McCullough Hills Trail

McCullough Hills Trail is a 16.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Henderson, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,788 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This 8 mile trail connects McCullough Hills TH on the east side of the McCullough Hills with Anthem Hills Park TH on the west side. It is a dirt surfaced, wide, multi-purpose trail. The first section has good views east, and the second part has good views west including Las Vegas and Red Rock. The trail heads south from the under-construction McCullough Hills TH at the end of Mission Blvd (will have water and restrooms), crosses over the hill crest ridge at about half way, and continues west to Anthem Hills Park TH. It is very easy to follow until about mile 6.8, when a welter of official (Anthem Hills East and Bursage Loop) and unofficial trails confuses things. Head along the ridge and then the power line. The trailhead is a kiosk on McCullough Hills Parkway, not in the park as one would expect. The Anthem East Trail TH is in the park and can be used as an alternate.

Great trail with nice scenery. Good for all levels. Decided to jog the end of it and ran into no issues!

Did about a month in a half ago. Great hike

If you're ready to have your ass handed to you by Mother Nature this hike is for you. We decided to kick it up a notch from our last hike and tried to go for the summit. We stopped early because I broke my toe but the views are amazing! The terrain is hard to handle we recommend you bring a walking stick and prepare to get stranded. There is no shade or stopping points so bring plenty of water and take your time in the heat. Watch out for tarantula hawk wasps and lizards they're everywhere. If you plan to bring your dog... I would say avoid that idea. We brought our dog Ranger who's a pit bull boxer ridgeback mix and he was having troubles with the sharp rocks and there are tons of cactus and spikes for dogs to get hurt on once you get into higher elevations. All around, it was an amazing hike but we recommend it only for experienced hikers and those looking for a good workout.

Tons of lizards out today! No rattlesnake encounters luckily but it was really enjoyable. Keep an eye out on the ground for some awesome crystals that tend to be in the wash/drainage areas. Look, don't take them. We cleaned up 18 pieces of trash along the way please keep trails clean.

Love these trails!! So many options! But be careful we ran into a massive Diamondback Rattlesnake this evening.. they will rattle to warn but be cautious!

I would recommend doing this again it was fun and peaceful, the breeze was nice but there was no shade.

I’m very inexperienced in desert hiking, so take that into account in this review. However, I found this trail very difficult. The loose sand & rocks was very trying, especially going uphill! Also, the signage was terrible & I went nearly 4 miles out of my way. I was really lost! Just my 2 cents

Super windy day but still a cool hike. I only went 3.7 mi in because of the time. But had a great view and hit the highest peak marker. Great native cactus, rocky and steep in places.

Did that 16 miles more (i think) with a friend coz we hiked up to the Anthem Trails to look for a rest room and my legs were so sore but its normal.

My son and I started at Del Webb Middle School. We followed the McCullough trail to the second point where McCullough and Anthem East meet. From there we made a right and headed up the hill toward the antennas on the top. It was a pretty decent climb with some choppy ground and lots of loose rocks. Clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped, and we got pinged with hailstones. The trip back down worked an entirely different muscle group. We did about 5 miles round-trip. Good workout!

Hiked the full trail for a total of almost 17 miles out/back. Would classify as “easy” not moderate. You’ll see a few hikers, trail runners and MTB’ers but it’s a very quiet, peaceful hike overall. When you see the Highest Trail Elevation sign, take the small trail right off to hike to a lookout over the hills. Easy to miss unless you are looking for it. To see more scenery, hike around the 601 trail.

Beautiful views and weather.. January 27, 2019

Really great workout and I thought easy to follow. There were mile markers and markers with direction arrows for the trail. We went to mile marker 4 and then turned around. Plan to work up to 5 and eventually make it to the Anthem trail and back.

Sun Nov 18 2018

Really nice trail very peaceful and many paths to roam. I think this is easy not moderate. If you do the full trail and back along with some side paths you will have a great workout at the end. Easy to find parking area with bathroom and picnic table.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Kids loved the scrambling ..

Mon Mar 26 2018

I love going on this trail...lightly populated and lots of trail off-shoots from the main path to give a variety of distances and difficulties...I like the views too.

Mon Jan 29 2018

I really really enjoy running this trail. At the trailhead when you park, there is a bathroom and water. It’s not too hilly and you can run 8 miles out and back or take the many side trails. There are hikers and bikers and everyone was nice and respected sharing the trail. There was no trash!! Love these trails.

Mon Jan 15 2018

fun

Sat Dec 30 2017

Beautiful views and a nice fun escape from the city. Lots of side trails in the area as well.

Tue Jul 18 2017

I really enjoy this trail. It's close to my home, but you feel like you're completely out of the city when you're out there. Good for running, hiking, or biking.

Sun May 14 2017

Great trail. Small up and down hills keep you at a steady heart rate.

Thu Apr 20 2017

A good variety of wide trials turning into single track. Well maintained long trail.

Tue Apr 04 2017

Nice trail and close if you're in Henderson. Lots of side trails off the main trail which are a bit more fun and challenging. Scenery gets better after the first mile.