Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake

Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glenbrook, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Totally amazing trail! This was our first hike in about 5 years and we are not in the best shape (getting back into hiking is part of our get back into shape plan). This hike is perfect if you want to push it pretty hard but don’t want something crazy hard.

As you go over the last knoll and see Marlotte Lake for the first time, you realize it was worth every step of the way. Great workout too.

Out-and-back from Spooner Lake on 5-30-2018. $10 for parking. Nice day-hike with a challenging grade to about 8200 feet. Mountain bikers use the service road below the trail.

The trail still had several trees across the path and patchy snow on the north side of the summit.

At the lake, even at mid-day, it got chilly when we stopped for lunch.

10.5 miles round-trip in about 4.5 hours.

Hiked the trail on 5/20 starting around 9 am. If you take the directions AllTrails gives to get to the trailhead you will need to pay $10 to park there. Just a heads up as I was caught off guard.

Trail was beautiful and clear save for some snow that showed up about the last 0.5 mile of the hike. Only one particular area was difficult to traverse, and that was after the final small bridge just as you're heading down to Marlette Lake. There was snow covering the trail path and it was hard packed and deep on the slope of the hill, so it can be tedious to cross. Aside from this one spot, the trail is smooth going and aside from the distance itself, a fairly simple hike.

I saw a total of 3 hikers that actually followed the trail. There were some sections which branched off that other hikers were on, and once I got to Marlette Lake there were more people, but overall it was a very quiet hike. The lack of people made the occurrence of wildlife much more prevalent which made my day. It was great to finally see some muley doe out and about during my hike.

Highly recommend the trail if you have the time and are comfortable with 10mi+ hikes. The elevation change was gradual enough it wasn't too difficult to overcome. As we progress further into the summer months the snow which made the trail a bit more complicated towards the end will melt and you'll have a clear trail to enjoy.

nice trail! not too much snow but lake was still frozen over.

Spent Black Friday doing this hike with very little other hikers. We encountered quite a bit more snow than we expected and should have brought snowshoes, so word to the wise, the snow is very deep in November. Nicely marked trail, beautiful views of Marlette Lake. Pack a lunch and enjoy the little peninsula that stretches out into the lake.

Right now (feb 19th) snow shoes are needed from spooner summit down to the lake. Wind blown snow drifts present. Beautiful regardless.

beautiful! went a few days ago and once you get passed Spooner lake the snow can get deep. I still wore hiking boots and did fine. snowshoes would've been helpful

I have been on this hike several times including the new hiking route portion. It is suitable for more most hikers.
I have discovered something rare, topograghy-wise,nearby the new hiking trail. i wonder if anybody else has noticed it, hint, it is near the wooden footbridge.

Beautiful trail. Make sure you use the trail rather than the road to get the most out of this hike. Either way it is worth it. Wish there was more color in the aspens.

Parfait!

was a beautiful trail , long but worth it☺

Monday, July 31, 2017

This was a beautiful hike but it can be a bit difficult at times and tiring - you hike from Spooner up to Marlette and then we returned via fire road. I recommend bringing lots of water and lunch plus a bathing suit for a very needed dip in Marlette before the trek back to Spooner.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

The trail is easy to follow & the incline is never all that severe. Recommend the trail over the road for sure (they basically run parallel to each other). Loved the view on the lake. Temp was a perfect 75. Only downside were mosquitos in one section were relentless & the air quality wasn't great due to the smoke from the fires. I was walking about an 18 minute mile and was done in about 4 hours (25 minute stop at the lake). Enjoy.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Hiked from Spooner Lake to Marlette Lake, and then continued further to about a mile and a half beyond Marlette Peak. It took about 9.5 hours roundtrip, but the views from Marlette Peak were phenomenal, with sweeping vistas over both Marlette Lake and Lake Tahoe. We saw an eagle, two deer, a snake, chipmunks, and swarms of butterflies. There was still snow by Marlette Peak, even in the middle of July! The only reason I didn't give this hike 5 stars is because we got eaten alive by mosquitos for 3 miles during the descent from Marlette Lake to Spooner Lake, even with bug spray. My girlfriend got nearly 50 bites, and I got about 30. Would definitely do this hike again.

Friday, June 23, 2017

nice hike last weekend. heard some kittens and saw some mountain lion tracks near the saddle at the lake. fun times.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great hike with plenty of shade and moderate elevation gain. There is still snow covering the trail around the 4 mile mark, but it's easy to navigate across to the North Canyon Road (runs parallel to the trail, to the east), which takes you directly to the east side of the lake. Not heavily trafficked and saw only a handful of other hikers at Marlette Lake.

Monday, May 22, 2017

tried it today with a friend and the little kid we saw a ranger on the walk up and back with no real notice still snowed out about 2 miles in right as we got there ran into a really big bear slowly turned around and got out of there we saw what we thought was a den right off the right side of the trail told a ranger about it they said there's a couple dens off of it I feel more notice of where those are should be posted don't go alone

Monday, November 14, 2016

Great hike with a consistent but not brutal uphill grade on the way in, a gorgeous setting at Marlette Lake, and a quiet experience that was the perfect get-away we were looking for. We did this one in mid-November... awesome weather with it being chilly but not cold. We started at 8:30am and only encountered maybe 20 other people (including some bikers and two horseback riders). Round trip took us 4.5 hours, including a 20-30 min stop at the lake.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Beautiful, 63° October day with beautiful vistas and Aspen color popping. Scant snow, great sunlight and only saw 2 people in 11 miles

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Parked at Spooner Summit to save us each $8. adds a couple miles to the hike. Beautiful hike gorgeous fall colors.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Beautiful trail, lots of fall colors! Don't confuse the mtb trail with the hiking trail!

Saturday, October 08, 2016

We parked at spooner parking costs $8 for nv residents and $10 for others. We hiked down to spooner it was beautiful. We took the pedestrian trail to Marlette lake it was a bit boring. Marlette was beautiful! We took the flume trail back down it was gorgeous! We walked thru aspen groves changing colors. So pretty. Just have to get out of bikers way every once in a while. I'd take the flume next time. Great October hike to see leaves changing.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Beautiful area!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

From spooner up to Marlette is a grind if your trail running I walked a few up the hill climbs with pride :) Marlette is beautiful and full of energy with MTB traffic from flume riders. Run back to Spooner felt like it took 1/2 the time.

Friday, August 12, 2016

This would be a 3-4 star trail with few views but I took a few tips from the great Top Trails guide to Lake Tahoe and turned it into a great 5 star outing. I am just sorry I did not record the track, to make it easier for others to follow.

I will do my best to describe it, and perhaps I will record the track on my computer later and upload it.

I started from the Lake Spooner trailhead and hiked the trail to Marlette Lake. It goes on a forest road for maybe half a mile and then it splits: bikers need to stay on the forest road, but hikers can take a shaded path (North Canyon Trail) through the forest. I definitely recommend taking it: not only is it prettier, but you will avoid a lot of the MTB traffic. The trail is part of Flume Trail which is very popular with mountain bikers (of all skill levels).

I stayed on the path until I came to Marlette Lake and then took right and walked to a junction with a restroom. Here you have two options. If you continue straight, you will come to "Marlette Overlook". I believe that one can see both Marlette Lake and Lake Tahoe from here--I saw some pictures and they look impressive but I did not take this path.

Instead I turned right, hiked up on the forest road used by bikers, perhaps 1/4 mile past the map and junction on top and then turned left on Snow Valley Rd. This road climbs quickly for about a mile and then crosses Tahoe Rim Trail. I turned right on the Tahoe Rim Trail and hiked it all the way to the Spooner Pass. Great views along the way.

The final part is taking the trail which runs around Lake Spooner and get from Spooner Pass to the parking lot by Lake Spooner.

All-in-all it is about 14 miles.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great. The trail itself is a dirt road but the scenery is beautiful the whole way. There were more mountain bikers than hikers but it wasn't an issue as the road is wide and can accommodate both. You are at a constant and decent incline the entire hike up to the lake.