, though, a day to be proud of. Now to sleep!

The view from the summit is amazing. The trail gets very steep after the waterfall. The trail was surprising crowded for a weekday.

Stunning hike, amazing views. Be weary of windy days though, we were unable to make it to the absolute peak seeing as there were winds of at least 45mph and we felt like it was going to blow us off a ledge. No snow left on the ground and will definitely give your legs a nice workout! We managed to make it midway to the top in 2hrs.

Excellent trail! Much easier than expected and view at the top is phenomenal. Started the hiked around 6:00 am and summited around 8:15 ; it stayed pretty shady the entire way up.

Nice trail but extremely windy at the top and quite cold

Was planning on just doing the falls and ended up summiting Mt Rose. Nice short hike to the falls. Well kept trail with great views. Areas with shade. Summit was a good workout and amazing views up top. Wind gusts of maybe 60 mph. Overall great hike!

icy

Beautiful! A few icy spots but I was ok in tennis shoes ( also not my first time hiking in the snow with them) relatively easy, very windy, great views

This was such a great trail especially if your a dog lover you get to see a lot of happy dogs hiking with amazing views. Would bring a bandana to wrap around face due to it being dusty at time. But over all a 10/10

No snow on 6/25. Excellent trail, and multiple spots with great views

Beautiful trail! Not sure if it’s just due to the time of year, but there was a huge swarm of bugs at the summit which took away the opportunity to really sit and enjoy the view... plenty of nice scenery on the way there though.

icy

So beautiful. Left the parking lot at 6:15 and had the whole mountain to myself.

6/22 Trails are clear of snow Wide flowers are getting close to being amazing Great hike! Loved it

On the trail by 6:15am on Monday and only passed two people the whole way up the summit. Spent 45 alone at the top. Absolutely magical. Big busier on the way back down. Trail looks great. No snow. Beautiful views. Highly recommend.

This has been one of my favorite trails / hikes. It was a nice mix of ascend, then flattened out, then ascend again. I came back the same way I hiked in and logged 11.6 miles. There is plenty of water as well as a beautiful waterfall if you need to filter.

The small drifts are melting quickly: as temperatures are predicted to be high, I expect the trail to be clear of snow by the early or middle of next week. There may be puddles. The scree above timberline will still slow runners.

Well worth enduring the windy conditions!

icy

12.9 miles to the peak, not 10.5!!!!! 2,254 ft of elevation gain. Great trail, great views- the hike to the top after the waterfall is brutal! Brutal!!! No wild flowers yet but the lupine are budding! Lots of water and snow back at the higher elevations- slippery. Bring poles if you plan on going to the top- lots of decomposed granite and steep switchbacks. Views from the top are amazing- Tahoe, Reno, Carson Valley. Other lakes I don’t know the names of. Now that I’ve completed this hike I’m not sure that I would go all the way to the top again. I think I would just go to the waterfall and go back. I think everybody should go to the top though at least once. I also wanna give a shout out to the sweet couple who saved my iPhone from the top and brought it all the way down to me when they came down. You saved my life. Thank you!!