Learn more

Las Vegas Overlook Loop is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a hike to the Muffins and a trail that goes along the edge of Blue Diamond Hill with views of the Las Vegas Valley. You return by a mountain bike trail called the Boneshaker. The hike is moderate in difficulty. The difficult thing about it may be the distance. There is in excess of 1,000 feet of elevation gain on the way to the Muffins and then on to the Las Vegas Overlook. There's a still a bit more until you reach the crest of Blue Diamond Hill and walk along the trail that goes to the second overlook. From there, it's downhill, some of it being steep and a bit dicey. Much of this trail was formed by mountain bikers and horseback riders. Much of Blue Diamond Hill is criss-crossed by various trails that bikers, horse riders, and hikers use. You can extend your hike by going any number of ways or exploring this hill in different areas on different hikes.

this was a good one. I can see how the trail can be confusing, start trail along side of 2nd horse pen, go N through Joshua trees, till you reach your first true fork and go right up "bone shaker trail" (marked on Google maps), every other true fork you should be making lefts. Except one once you get to a big cairn pile, stay right to stay on boneshaker. you'll pass a radio tower and straight ahead is an incredible view. I made a loop north from there and went down "Bob gnarly trail" (also marked on Google maps) again making lefts at all true forks. the description here on alltrails does not follow the map they give you, I assume there are many ways to make this hike, but again, if you've never been to this area it can be very confusing. I made a short vlog (with more info in description) if you want to see how the trail goes: https://youtu.be/kQBcY1eIOOg YouTube: On the Rd Las Vegas Overlook happy trails

Terrible experience!!!! I got lost with my sisters. All of a sudden the trail ended. Through the hike there are many trail splits with no signs so you really just have to hope for the best. Unfortunately we never got to the peak to see the view of the strip. Instead after 2 hours we had to go back the same way we came back. In total we walked 8miles.... arrived at 5:30pm and did not make it to our car until 9:30pm. BEWARE!!!!!!!

Las Vegas Overlook Loop Review: In the last 12 months, we completed this hike 2.5 times. Our first time was February 2019 just days after Las Vegas was hit with snow. The challenge then was the cold weather and slippery/icy terrain. We attempted this hike last summer before 7 AM and turned around after 2 miles due to the heat. We just hiked this trail a few days ago and the weather was perfect. This hike is no cupcake, but at the same time, I didn’t think it was too difficult. Just keep in mind that the total distance is a little over 6 miles, it will take over 2 hours to complete, the climb is between 1,500-2,000 feet, and 90% of the trail is exposed. If you ever climbed Exploration Peak or Lone Mountain and thought either one was hard, then this hike is NOT for you. I compare this hike to Turtlehead Peak or Gass Peak. The view is awesome!! Stats: According to AllTrails, the total distance is 6.3 miles round-trip, 1,534 ft elevation gain, and rated as "hard". My stats are about the same. The only difference is that my Garmin has the elevation gain a little over 2,000 ft. Location & Tips: I'm unsure where exactly the trailhead starts, but you can park off NV-159 and Fossil Ridge Road or GPS to Cowboy Trail Rides (4053 Fossil Ridge Road, Las Vegas, NV 89161). Due to the Coronavirus and all the shutdowns, the main parking is currently closed, but you can still park on the side of the road or in front of the parking lot. There is typically an enough space to safely park if you get here early. -Start from the Horseback Riding signage and head down the trail. The stables will be on your left side and as the trail begins to merge right. Take the first trail past the stables on the left. The trail is clearly defined (even in snow) and easy to follow. -Around .75 Miles: You will see two trails; one is leading left and the other is straight. Head straight and from there, you'll reach a few switchbacks. After 4 sets of switchbacks, you'll reach a split. The trail to the left heads to Muffin Ridge and the trail to the right heads towards the overlook. Follow the trail to the overlook. From there, it's another 2 miles to the highest point and the overlook. -The overlook is around the 3-mile mark. Enjoy the view, snap some pics, but be careful. Keep in mind that you're still on top of a mountain. Gravity always wins. -Heading Back: You can either backtrack back to the trailhead or continue the trail to complete a full loop. Continue the trail and you'll reach the flattest part of the hike. You know you're there when you see the solar panels. Continue to follow the trail to another trail dubbed Bone Shaker Extreme. Follow that trail down and watch your footing. Parts of the trail is rocky, slippery, and potentially, bone shaking dangerous. Follow that trail and eventually, you'll reach the area that leads you back to the trailhead.

great view of las vegas valley, so close to town, love it!

Awesome view from the top! The hike back down is not as exciting as far as views, but overall I loved it!

One of my new favorites. Went up clockwise. Would probably be rough going up counterclockwise. A little bit of ice on some of the switchbacks. Great views.

Went up clockwise. Climb is fairly steep and long. Especially difficult if you carry a weighted pack. I took up 26# for added difficulty. Could definitely feel it in my quads (and lungs!) View at top of the city is the best I’ve experienced! Coming down terrain is rocky and steep. Was definitely hard on my knees. All in all, this was one of my favorites; and I hike at least 1-2 per week in Red Rock.

Tue May 07 2019

This trail has some amazing views! Not only do you see LV and the strip, you also have fantastic views over Red Rock Canyon and Mount Charleston! We go hiking a lot, but this trail definite kicked our butts! We did this trail counter-clockwise, and coming down the Bonebreaker trail was not pleasant. Definitely bring hiking poles! Even with them, it was fairly difficult to go down. I would definitely rate this hike as Hard, not moderate. It took us about 4 hours to do the loop, including a 20 Minute Break on top and some stops for pictures on the way.

Wed Apr 17 2019

Wed Apr 17 2019

So many butterflies and many lizards. We spotted several larger birds too. A delightful day for a hike!

Mon Mar 11 2019

The first 2-3 miles is mostly incline, with a great view of the strip at the top for a good 1/2 mile. You also have great views of the red rocks behind you for the majority of the trail. The trail is a bit rocky in parts, but nothing more than knee high. Completed in 2.5 hrs, including breaks for pictures, etc. There are no markings for the trail and some parts can be a bit tricky, so it is helpful to have GPS. At the beginning, stay to your left once and then (veer left at the horse corral). Saw a couple of of wild burros. Not bad for just a 25 minute cruise from the strip!

Thu Jan 03 2019

One of my favorite hikes.

Sun Dec 16 2018

Great hike with some challenging climbs.

Sun Nov 25 2018

My girlfriend and I hiked this with my mom (who is 73) at the end of November. We started at about 1 pm and finished the loop at 5 pm. There was only one trail marker the entire time and that was at the start of the mountain bike trail, three hours into the hike. We even asked the workers at the horse corral if we were on the right track as there was absolutely no markings. They didn't have a clue. When you start make sure you go straight up the road past the corral and then good luck from there. The views were spectacular and we were pretty much the only hikers in the middle of a Saturday on the trail so I definitely recommend it.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Great hike !! Great view of LV on the top. Last portion of the return is not easy

Sun Apr 22 2018

Took a little longer than expected, but our group loved the trail. Be sure to use the app because the trail is not well marked at places. We only saw 9 people during the entire 6.3 mile loop which is why we selected this trail. The views of Las Vegas and the Red Rocks are great and the elevation and loose rocks make the hike difficulty moderate. Loved it and would do it again. It took us 5.5 hours for the entire loop but all of us are over 60 years old.

Sat Mar 31 2018

Hiked this a few years ago over the Thanksgiving weekend. Moderate effort but not very well marked. We took a few guesses that turned into dead ends. Since we weren’t on a schedule that wasn’t a problem. Very nice view of Las Vegas.

Fri Feb 23 2018

Stunning views on Red Rock and on Las Vegas. Trail is not marked good enough so it is beneficial to control the way by using GPS in AllTrails app.

Mon Jan 29 2018

Great views and a good workout. Best part was how few people were on it- only passed 5 hikers and 3 mountain bikers on Saturday at 10a- hard to find that anywhere in Red Rock. Also, very dog friendly- I was able to keep mine off leash for about 5 out of the 6 miles.