Lagomarsino Canyon Trail

Lagomarsino Canyon Trail is a 9.9 mile out and back trail located near Sparks, Nevada that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

historic site

Do not do this hike alone!

This is a very isolated, dry, and rough canyon trail. The only water on the trail is a few miles in. This is also open range land, so there are territorial bulls throughout the area. ZERO cell service. Hike smart.

The footing here is bad. Very easy to fall and hurt yourself. Be sure someone knows where you are going.

Parked in the pull off at the opening to the canyon. The first 1/4 mile has a sandy trail. But after that you are mostly just following the dry creek bed.

When you reach the water, it’s not always easy to tell what is water and what is solid land. Highly recommend some poles to test the ground with.

Canyon will get cold over night. Did this hike in early August and the night temp was down to the 30’s

This canyon is obviously used by gunman. Be sure to stay aware of your surroundings and don’t be surprised at the number of shell casings at the beginning of the canyon.

Saw several nerds of mustangs. Even got within ten feet of one. Tons and tons of wildlife. You won’t be disappointed.

***warning*** we were about halfway to the petroglyphs and ran into a herd of cattle with four bulls, one huge one. They split the big bull came at us we climbed up a steep shale runoff in retreat. We were pinned down for about ten minutes. When we were able to move again we skirted the edge staying about fifty feet up out of the creek bed. Til we saw the other part of the herd heading up the other side of the valley. Very nerve racking was not prepared for that. Will try again after I learn how to deal with that situation I wanna see the petroglyphs. As for the trail its pretty hard to follow, only good thing is you're always heading in a positive direction. A lot of litter at entrance.

This is my becoming my new favorite. If you're in for adventure and solitude, this trail is for you. Much of the trail winds back and forth across an active creek (probably seasonal) with you choosing your own route and frequently crossing the creek. It took until my way back on my first trip to effectively navigate the canyon grounds without getting bogged down in the muddy waters and thick branches of the creek. And even then, it wasn't until my second trip that I got more proficient and began to find a trail more often (hint: pay attention to the canyon walls and the creek side trees). There were lots of wild critters, and on both trips I saw a wild horse. This trail links up with a four-wheel trial just before the petroglyph site (which is incredible in its own right). Throughout this hike, you are constantly walking on difficult terrain. From rock to rock, up dry creek beds, it's few and far between when you can just comfortably let your foot fall in front of you without planning each step. On top of that, the consequences for failing to cross at the right time can entail jumping from muddy platforms and crawling beneath branches until you clear the muck. For these reasons I would classify this trail as hard. It may not be too tough later in the summer if the creek disappears. I'm excited to return every season to see how this area changes.

We had a great time on this hike. The most animals we have ever seen on a hike. The trail is hard to follow because it disappears, but as long as you follow the creek you’ll be good. Took our 8 year old son and only made it in about 1.5 miles. We stopped a lot to look around, catch tadpoles, frogs and check everything out.

scenic driving

Has anybody been up this trail lately? I’ve looked at all the reviews and the previous recordings and it looks like everyone has taken the creek bed off to the left of the concrete/quarry entrance, however the local sheriff informed me not to go that route since it is through private land. He did say that I could take the road off to the right and go that way, but it seemed to have a lot of uneven terrain. Any suggestions?!? Thanks!

I liked this canyon, it was fun and challenging at times, but as a solo hiker, I felt it was too remote. No cell service, just my dog and myself. I would definitely do it again if I wasn’t alone.

Im not sure I would consider this a moderate trail but it was an amazing canyon hike! The trail can be a little difficult to find at times but a great adventure finding your way through. Bring plenty of water or a filter with you because it's long and hot. The stream was flowing but I do not know if it's seasonal. Such a cool little spot just outside of town. Petroglyphs at the end!

Very good canyon hike, for the most part there isn't really a trail. Still a nice hike up a beautiful canyon none the less, well worth the effort. Saw a lot of horses as well.

This is a cool little hike through a high desert canyon. I went after it snowed so it was very hard to follow any actual trail there might have been. I only made it about half way through before I decided to turn back since it was just tiring trudging through the snow. It's a cool canyon though and I'll be going back for sure to check it out when there is no snow on the ground. It was nice and peaceful and I had the entire place to myself

Difficult in the winter but beautiful! There is a lot of back and forth across the creek, mud, ice, great hieroglyphs at the end, but the trail is not clearly marked. Lots of thick trees and bushes to navigate through too. Seemed longer than 9.9 miles round trip. I️ recorded 12 miles, probably because of the back and forth across the creek and the trail not being clearly marked. Hiked much faster on the way back. Very slow hike on the way up to the hieroglyphs.

See attached photos.

Certainly not a state park trail. No nice clear path to follow, nor signs. Scuttling over rocks, back and forth across the stream trying to find the easiest path through the fallen trees. No Verizon reception, when I do it again, I'll have the pro version. Gorgeous rock walls and scenery. Open cattle range and wild mustang territory, so lots of scat.

So this trail isn’t really a trail. It may have been once upon a time, but now most of the hike is in the creek bed.

Also, it looks like this canyon can have a ton of water in it, so be careful of that if it’s storming.

The petroglyphs are cool, though.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

was a great trail but the wet winter flooded it out. the petroglyphs are amazing and totally worth the hike.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Moderate, for who? Dry creek with multiple size rocks. Trail, very difficult traverse.

Sunday, October 26, 2014