Lower Bristlecone Trail

Lower Bristlecone Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Las Vegas: Take State Route 156 south to where it ends in the upper parking lot of Lee Canyon Ski Area. The trail is located to the left, at the end of the parking lot.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Just hiked this on Thursday (5/5) and it was 99% clear all the way to the Bonanza Trail connection. The upper trail was still under too much snow for me, though clearly marked by an adventurous snowshoe-er. The climb was easy and views were magnificent.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I just went on April 25th. When we showed up to the trailhead, we encountered and 1/2 foot of snow and it began to snow on us while we were there. Needless to say, we didn't get to take the trail, but we enjoyed the scenery.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Monday, April 06, 2015

The lower trail is definitely a bike trail. My friend and i started at the upper trail and we had to carry our bikes for most of the hike/cycling.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

There's a lower and upper Bristlecone. Upper Bristlecone is more mountainous than lower Bristlecone. It was a great hike, especially with the snow and cooler weather!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Monday, May 19, 2014

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Had just the right amount of shade to shield us from the sun, the right fluctuation of inclinations to help us work up a sweat but not come off as too strenuous. My friend and I hiked up this loop continuously at a moderate pace and managed to cover he trail in about 2.5 hours. I couldn't possibly get enough of all the pine and fir that surrounded the mountains. Definitely a sight that isn't very common down at the lower elevations. And with fall just around the corner, the leaves were starting to change colors. It was one of the most pleasant sights to see and not to mention, the weather was perfect although the rain clouds worried us a tad. Thankfully the rain never came and we finished the trail feeling all refreshed and all ready to try it again one day.

Sunday, August 05, 2012

parked at the upper trail and planned on mountain biking it.... needless to say it was a little more than I bargained for heading in.... upper trail is definitely a hiking trail (maybe riding downhill from the top)... ended up walking the bike up the trail... however, once I got to the connection with the lower trail, oh boy! so worth bringing the bike up... coasted the entire length down on the lower trail and just soaked up the great weather and beautiful views... if you choose to bring a bike the lower trail is all uphill but easily ridden, the upper trail is all technical and forested... if your hiking just figure out which way you want to end on... keeping in mind that the difference between the 2 trailheads is .8 miles and the upper is higher in elevation... all in all a great few hours out of the day... not to mention all the nice people along the trail

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rad Mountain bike trail! Be cautious of hikers at the end of the downhill.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Great snowshoeing trail!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

this is great from Sept to October as the leaves start to change! a great get away from Vegas and the heat... watch out for wild horses! I loved this hike... reminded me of upstate New York!

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

i love this hike. We do this hike about 5 - 6 times in the summer as the weather is cooler. The views are awesome and it is a fairly easy hike.