La Madre Springs Trail

La Madre Springs Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Las Vegas: Travel ten miles west along State Route 159. Once at the Red Rock Canyon Visitor Center turn west onto a trail. Automobiles are along on the trail. Continue until Willow spring parking lot.

Nice trail. It’s closer to 4 miles to the spring and back. Good for dogs. They put down that annoying small rock on the trail. End of September and the spring was nice for our dogs to drink and lay down in. Great views too!

Beautiful easy-moderate trail. Wonderful views throughout

This is my first time doing the trail, and I loved it. Definitely very rocky for almost the entire way… But a good pair of hiking shoes did the trick. If you’re going with your dogs, make sure that they are very trail ready, meaning that they are seasoned and their feet can handle it or that you have booties for them. They been some rain the night before so the Streamwood very full. I attempted to go up fee on the stream to the minors cabin but the trail was a little confusing and the day it was getting late so I didn’t wanna run the risk of getting lost

recorded La Madre Springs Trail

Trail is poorly marked and very rocky. Definitely more moderate and not easy. Sign mileages are wrong and underestimate actual length. Walk to trail head is 0.5 miles.

Hiked this trail on our second trip to the park—it wasn’t quite what we expected. The hike to the “waterfall” was beautiful and probably more of a moderate hike vs easy hike. However we were a little disappointed in the waterfall, as how it was more of a trickling spring than a waterfall (at least when we were there, that might differ depending on when you go?) I really enjoyed that there weren’t many people on that trail, so it was very peaceful. All in all, I’d recommend for the scenery and secluded trail—just don’t have high expectations for the waterfall (:

Great trail for easy to moderate hiking, a lot of people stop once they get to the beginning of the spring but the trail keeps going and it’s much more beautiful once you get into the canyon itself. Highly recommended!

Not nearly as fun as Calico Tanks, but an okay trail for a moderate workout.

Really nothing special. Nicely secluded, but well traveled on the weekend. If you park at the actual lot you spend a long time walking up a road - high clearance will get you to the actual trailhead.

Not a bad hike, but there in my opinion some better areas in the park. I will say I was sort of tired after a big mileage and once I got to the springs, I sort of looked at it and turned around.

We are hiking ourselves into shape and this was a good hike to do that, not too long not too steep. There were plenty of opportunities to explore. We found two of the foundations. The trail was lightly traveled when we did this hike. The views were nonstop.

This is one of my favorite hikes in Red Rock due to the views of the White Rocks hills and the foundations of 3 old homesteads. If you tread lightly, there is wild life to be seen especially at dusk and dawn. It is a slight incline all the way up the trail and the rocks on the rail take your attention away from the views. Lots of shade and during peak heat, these provide some relief from the high temperatures. There is another trail the parallels La Madre Springs Trail for a while, White Rock Loop trail; some people get this trail confused with La Madre. During the cold season, you can find snow and ice: weird in the desert to see cacti surrounded by melting snow. During warmer times, you can see all kinds of insects at the spring: Bumble Bees, Honey Bees, Dragonflies, Butterflies and wasps; The large, black wasps are called Tarantula Hawks and have the second most painful sting of all insects (see my link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITrR1t-v5Q ). For some people, this display of insect life is unremarkable; people who hike the dessert see this as an amazing oasis of life. If you follow the stream that feeds the dam, you will find all those insects plus humming birds. There is a trail that roughly follows the stream that leads to a “Miners Cabin” along with two exploratory mines. The Miners Cabin Trail is detailed elsewhere on this site.

It’s a steady uphill climb that’s a good workout. Great quick hike to get the blood flowing. I didn’t think it was “easy” by any means.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Make sure you keep going until your reach the remnants of a camp (structure and fire ring). Nice views along the way. Bring lots of water.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

not much of a spring was visible. may just be the time of the year but regardless super fun and moderate hike.

Saturday, August 04, 2018

Incline up the hills weren't to bad but the offroad rocks at the start are a bit of a pain to walk. Only one sign letting you know you're still on the path. Couple of extra markers would be nice. Almost turned around because I wasn't sure if I was on the correct path.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A great and relatively easy way to get back into parts of Red Rock that you can’t see from the loop drive. The backside of white rock is beautiful and the trail climbs enough to reach some different environments with more vegetation. Nice little creek at the end. Beware bikes, ATVs and some SUVs on the early part of the trail which starts on an unmaintained road. Half mile in and you’re only on trails though so not bad.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Unfortunately did not get a payoff at the end of the trail. Highlights included many deer mules roaming around. I will have to reevaluate the hike and rating. Just learned if you continue on the path their is a abandoned "cabin" and mines to explore.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Great trail while visiting Vegas with good views of the canyons

Friday, January 12, 2018

Amazing views of a forest (and creek at the very top) surrounded by a variety of epic layered rock formations

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Fun Xmas hike with 9 year olds

Friday, December 15, 2017

Very nice hike. Lovely spring at the end. Lots of side trails

Sunday, November 26, 2017

First part is on rocky road used by off-road vehicles. Decent incline to the spring. Views aren't extremely remarkable, but there were some pretty views of the back side of the Red Rock mountains. The spring was a little underwhelming. Didn't make it up to the old mining house further up Fromm the spring....wish we had. Dog did great on the trail. Wasn't very busy at all early on a Saturday morning.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Decent incline, not too strenuous, a bit on the dull side but the views near the end are really great. Lots of cars/jeeps on this trail.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Kind of away from most of the busier trails in Red Rock with lots of other small trails to venture off on. Not really very difficult with a gravel path the whole way really

Monday, September 18, 2017

Definitely more of a moderate than easy hike, but maybe that was just me. Not much shade at the beginning of the trail. Once you cross the creek, the trail is a little overgrown and slightly harder to follow. There's a few steep parts at the end. My friend and I went down the wrong path a few times but eventually we found the tiny waterfall at the end! A staff member at the visitor center told us that if you go there early enough, you might see some wildlife. We didn't see any, but maybe I'll come back to try again.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

This was my first hike ever. 31 and getting out more. I loved it, Maybe a little farther past " the end " the springs open up more, we found a little water creek, but my assumption was this time of year it's not as active. Beautiful though.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Pretty hike, lots of deer, but the name is a bit deceiving. Not sure the trail actually goes all the way to any springs. Someone mentioned a small dam had been put in at some point farther up. Was nice to check it off the list tho. Red Rock is gorgeous!!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Moderate hike for a beginner like myself with a steady incline. Not much water in the springs this time of year but scenery was pleasant.