Learn more

Lovell Canyon Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Loop

A hike off the beaten path near Red Rock Canyon in the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness. This is an easy hike that takes you through some beautiful wooded area. There are a lot of juniper and pine trees along the trail. The trail tends to go up and down in elevation so be prepared for that. The trail was put in place by the US Forest Service with the help of local horse people. It is a trail which can be done in a loop as shown here or you can do the trail from the trailhead to the Schaefer Springs Trail and then back, a distance of about 4.5 miles. You can do this hike and add the Schaefer Springs Trail to this one to make a nearly 2 mile longer hike. There are a number of options. There's not much evidence of recent use by the horse crowd so it's basically wide open for joggers and hikers. Mountain biking is not allowed on this trail.

Great hike. My wife and I hiked it for the first time and loved it. Not real difficult but a nice hike through the woods and ended up at a nice meadow. I bet in the spring it will have beautiful flowers. It starts up hill but not too bad. We plan on hitting it again as soon as the weather warms up. Bring a jacket or sweatshirt just in case it is snowing like it was when we hiked it.

I love this trail. Please be aware that trapping is allowed legally in Lovell Canyon if you plan to leave your dog off leash.

Hi, I just need any info. What do you think to do it with my 5 years old?

Great trail! Pretty secluded. Lots of forestry and beautiful Mountain views. Not a difficult trail, just a little up and down to begin with but not hard at all. Easy walking trail. Good for dogs off leash.

This was mine and my wife’s first hike together when we first started dating. Wanted an easier hike to do so we can talk and not catch our breath. Very straightforward! Well maintained trail, great for kids. Wait for some winter snow to fall at lower elevations and head to Lovell. First come first serve campground close by, too. Dog and kid friendly. Easy enough to bring a mountain bike, too.

Beautiful mountain views. The wooded path was amazing. The trail had areas of snow and ice but still manageable. Hiking stick or polls would’ve helped through the snowy patches. My fur buddy loved the snow. It was his first time and he couldn’t get enough of it. I will definitely hike this trail again. I do recommend a hiking stick or polls if you have them.

Very snowy (as deep as 12-18") at the moment but provided great traction at higher elevations. Great sceneries. may spot the occasional deer.

icy

hiked from our campsite. icy about a half mile in.

Great trail with great views.

Great hike through varied terrain.

It's a nice trail for an easy Sunday hike. It's a very green trail, nothing like the usual Canyon trails around Las Vegas. If you miss the green landscape every now and then this is the place to go. We have seen more spectacular views, but we're a little spoiled and have been doing many trails already

has anyone backpacked in ??

we only went to the loop split, but as far as we went it was very nice. easy to follow trail, not too many switchbacks and lots of gorgeous views of mt Charleston.

Tue Apr 02 2019

some down trees on path. easy hike

Fri Sep 07 2018

great hike beautiful.

Thu Feb 22 2018

nice hike with beautiful views and very few people

Mon Nov 20 2017

I love the beautiful scenery and easy pace of this hike. So many trees and nobody else was there.

Mon Jul 10 2017

Nice trail for horses. Wonderful views of trout canyon from above. We were the only ones on the trail but hikers with dogs unleashed were just coming off as we approached the trail head. Always use cation and be aware of others when rounding corners.

Sat May 06 2017

Sun Apr 23 2017

My only problem was it's definitely not stroller capable!!! It looks like a decent trail. I can't wait to try it with a pack for my baby instead of trying the stroller. A fellow patron had just came down and said the stroller won't fit he doesn't think but to try it. So we did and it didn't work HAHA. So just a heads up.

Mon Mar 27 2017

Beautiful views offered a great escape from the city!

Wed Mar 15 2017

My husband and I are hiking newbies, so at 5.5 miles this was a bit challenging. It's an excellent work out; it took us exactly 3 hours to complete. There are quite a few fallen trees that you either have to go under or climb around, but nothing crazy.

Thu Sep 19 2013

Excellent trail system for hikers and horseback riders alike. We often see cat tracks overlaying our horses hoof prints so make sure and keep your dog on a leash if you take one. Good chance to see elk and deer.

Sun Oct 02 2011

Hiked the Lovell Canyon trail today - great weather, fairly well marked trail. Heard elk bugling on the trailhead side of the mountain both going out and coming back....