Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Conquer the summit of Mt Rose and enjoy the waterfalls, alpine lakes and great Lake Tahoe views. Mt. Rose may be the second tallest peak in Tahoe basin and prominent feature of the northern Lake Tahoe skyline, but despite its 2,300ft elevation gain the journey to the peak is best described as pleasant rather than challenging.

First time out with snow shoes. Didn't make it to the top as trail was cut into steep ravine and snowed over completely. Still had a blast and was pretty.

great hike

Take the upper Trail to the top. Lower Trail is a dirt road.

It was still a bit snowy and slippery when I went in mid July so be prepared

I LOVE this hike. Although it's 10+ miles, it does not feel terrible. The ground is not nearly as rough as some other peaks (Mt. Tallac, for example), and the vegetation reaches higher up in elevation as well.

Great hike during the week but too many hikers on the weekend. Fairly easy until the final hike up Mt Rose proper. Take a jacket-the top can get chilly. Great hike and views if the fog is off the top and no smoke is in the area. My pedometer said 10.7 round trip two times in a row.

With every step you take on this trail you are lead to heaven ! A little over 10 miles and 6.5 hours . One foot in front of the other ! Trail is clear with little to no snow. Till next year Rose....

Very nice to have a trail which is easy to follow. Be prepared for very little net elevation gain during the first 2.5 miles.

My 10-year-old daughter and I conquered this hike today. It was beautiful. The snow is not bad, you just have to go a bit slow in a few places.

Snow the entire way, on the way back was starting to become muddy slush from all the people who had started up after us and rising temperatures. Unable to see anything at summit due to fog/ clouds. Very cold and windy and much more challenging in the snow. . Took us 7 hours to complete. Apple watch (with gps) said 10.72 miles.

My garmin watch says 12 miles round trip. We hike this last Saturday. The trail was covered by the snow all the way to summit. It was Freezing cold, windy,cloudy and foggy,when we reached the summit. Definitely a great and memorable experienced.

we did the loop trail and have some advice for you. The first half of the trail all the way up to the waterfall is beautiful. the trail is well-maintained and you have a great view as you hike through the forests.

the second half of the loop after the waterfall is a little confusing, while the trail is well marked the titles of the trails confused s. Also if you want to stay on the loop after the waterfall make sure you keep going straight towards the peak Trail through the meadow, at which point you'll have an opportunity to turn left on the trail to the west side of Tamarack Mountain. this portion of the trail is not as clear at some point we were hiking through over bushes and through streams hopping from rock to rock. Also after you get to the west side of Tamarack, the trail is more of a wide dirt road, not as pretty through the trees although it was nice and warm given that it was a chilly day.. I will say as your hiking along this wide dirt road you have a great view of Lake Tahoe.

I think we will do this hike again. Next time we will go to the waterfall perhaps a little further up the hill and then turn around and come back down that same Trail.

This is a great trail with some of the best views in the area. It gets pretty busy on the weekends so I always go early to get parking and avoid the crowds on the way up at least. The last half is pretty steep and tiring but the views from the peak is worth the hard work.

Great trail, well maintained and scenic views for almost the entire time. We went at 6am and there was nobody on the trail which was perfect, but on our way down we saw a LOT of people. I could definitely see this being too congested on a holiday weekend.

of course, amazing trail. there's two entry points, one on either side of the restrooms. I highly recommend the entire loop, though it was definitely more like 14 miles than 10.6.

If you're aiming for a shorter distance definitely do the right hand (east) side of the loop. also the waterfall is on that side and was quite nice, but also the trail, albeit I was going back down, seemed easier.

definitely the final third of the trail it the hardest but you probably knew that going in. fabulous and challenging hike, great views through the whole loops and trail.

parking is tricky later in the day. I attempted going three weekends ago at 11am and the lot was over full. I arrived at 7:30am today (sat, Sept 30th) and the lot was empty.

Awesome trail and amazing view at the top! The recent snow fall made it a little more challenging but worth it. The pups had a blast. We did closer to 12 miles.

great hike

Good hike, last mile pretty challenging. Windy and chilly at the top, don't forget a jacket!!

My dog and I hiked the whole Summit and back in about 5.5hours. There is a pretty waterfall at 2.5 miles. Bring a lot of water- the hike is fairly easy for the first 3 miles but the last 2 miles up the mountain are very steep and there is some loose rock. The views at the top are worth it! Gorgeous view of Lake Tahoe and lots of large rocks to take a break and eat lunch.

Day 1 prepping for Moab Marathon. Ran maybe 35% of the way up and 85% coming down. My recording shows 2 hrs 33 min at 9.1 miles going out and back.

Beautiful sunset and a fun run in the dark to the moonlight on the way back. The last 2 miles or so turned the headlamp on as it was a bit too dark.

Waterfall is still running great and tons of wildflowers abloom.