Lower Bristlecone Trail

Lower Bristlecone Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Las Vegas: Take State Route 156 south to where it ends in the upper parking lot of Lee Canyon Ski Area. The trail is located to the left, at the end of the parking lot.

Hiked this on July 4th with my husband and my dog. It was fairly easy for me, it was uphill almost the whole way but it was a very slow incline. I wouldn't consider myself in shape and I didn't haven any issues. The trail is wide enough for a car the entire time which makes passing nice. The views were awesome. It was fairly quiet and cool temperatures even during the summer. I will definitely go back.

Went on this hike in June and started the hike at 8 am. Excellent views and peaceful walk. It was not crowded at all yet. I recommend that if you only want to hike half the trail then start from the Upper trailhead then turn back when you want, but if you want to do the entire loop then I suggest starting from the Lower Trailhead. There are websites out there that explain why but trust me it makes for a better hiking experience. Our favorite thing to do is take cold watermelon with us on a hike and eat it at the top of a loop or before we turn around to trailhead. Very refreshing on a hot day.

It's mostly a two track/jeep trail. Not too strenuous but decent climb. Only a handful of folks out there.

Sunday, September 11, 2016