Lamoille Lake Trail

Lamoille Lake Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spring Creek, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Somewhat strenuous hike along Ruby Crest Trail to high mountain lake (Lamoille) If you're not in shape or conditioned to the altitude, this high mountain hike will kick your butt !! I've seen locals run past me up this trail, but most of us climb very slowly and enjoy the incredible scenery. You have your choice of taking either the hiking or pack trail (stock doesn't have a choice) -- the hiking is steeper with looser rock but takes you under the trees more and along some unnamed ponds before you come to Dollar Lakes. Don't be fooled by Dollar Lakes, continue on to Lamoille Lake for the real reward. I've been there in August with snow still covering the banks of this lake. Fish practically jump onto your hook, but practicing catch n' release assures this lake has plenty of fish. The trail continues past Lamoille to Liberty Lake and the entire Ruby Crest Trail, but Lamoille Lake is a nice day hike destination. If you get too chilled by the lake, take the pack trail on your descent, the exposed trail should help you warm up in the sun.

This trail is NOT HARD I would call it easy to moderate. It goes by very quickly and there are two little ponds before you get to Lamoille Lake. We saw a bullsnake trying to swallow a big toad. The lake is beautiful, and the trail is pretty popular.

Cool views. Busy in the afternoon. Saw a man walking with a pack and double-barreled shotgun- that was weird.
Unfortunately, tons of erosion from people getting off trail and also cutting switchbacks.
Agree with others- this trail is not hard- on the easier side of moderate (mainly because I’m not accustomed to altitude).

Beautiful trees to walk through on this hike. There are a few switchbacks but it isn't too bad. Lamoille Lake is absolutely breathtaking. This also seems to be a choice spot for people to jump off the rocks into the lake. It is a chilly plunge but that doesn't seem to stop them. You will hike right passed the Dollar Lakes to get to this one. I would highly recommend it.

This is probably the most beautiful scenery I've ever experienced on a hike. The trail is just hard enough to get a great work out in without being too difficult. I went after work and made it to Lamoille lake in about 75 minutes.. The only downside was all the mosquitos at the lake. The fish were jumping so much it looked like the lake was boiling! I didn't stay long and made it back to my car just before sunset. I will definitely do this one again!

Great hike. There were a few steep spots but not too bad. Trail is easily seen.

Great trail. Fun day out with the kids. Wouldn’t class it as difficult.

Beautiful... there was still snow

Hiked this with my 6 and 4 year old today. Took about an hour and 40 minutes one way. Lots of snow and ice towards the top. Great hike!

Fantastic hike! A great oasis from the desert valley.

Love this hike! Went yesterday and there is about a foot of snow at the lake, but some patches have melted off. I've hiked it sevaral times and I love the spring there when the snow is melting and the wild flowers are blooming and the streams are flowing.

Friday, September 08, 2017

The trail was peaceful and beautiful. Just the right amount of difficulty for someone who doesn't hike as much as she would like.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

The better hike is past Lamoille Lake to Liberty Lake. It is one of my all time favorites. I hiked there last week and found tons of wild flowers. Lamoille Lake is emerald green and full due to snow still melting. I disagree re: shade. I think there's plenty! If you like a more remote hike with few people this is it!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Nice outside of Elko. Hills, trees and streams are great for pictures.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great workout, not much shade though.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Great family hike. Each step holds breath taking views. continued past the Lamoille Lake over Liberty Pass to Liberty Lake. The view was spectcular. I loved the smell and flower of wild onions growing along the trail to Liberty Lake. My ipod calculated the almost 10 miles round trip. we did come across a small search party with a dog looking for a young 20something man who has not returned since end of july. He was scouting for deer.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Very nice, with well designed switchbacks. The lake is beautiful, and the brook trout eager. The trail is fairly heavily used.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Beautiful trail, well maintained. Trailhead placard has it as 2 miles one way, but I thought it was longer, so on the way down I set my Fitbit timer, stayed completely on trail (no shortcuts), and went pretty much straight down without stopping. It tracked it as 2.59 miles and took me 1 hour and 6 minutes to go down. (I'm slow, my faster kid was about 15 minutes ahead of me). Speaking of kids, I took 6 with me, their ages are 14, 13, 13, 12, 9, and 7. They all did the hike without complaint. We took water, peanuts, peanut butter crackers, oranges, and bananas to snack on at the top. Hardly any litter on the trail which made me happy. In July there was still some snow in shady spots, the kids loved playing with it, (especially the Arizona kids!). Dollar lakes were beautiful, but Lamoille Lake was breath taking, the views down the canyon were awesome too! Lamoille Lake was cold, but a few brave teenage boys swam and my kids had a competition to see who could stand calf deep the longest. I even saw someone catch a little rainbow trout. Great day hike, took us around 4 hours and that was with at least an hour to hour and a half playing and exploring at the lake.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Amazing

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Extremely pretty! So much more to do here. Still snow on the ground and in the lake even in late June.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Hiked with geology group on July 2 2013. Nice short hike, up hill to the lake and downhill on the way out, the way I like it! Pretty scenery and a nice lake to lunch at. Talked to a fisherman and saw him pull out about 5 brookies within 20 minutes. And me without my pole! Pretty, mellow, fun hike. Campgrounds in the area were being run by the grumpiest camp host I have ever encountered, we ended up disperse camping down the road a bit. Good times

Friday, October 12, 2012

This hike is scenic and not difficult. I have done this hike twice and look forward to doing it some more. The first half is the steepest but levels out as you get closer to the lake. The fish are small but fun. My min pin was able to complete the hike with no problem even though she is not much of an outdoor dog. My wife and I look forward to going over liberty pass once the weather warms again. Great hike.

recorded lamoille lake