Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only £14.99
Get Started

Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village-Crystal Bay, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,388 feet Route Type: Loop

Conquer the summit of Mt Rose and enjoy the waterfalls, alpine lakes and great Lake Tahoe views. Mt. Rose may be the second tallest peak in Tahoe basin and prominent feature of the northern Lake Tahoe skyline, but despite its 2,300ft elevation gain the journey to the peak is best described as pleasant rather than challenging.

Didn’t make it to the summit but this trail gives you gorgeous views of the Sierra Nevada mountains, Lake Tahoe and even Reno. Will be back to conquer the top!

I did this hike a year ago in the midst of the wildfires, so I wanted to do it again to take in the views at the top. Probably not quite as scenic as Mt Tallac, but it is a close second for mountain hikes in the Tahoe area. I would say it is quite a bit easier since the trail is more defined trail and less rocky. First half of the trail is pretty flat and takes you to Galena Falls, which is a nice destination in itself. The last half is much more steep, gaining about 1700 feet in two miles. The views from the top are worth it though, with Lake Tahoe on one side and Reno on the other. It cools down quite a bit at the top and can be windy, so make sure you walk past the marked summit and check out the wind shelter at the false summit. I took the alternate route the first time I went, but didn't like that much of it was on an access road and didn't think it was very scenic...so I took the same route back to cut the distance to a little under 10 miles.

Great views and someone made a wind shelter up top.

Great hike.. I wouldn’t call it hard though... if you are in decent shape can do it quite easily. Beautiful views of Lake Tahoe on one side and Reno desert on the other side... It can get hot and windy.. so be prepared with layers. Also a pair or walking sticks definitely made it easier on the knees on the way down. Met lot of lovely dogs on the way up!

amazing!

Awesome!

The altitude definitely kicked my butt, but the views at the top were definitely worth the climb! The last bit of the trail is loose ground and was very windy towards the top. Definitely bring a jacket and some sunscreen! It took us about 2.5 hours to reach the top with some rest breaks and about 2 hours down - including us stopping to eat a quick lunch. Would recommend earlier in the day to avoid the crowds and the heat.

Pretty well-maintained trail, good footing, easy to follow. Some rough spots just before the wilderness boundary and on the final approach. Lots of people and dogs. Very windy at the summit - bring layers. Great 360* views of Tahoe, Reno, Washoe, Truckee... I could just see Lassen through my binoculars. On a clear day you could probably see it unaided. Lots of parking at the trailhead, but also a lot of people there - the lot was already filling fast at 6:30am.

Great views around! The first 2 miles are easy, then it really kicks up just after the waterfall. Highly recommend this hike to people who are in shape and accustomed to altitude. It’s not an easy one. But then that’s why it’s rated HARD!

Great and fun route

Technical route for cycling but very fun divertida️

Nice hike with my 73 year old father. My equipment had it at about 13 miles or so but it was worth it. View from the Top is a 360 spread. Windy at the top.

I loved it. Great views on the way up and down. Waterfall, wildflowers, green meadows, and a wide panoramic view of Tahoe and the surrounding area once at the top. The back two miles get a little strenuous with the uphill, but def worth the effort.

Love doing this hike at least once a year. I personally enjoy solitude. recommend hitting the trail head before sunrise to enjoy the summit without the crowds.

Great hike today! Windy at the top but prepared with layers so comfortable enough for a nap at top. Dog friendly!! Met about 10 friendly doggies. Took the alternate trail on return. Started from Campground so earned a little extra mileage than most other tracks.

Wildflowers, stream crossings, wind ripped shoulders, bring a couple layers - it gets cold up there!

Great trail, well maintained paths, though a bit slippery with loose material on the way down. Highly recommend bringing a light jacket/sweatshirt even when it’s hot at the bottom, it’s very windy up at the top!

Love this hike! The waterfall is beautiful. I didn’t go up to the rim. Went up to the switch backs. My friend hurt her ankle. I definitely will go back!

First 2.5 mild incline/flat. Last 2.5 miles to the top will get the heart going as almost all up. Loose rock last .5-.75 mile, but worth it. Alternate route back not worth it. Adds an additional mile. First mile not well traveled, has an additional 200-250 gain. Looks like bear country. Then join a rough road back to starting point down with some up for 3 miles. Wished I would have just back tracked initial route as all down hill or level. And more scenic. Great day. Wild flowers were beautiful. California Tortoise Shell Butterflies were swarming all over the place at the top. And only about 20-30 people scene on the trail mid week.

Spent the night at the trailhead in my car before heading out about 5:30am to hit the trail. Very pleasant slight climb the first 2.5 miles to the waterfall. Slightly more uphill to the saddle but not too bad at all, amazing views of the canyon and Reno and a stunning place to be with the sun coming up. Ran into my first person at saddle as they were coming down from a sunrise summit! Sounds like they left from the trailhead around 4:15am. Last 1.2 miles or so to the summit from saddle was about 1,000 feet of climb in the form of switchbacks. Last few switchbacks above treeline get quite windy and made me very glad I had a windbreaker. Amazing views at the top and a very easy descent down. By the time I got back to the saddle on the way down I start to hit large crowds and that continued the rest of the way down, probably saw over 100 people on the trail on the descent. Took 2 1/4 hours up with a number of stops and 1.5 hours down. Very clear and well marked trail the whole way. Would highly recommend going early to beat the weekend crowds!

Excellent hike. Starts off flat and easy. Picks up after the waterfall. Summited in just under 2 hours. Make sure to take the alternate trail back like the recording has and you'll be rewarded with more great views of Tahoe Meadows, the lake and a pond. Worth the extra distance on the way back.

Great trail. Tons of butterflies (California Tortoise Shell butterflies to be specific) along the trail and especially at the summit, which was really cool. Wildflowers were equally beautiful, especially after the waterfall. I actually liked thought the views on the trail hiking down from the summit to the waterfall were the most beautiful. Trail was clear and in good shape.

amazing views of the mountains and lake, pretty heavily trafficked but it didnt bother me. my favorite hike near Reno so far.

Arrived at the trail right around 11:00am and the parking lot was slammed with cars. We lucked out and managed to get a parking spot right as we pulled up. The trail was very busy with hikers and dogs, but nonetheless the hike up to the summit was fantastic with many incredible views along the way. I really like this trail because of it’s diversity. You’ll pass through forest, beautiful meadows, over streams, passed a waterfall, and of course the giant slabs of rock at the summit. It’s a tough trail but worth the effort and achievement of reaching the top. A little plus during our hike was the thousands of California tortoiseshell butterflies that are currently swarming the summit. Cool experience!

My 2nd time hiking to mount rose and it’s still just as beautiful!! I took my parents so we went slow and took our time. Wonderful hike!

a must hike for the challenge and the views...met several nice fellow hikers including a dad with his toddler son on his shoulders along with his wife who was 6 months pregnant. butterflies to no end. it was exhausting at my age and co dition but I did it and am very glad I did. next up, Marlette Lake.

The ground looked alive with the movement of millions of butterflies. None of which land on you. A beautiful hike with amazing views.