Lake Mead: Anniversary Narrows

Lake Mead: Anniversary Narrows is a 9.9 mile loop trail located near Overton, Nevada. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We spent 2 very tiring and frustrating days trying to find the trail for this hike. Yesterday, we explored the whole area only to find signs telling us to keep out and stay alive, and today more of the same. First and foremost, if the area is closed to the public, the park ranger should inform the public of same so folks don't waste their time! Also, if the owner is not allowing the public access to his or her property, it shouldn't be advertised to mislead people to believe this area is open to the public.

We attempted this trail yesterday only to find signs staying keep out and giving us a number to call. There were no trail markers and multiple roads that never seemed to lead in the right direction. We still had our own fun and explored the area since there were no workers on Sunday! Climbed a little and looked at the views and saw mountain goats! Hate we missed the narrows!

Well worth the effort to get to this slot canyon - every turn is an incredible sight!

Friday, May 06, 2016

This really is a must see if you like scenic slot canyons, but not in hot weather, cooler in the slot, but the way there would be miserable in Vegas summer. March was perfect.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Went in mid April. Access to the ore mine area that leads to the Narrows is gated however they're open until about 4:30 pm. Workers will let you pass. There's another way to access it but it's a long way around. Look it up online before going just in case.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Access is still closed

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Access is closed to the public. Signs are posted saying "keep out if you want to stay alive" and to contact the bureau of land management to reach the narrows

Monday, February 23, 2015

Friday, December 12, 2014

With the exception of the "busy" trailhead (mining operation, the bucolic sounds of very heavy machinery :-) ) I found this hike quite magnificent. I did drive my rental Altima (carefullY) to the parking area just before the dirt road goes down to the wash and the mouth of the Narrows. The guys driving the huge trucks and the jeeps were really friendly and considerate, slowing down and apologizing for the tail of dust they left for my enjoyment.
Once in the narrows it was pure pleasure all the way though and to the summit / Anniversary Narrows peak. As the elevation profiles shows for all tracks, the second part of the hike (once you leave the wash) just keeps getting steeper all the way to the saddle and beyond. The very final leg to the summit requires a minimum of technical skills, sure footing and comfort with heights and drop[-offs. What a treat to reach the top and look all around though! Views of the Bowl of Fire on one side and the Muddy Mountains wilderness on the other are worth every burning calf up and aching knee back down.
I am providing a link to a site I found very useful as a visitor to the area (birdandhike.com). It is how I eventually selected this hike.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

We tried to do this hike last year, but the mining operation shut us out. We did enjoy some other trails but were anxious to leave after an eerie find. A Bible laying in off road way out there in the desert left me with a strange feeling there was something amiss. I don't know if I expected to run across a burning bush or a dead body but we made a rapid exit. The flies never bothered us until we stopped, then they really went to biting!

Thursday, October 02, 2014

We can't check-in when we got there. "no service" and by the time my phone got service, it says "too far to check-in"! But it is really beautiful in there

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Monday, January 06, 2014

Great hike. No one around -- quiet and peaceful.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The road was in good shape as of dec1 2013 our VW had no problem. The hike is easy with a hand full of side treks to explore.

Friday, October 19, 2012

This is a relatively easy trail that has amazing views once you're into the narrows. We walked from the main road and everything was open allowing access to the narrows. If you have time you can follow some of the mining ruins that will take you to some awesome views.