Mount Jefferson Trail

Mount Jefferson Trail is a 18 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Round Mountain, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.0 miles Elevation Gain: 6,128 feet Route Type: Loop

Want some real solitude along with amazing views, wild flowers, meadows, creeks, aspen groves, big horn sheep, and nearby hot springs? This is your trail. The hardest part about the trail is the 15+ creek crossings with no permanent bridges. Be ready to wade or get creative. Head towards the north summit and keep your eyes open for little tan specks on the sides of the distant hills. You'll probably get to see some big flocks of big horn. The dirt roads to get out here off of 50 are in great shape.

I completed this hike with my dog on July 5th. Most of the comments below are accurate... The trail is overgrown in parts and washed out in other places. I wore Keens and shorts and really enjoyed wading, but that may not be everyone's idea of a good time. At around mile 5/11,000 feet the trail opens up to a gorgeous glacial valley and you can see all of the peaks ringing around you. I really wanted to bag at least one of the peaks, but the last 500/600 is really tough. Very loose dirt and rocks, so much so that even scrambling was very difficult. I stopped my scramble short and chose not to go on to the summits. All of this said... It's an azing hike. I was out for 8 hours and saw only 1 other person. The wildflowers are gorgeous, and you alternate between hiking through beautiful woods and wide open spaces surrounded by rocks. And the whole time the sound of the rushing creek. Pretty amazing. Definitely strenuous both physically and mentally, and also 100% worth it.

bridge out

On the way in there is a sign reading "minimum maintenance", it is 100% true. The trail was mostly non existent! We scrambled and got lost and trail blazed because there was no trail to follow. The snow melt blew the first 2 or so miles out and its ice cold water crossings till you get to gaining elevation. Having the snow melt towards the top was nice because it gave drinking water that we would not have had otherwise. The gps data for this trail will take you through thick brush, steep loose rocky surfaces and wet soggy soil. All but high elevation had ticks, so be watchful for those too. There is a plant growing in the streams called False california hellenbore, it is poisonous. Do not eat any part of the plant!

Wed Jun 14 2017

Hard? Perhaps. I have to say bring a map, a compass and know how to use them. The south most section of the loop is clear despite the switchbacks but, the north section is a mystery to find. We found sections but so over grown as to be questionable and one 60 to 70 foot section at the y was a river. Solitude for sure, super pretty but a rough going this year.

Thu Jun 16 2016

Want some real solitude along with amazing views, wild flowers, meadows, creeks, aspen groves, big horn sheep, and nearby hot springs. This is your trail. This time of year (early June) there is tons of water so no worries there. The hardest part about the trail is the 15+ creek crossings with no permanent bridges. Be ready to wade or get creative. Head towards the north summit and keep your eyes open for little tan specks on the sides of the distant hills. You'll probably get to see some big flocks of big horn. We saw one flock of 40+. The dirt roads to get out here off of 50 are in great shape.

Thu May 22 2014

This is about as desolate as it gets. I don't know that I would rate this trail as difficult as indicated by All Trails. We did not get to the summit though, so I guess there is that. We were in the middle of late winter/early spring conditions. I was just about blown off the top a couple of times. Due to over exposed rock, ice and snow we called it about a quarter mile or less from the summit. I'll be going back in a couple of weeks in June and will have a new report for you. No permits needed. No pottable water. No campgrounds. Few humans present. Nearest gas station is about 60 miles away. Nice backcountry feel, pack accordingly. Wicked cool place to find some solitude and fantastic views!