beach

I'm surprised this trail is open year round. We went on 6/6/18 in 101 degree weather. It was brutal. The trail is not clearly marked at all. We followed what we thought was the trail which lead us to an 150-200 foot dead drop. We wandered around until we found what looked like another trail. Luckily smart hikers stacked rocks which eventually guided us down to the river. The river was beautiful and a welcome reprieve. There is a lot of scrambling climbs, and loose rock, so you need to be experienced. It was so hot, that the tread on my hiking shoes literally was burned off! Coming out, we got on what we thought was the Lone Palm trail, and it took us way out of the way, and away from the direction we needed to go in. We tried to use GPS, but service was in and out. Google couldn't pin our exact location, and the apps for hiking were of no use. We spent an hour by the river, after it taking 2 to get down. It took us wandering for 4 hours to get back to our car. We were almost at a point of calling search and rescue, as we ran out of the gallon per person and 32oz Gatorade each. I don't recommend doing this alone, inexperienced, or in the summer months. Unless you have a trail guide that will actually have you on the correct trail.