Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(233)
Lake Tahoe-Nevada State Park

Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Glenbrook, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,755 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very gradual ascent. Perfect hike for a sunny day as most of the trail is covered by trees.

Trail was dry and clear all the way to Marlette Lake. Such a lovely walk!

fee

Great hike. It is only 9 miles round trip from the parking area at spooner. The lake was so peaceful and the fish were jumping. I think the hardest part was the hike back up from the lake. It is all uphill. There is a $10 fee to park. Otherwise you can park on the road and hike in.

Hiked this May 26. Very easy hiking. Gradual uphill until final descent to lake. Only a few minor patches of snow left on path down to lake. Beautiful blue sky 75 degree day.

The truly was the most beautiful hike I have been on locally so far. Id rate it at moderate not hard. The length of the hike is what gets you at the end. But the entire second half of the hike is gravy compared to the first. Definitely suggest going counter clockwise. You gain about 300-385 feet of elevation per mile. I was at a steady clip of about 20:00 minutes a mile. Got a good workout. But was never really difficult at all. The elevation gain is spread out enough I never even used my poles whatsoever on this hike. At about 5.5 mark you begin your decent down a switch back access road down to the Lake access. It is about another 3/4 of a mile down. I took the access road down to the actual lake level. It adds about 1.8 miles to the plotted hiking distance. There is bathrooms as well as a rock island to enjoy the peacefulness of the area. I hiked the Marlette Creek trail on the way back out. I did not discover much snow on my way out. So honestly you can go either way out, now that the snow season seems to be beyond us. Its was super easy trail on a mostly downward grade. Small creeks and bridge crossings throughout. You hit the north side of Spooner lake once you come out of the hills almost immediately. Had a small elevation gain after rounding the east side of the lake to the car. I will definitely being doing this hike again. As I said... it will push the novice hiker but still attainable bye most. Don’t suggest taking kids. As the length will be an issue. Unbelievable views, peaceful trails, and the beautiful Marlette Lake as your reward.

Fun trail with beautiful scenery and views. Lake was incredible and relaxed on the island.

Final downhill to the lake was snow packed and difficult. Recommend taking the service road down to the lake. The trail and road cross each other approx. 1 mile from the lake. Very nice hike...enjoy.

Awesome fun trail. I hiked it two weeks ago and there was still lots of snow. Made it all the way to Marlette with my dog. Only saw a couple of people on the trail because we left really early. Trail definitely got busier as the day went on.

Snow is almost 100% gone from Spooner Summit parking lot to EXACTLY 5 miles out on May 6. Still can’t get down to Marlette Lake without snow shoes or cold wet feet, but it’s soon!

icy

Great trail, however too much snow! We went up in late April and there was two feet of snow in some locations. Though it was very warm outside it’s very wet and muddy! We got up to the overlook of Marlette Lake and it was completely frozen over and never made it to the lake. Definitely do not travel until mid May!

icy

Nice fall colors seen on hike today (10/20). I’ve done this trail a few times now, it’s my favorite fall hike. I like to go to the lake via the Marlette Lake Trail and come back on the North Canyon Road as both offer a little different views.

Great hike with the dogs and friends. The fall colors are in full swing up here.

went out to Marlette and Spooner to check the fall colors,still to early,give it another week or so..

The trail is in great shape for horses! Hardly any rocks for the most part (90%). However there is one corner in particular that is rocky. Along with a few step downs after that corner. Over all it is way better than most trails around Reno or Verdi where I usually ride. FYI There are a few wooden bridges without side rails you have to cross. We'll worth the drive. I can't wait to come back in the fall to see at the Aspens changing.

Loved the views from this trail

7th Mountain Bike Ride, 2019 with Oscar

This is a stunning hike. We started around 9 a.m. and much of the trail is shaded in the morning. There were tons of wildflowers and butterflies along the trail. It's uphill most of the way to the lake, but nothing too horrible. We ate lunch at the lake on the peninsula before hiking back. It was 5 1/2 hours round trip - that time includes the hour for lunch.

Wildflowers and butterflies in full bloom.

Bring sunscreen! There is barely any shade on this trail. Thousands of butterflies everywhere - really spectacular. The trail is gradual incline as everyone has said. The first 3 miles lots of flat bits. Last mile and a half is a very steep incline. We went down to the lake on the bike trails and back up taking the Marlette Creek trail. I would recommend this way as the bike trail is pretty steep. Creek trail is also a little more interesting. Took us about 4 hours with a 30 minute stop at the lake.

Great hike! Took the fire road up and trail back. Loads of wildflowers, refreshing swim awaits after the long climb up. Look forward to doing it again and continuing on the flume to tunnel creek. Few mosquitos along the way but not miserable.

Beautiful trail, gradual incline About 5.5 to the lake, then you can walk around or just jump in and come back. Amazing views. One of my favorites

I loved this trail! It was moderately challenging, what with the length and gradual elevation gain. The view hiking down into the lake basin was stunning, and I spent some time at the lake enjoying the exceptional weather I had that day. There are different ways you can hike out once at the lake, though I took the same foot trail back out to avoid bike traffic.

The only reason why it’s not a four star is because the scenery is atrocious until you see the Lake. The lake is just beautiful. Saw a rainbow trout spawning at the dam. Was lucky to see that, but other than that....it was alright. Crossed off my list. Next

Wonderful trail. Will definitely do this one again... I went beyond to Marlette Peak... made it a 15.5 mile... next time will go beyond to Hobart and get 3 lakes in one day!

4th of July hike with Sherri and Chris.