Lower Whites Creek Trail

Lower Whites Creek Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 931 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that this trail was closed due to erosion for a significant amount of time. The park is no longer reporting it as closed, but please note conditions may change and closures can occur again.

Nice relaxing trail. No big inclines or declines. Close to houses/property lines at some points but the rest of the hike outweighed that. Followed the creek for part of the hike and has little areas right off the trail to sit and enough it. Shady at spots but overall not shaded. Beautiful this time of year.

I took my toddler on this trail to do some exploring and wandering. Overall it was fine, some parts of the trail were very narrow and with thorny bushes. We passed some hikers with their friendly dogs and one mountain biker. There was a lot to see and gather for my little one. I try to incorporate nature play every time we are “hiking”. Regardless of how far we get I would come back with my kids but I enjoy exploring new trails every time we go out.

This trail seems to be used mainly for mountain biking but my pup & I had a great time! The creek is still flowing pretty good and there are some nice resting spots next to the water along the way. It was pretty hot during mid day but it was still a good time.

it was fun, probably would be a better hike than a bike ride though, had random huge rocks in the middle of the trail and on the steep parts coming back it was pretty sketchy. my fiance liked how sketchy it was but I did not it made me scared to go fast.

The creek was nice & cold. You could here it for about 1/2 of the trail. It was a hot one but - good exercise.

It just not that pretty. Tight trail, no city views. The rushing water was wonderful along the way

This trail was beautiful, the day was perfect , you’ re in the trees at times and close to the creek most of the time however you can see homes at times but basically you’re able to ignore them. My boots got hot so as I was crossing a little bridge near the end of the trail I took off my boots and socks and put my feet in the water but I’ll tell ya you couldn’t keep them in it very long the water was very cold but after I put my socks and boots back on it felt so good. I did it again on the way down too all of which was great fun! Just a lovely hike and day.

beautiful and peaceful. lovely creeks along the hike too! perfect for dogs and horses

I do this trail regularly, and really it offers so much! The foliage is quiet thick in the lower elevation, but once through that it’s beautiful. There is some erosion(washout) but it’s quite doable. The creek is very active and flowing full! I love to stop and dip my bandana in the creek to help me cool down! I enjoy this trail a lot!!

Great trail for dogs/ family. Can get muddy.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Closed. We tried to do it anyway since we drove all the way there, but it's not at all maintained and you can't go more than 1/4 mile in because of the erosion. (Can't say the sign didn't warn us) Hoping this gets fixed.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Closed due to erosion still

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Fast, fun single track with a few surprises. I like to link it coming down off Upper Whites Creek from Galena.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

A good mile of the hike is surrounded by houses, however, once passed, it is a very beautiful trail. You follow the creek the entire time and there are a lot of birds singing. The trail seems to be more for bikes, but it still is a very lovely trail. Bring old shoes because the trail has a lot of sand that will get in them.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Trail temporarily closed because of erosion.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

I'm glad that I chose a day with a wind advisory to hike this trail. With the raging wind, I wasn't able to hear the traffic on the nearby highway. I was still able to hear the river and enjoyed that. Lots of Aspen's growing along the creek. Lots of Private Property signs. Not many large pine trees until the very end. Lots of sagebrush for most of the trail.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Pretty

Friday, September 15, 2017

Great trail running! Narrow track in most places with some rocky sections, smooth dirt, sand, etc. Some beautiful birch tree sections too. Awesome place to train. Saw 2 mountain bikers which would be fun as well, but lots of blind curves so you'd have to be careful ripping this trail.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I like this trail for mountain biking but two challenges exist right now as of May 2017. The "lower-lower" section by whites creek park is really washed away by flooding. You actually will have to walk through a deep rut for about 50 yards right after leaving the park going uphill - but then it gets better. Secondly, about 3 miles up track you hit a construction zone where the trail is closed for construction of a housing development bridge. The detour is not well marked and takes you on construction streets. Keep a sharp eye out to get back on the trail asap.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Very pretty in early spring. Creek was rushing birds were singing. There was a sign indicating closure for flood damage but it was minimal and still very passable.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Don't waste your time. Not scenic,no shade and not worth the trip.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Great! My four year old walked the whole thing. It was actually 4.3 miles exactly so longer than we expected but still great, even in the snow!

Friday, September 18, 2015

I enjoy going to Galena Creek Park. it is on the southside part of Reno and ton the way to Mount Rose, a popular ski resort. There are numerous trails that start from the Visitor's Center. The Thomas Creek Trail and Whites Creek Trail are both very scenic and are adjacent to The Wildlife Wilderness Area. The directions to the park are: Take Highway 580 north (or south) to Mount Rose Highway towards Lake Tahoe. You can only go westward from 580. There are several exits into the Park. The Visitor center is the first exit, on your left (traveling westbound). Enjoy picnics, hiking and fishing. There is a stocked pond where you can fish for trout. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

If you combine this with other trails in the area it is worth it. The smaller trails alone are too short and quick. You need more time to enjoy the surroundings.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Follows Whites Creek from Thomas Creek Road to Timberline Road. Lower third is rocky, middle is sandy. Middle runs through an area being developed for housing