La Madre Cabin Trail

La Madre Cabin Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Fun hike to explore old abandoned cabin above La Madre springs I've heard stories that this cabin was used by outlaws, miners, cowboys (line shack), and drifters. Since there are abandoned mines above, and this canyon was used for livestock, there's probably some truth to all the stories. The origin and use of the cabin is probably not as interesting as hiking up & discovering it yourself. This trail might be a little steep for children, and is not maintained regularly. You'll cross the creek bed several times so beware of both slippery rocks and erosion. You can continue this trail beyond the cabin and eventually to La Madre ridge and peak, or just hike up and explore until you get tired. Be sure and leave some energy for the descent, it can be steep and treacherous. Although this cabin sees frequent use - for picnic & overnight (see park staff about primitive camp permit), most people respect the historic artifacts and remnants lying around. Please do not remove or disturb anything -- it is protected and is illegal to take.

The first half is the La Madre Springs hike and the springs kinda mark the half way point. at the springs there are a crazy amount of Dragonfly and Bees along with various wasps; be careful of the Tarantula Hawk, it has the second most painful insect sting right below the Bullet Ant.

Past the springs foliage is amazing and you almost forget you are in the middle of the Mojave: Pine, Juniper and reeds to name a few. The trail gets a little hard to follow here and there and it crosses the stream that feeds the spring a few times.

Things get a little steep as you get to the "Miner's Cabin" but it is worth getting there as the view is amazing.

If you want to find the mines above the cabin, things get a little rough and steep: one of the mines is about 40 feet horizontal and the other one descends into the ground, so I did not explore it. I think the mines are worth seeing but it did take me a few tries to find them.

Around one of the mines, I found a stone with a fossil in it.

I take about 2 liters of water with me when I go.

Friday, April 28, 2017

We hiked on a great weather day in April, first 1/3 is along a wide gravel path, it then gets narrow following a creek. Beautiful views as you hike, waterfalls, stream, wild flowers. We saw a variety of snakes, including a rattlesnake who wouldn't budge off the trail. (watch your step). at the top is a miners cabin, and further up, is an old mine.

Sunday, April 01, 2012

My hike today started after 12p with just wanting to make it to the springs but once we got their saw more trail so had the need to keep going as the trail got harder my desire to complete it got stronger and once we made it to the cabin we had to find are way up to the mines as tired & hard it was there was no way we were going to turn back untell we made it the total round trip took about 5hrs 30min

Friday, May 26, 2017