Lovell Canyon Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Loop

A hike off the beaten path near Red Rock Canyon in the Rainbow Mountain Wilderness. This is an easy hike that takes you through some beautiful wooded area. There are a lot of juniper and pine trees along the trail. The trail tends to go up and down in elevation so be prepared for that. The trail was put in place by the US Forest Service with the help of local horse people. It is a trail which can be done in a loop as shown here or you can do the trail from the trailhead to the Schaefer Springs Trail and then back, a distance of about 4.5 miles. You can do this hike and add the Schaefer Springs Trail to this one to make a nearly 2 mile longer hike. There are a number of options. There's not much evidence of recent use by the horse crowd so it's basically wide open for joggers and hikers. Mountain biking is not allowed on this trail.

Beautiful area. As a Sagittarius, I was on the lookout for but did not happen upon any local horse people from the description.

Great day hike. We did accidentally walk up Griffith's Loop a little ways so we added a little extra to our hike. I am a novice backpacker and decided to test out carrying my gear on this hike. Some up's and down's, so be prepared for that. Amazing views, very peaceful, we saw a total of 4 other people on the entire hike, so pretty remote for us. Really enjoyed our day!

Great Day hike and escape from the hustle of the city. I took my 10yr and 14yr old daughters and although they were exhausted by the end of the hike they were able to complete the hike with ease. Also, we saw a deer which was pretty cool.

Great hike, begins with a good incline but evens out after that with a great mix of shade and not, well marked trails through trees. Well traveled, the parking lot was full when we arrived on a Saturday at 8 AM. Will do this one again, great fun!

Very enjoyable hike in and out of shade and pines. Great view, even the 50 minute dirt road drive was good. My only complaint was that it was well trafficked and fairly busy considering “outback” the location. The trail is well marked with signs. Loved it!

Nice easy trail, with beautiful scenery! Fairly busy even on the weekday (maybe saw 7 other cars)

Great casual hike. First 1/4 mile is up hill and gets your heart beating. The hike has a lot if peaks and valleys with a large variety of views. Mix of tree coverage and no shade=open areas. well marked and good for all levels of hikers.

Did this trail at night with headlamps and got off trail for awhile. Also completed Griffin's Loop for a total of 10.8 miles.

Pretty hike, not difficult for the most part. It was fairly crowded, especially later in the morning and midday (on Saturday.) I’d probably avoid this trail for the rest of the COVID-19 pandemic, if social distancing matters to you.

Easy trail to follow. I enjoyed it.

ohv/off road driving

nice easy trail, like super easy. we went in our 4×4 razor and we could have taken my nissan versa. nice camping places on the way. will be back to camp for the weekend. wouldn't call it an offroad trail, more of a dirt road that leads to pahrumps back end.

Great hike. My wife and I hiked it for the first time and loved it. Not real difficult but a nice hike through the woods and ended up at a nice meadow. I bet in the spring it will have beautiful flowers. It starts up hill but not too bad. We plan on hitting it again as soon as the weather warms up. Bring a jacket or sweatshirt just in case it is snowing like it was when we hiked it.

I love this trail. Please be aware that trapping is allowed legally in Lovell Canyon if you plan to leave your dog off leash.

Hi, I just need any info. What do you think to do it with my 5 years old?

Great trail! Pretty secluded. Lots of forestry and beautiful Mountain views. Not a difficult trail, just a little up and down to begin with but not hard at all. Easy walking trail. Good for dogs off leash.

This was mine and my wife’s first hike together when we first started dating. Wanted an easier hike to do so we can talk and not catch our breath. Very straightforward! Well maintained trail, great for kids. Wait for some winter snow to fall at lower elevations and head to Lovell. First come first serve campground close by, too. Dog and kid friendly. Easy enough to bring a mountain bike, too.

Beautiful mountain views. The wooded path was amazing. The trail had areas of snow and ice but still manageable. Hiking stick or polls would’ve helped through the snowy patches. My fur buddy loved the snow. It was his first time and he couldn’t get enough of it. I will definitely hike this trail again. I do recommend a hiking stick or polls if you have them.

Very snowy (as deep as 12-18") at the moment but provided great traction at higher elevations. Great sceneries. may spot the occasional deer.

icy

hiked from our campsite. icy about a half mile in.

Great trail with great views.

Great hike through varied terrain.

It's a nice trail for an easy Sunday hike. It's a very green trail, nothing like the usual Canyon trails around Las Vegas. If you miss the green landscape every now and then this is the place to go. We have seen more spectacular views, but we're a little spoiled and have been doing many trails already

Thu May 23 2019

has anyone backpacked in ??

we only went to the loop split, but as far as we went it was very nice. easy to follow trail, not too many switchbacks and lots of gorgeous views of mt Charleston.

Tue Apr 02 2019

some down trees on path. easy hike