Mount Charleston North to South via Trail Canyon

Mount Charleston North to South via Trail Canyon is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.6 miles Elevation Gain: 5,075 feet Route Type: Loop

Connecting route between Charleston South Loop to the North Loop trail, taking the Trail Canyon trail back down instead of having to hike all the way over to the North loop trailhead. This way you can do the hike without staging a car at each trailhead.

I parked at South Loop TH, and walked to Trail Canyon TH to North Loop up to the peak and down South Loop back to the parking lot. I clocked in at about 18.3 miles. The leaves are changing and the scenery on North Loop was beautiful. The last two miles up to the peak were tough, and the trail had some exposure but the trek itself was awesome!! South loop down was a nice break on the lungs and legs! The burnt forest just down from the peak was a perfect place to eat lunch. This is s long trail full of many different sites to see. I loved it. It took me over 7 hours to complete.

My first time summiting Mt. Charly Peak! Me and my bf decided to park at South Loop TH, thinking we would really thank ourselves later when we dont have to walk an extra mile when we’re already too exhausted. Started at 630 and took us about 28min (1.13miles) to get to North Loop TH. We set a goal to finish it in 12hours so we had to wisely time our rests, factor in the times to take pictures of course lol. Logged in a total of 11hours 15minutes (17.7miles), we thought we did pretty good. My bf has done it before but started at SL. He said he wouldn’t do it again because those switchbacks at SL were hell going up! I was glad I brought a jacket because it got pretty cold and chilly! The weather couldn’t have been more perfect though. Tough hike but not impossible!

Packed heavy with just over 45lbs for 1 night. We started up the south loop at 10:30am... didn’t make it to the summit and camped about 1 mile shy at 12k. Cold night down to about 35F. Next morning started walked to summit at just after 7am and made it back via north loop at about 12:45pm. It was a challenging hike. Packed way too much. Drank about 6 liters overall so slightly dehydrated.

A perfect day for a summit. I connected the north and south routes for more variety. I parked at the Mt Charleston trailhead and walked the 1.5 miles to Trail Canyon before starting up. I figured the walk was more palatable in the morning than on tired legs later on. The only downside would have been if I had to turn back and not do the loop.

Hiked 9/14 into 9/15. Started south to north. Had to park at Echo Trailhead and road walk thru construction to get to the south Trailhead. After coming down the north side, I'm glad I ascended from the south side. The summit climb from. The north side is incredibly steep. It's not as bad from the south side. I camped around 10,800 feet and wished that I had found some bristlecone pines a few hundred feet lower to camp among. The wind was STRONG all night. Gusts made it seem like my tent was going to collapse on me so my trekking poles were used as extra supports. Temp read 35F at 3am. Started at 650am and summited at 830am. It took me 4.5 hours to get to my camp spot, another 1 hour 40 minutes to summit and 4 hours down. There is one spring flowing midway down/up the north side. Please respect this hike and trail. I saw so many "windbreaker & water bottle" people that were ill prepared. It was clear many people attempt this hike without doing their homework. You gain nearly a MILE in Elevation. The temperature at the top will be 30-35 degrees cooler and the winds will be at least 15MPH and likely closer to 35-40 MPH. Weather changes quickly here. I brought 6 liters of water and consciously rationed the entire time. I wish I brought 1 more liter. For the record, I usually go thru more water than the average person. The views along this entire hike are worth every bit of effort. Take your time. Respect the oxygen deprived air at elevation. I'll be back on this mountain!

This is a great hike. I parked at the lower Cathedral Rock Parking Lot and walked down Echo Way (use the road, not trails). Walk to the Trail Canyon Trail Head Parking Area and head up there. The trail is clearly marked and you take off to the left several miles in to take the North Loop Trail. It was about 9.5 miles to the summit from where I parked. The last mile of switchbacks were tough, but the view from the top was spectacular. I went down the South Loop Trail, which was hard on the knees and legs once you hit the switch back section where you drop over 3000 feet in about 5 miles. Overall, great hike with perfect weather. Started out in upper 40s (7AM) and ended about 90 degrees. I logged 17.9 miles, 5348 feet of ascent; it took me 7 hours, 23 minutes.

I went up the south side and down the north. The north was definitely more exposed and wild feeling. Lots of places where one slip could lead to falling off the mountain. Definitely wouldn’t want to do in bad weather, fog, dark, or snow. Bring lots of water and sun protection, it’s super exposed most of the way. I took my dog and while it was a long day for her, she did great. We took 5L of water and were dry by the end. Definitely recommend doing this as a loop so you see different views on the way up and the way down! I clocked 27km total for the loop and 10.5 hours total (with 2,5 hours of stops along the way).

Mt. Charleston North to South. 18 miles including a road walk at the South trail finish back to the vehicle at the North trailhead.

I did the Trail Canyon trail up to the North Loop and then took the North Loop to the summit of Mt. Charleston. I returned by the North Loop and Trail Canyon as well. It took me 5 hours up and 4 hours down, going at a deliberate, but not painful or aggressive pace. I would not recommend this trail at any time there is snow. There are points where a slip could prove fatal. I did it September 1 and there was no snow to speak of, but I had tried it in mid June and it was still way too snowy.

Went today, started early. 17.4 mile loop via Garmin measurements fyi. Zero snow on trail!

This review is for Trail Canyon up to North Loop junction, then to Charleston Peak (7/5/19). Lots of shade going up trail canyon this morning starting at 6am. The trail is clear all the way until Devils Thumb just below the peak. There is way too much snow on the north face of the peak on the switchbacks to be crossed safely without proper gear and experience. We already knew we wouldn’t be able to pass just by looking at it from afar, but still wanted to hit the trail. There is a yellow rope going up Devils Thumb to ascend to the peak, but we aren’t climbers and did not want to try. A couple yesterday that we saw at the summit via south loop were experienced climbers and said they didn’t have issues going up. But, I myself do not know enough to recommend the rope or not. Otherwise it was a quiet and nice day!

It’s been a number of years since doing this hike but sections still remain like a memory from yesterday. One of my favorite day hike memories of all time. Very cool summit typical loose gravel steep push at the end, but great desert views. Agree with the route being longer, definitely took a few hours longer than expected and dog got the remainder of our planned water!

Very long hike, 18 miles but the worse was the amount of snow remaining after the summit on the north face ( of course). Very challenging without specific equipment. I needed 10h30 as very slow during the first part of the descent. I do recommend climbing-iron or to wait for a dry path

Trail is actually 18.2 mile. Map is missing hundreds of switch backs. Spring at mile 3.4 easy to pump

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Gorgeous Charley route. On caution—all 4 of us in our group got readings of 18 miles for this loop, not 15. Bring extra water!

Sunday, September 02, 2018