Kraft Mountain Loop Trail

Kraft Mountain Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Backcountry route to the summit of Kraft Mountain, alternate exits exist for this rugged mountain peak. As temperatures cool into the double digits exploring the rugged hillsides of Red Rock Canyon is an outdoor adventure everyone should take to full advantage. Kraft Mountain sits on the eastern edge of Red Rock Canyon. This backcountry route reaches the summit of Kraft Mountain. Several alternate exits exist for this mountain peak.

1 hour ago

Good scenic trail with all kinds of spots to climb and hangout

Agree with everyone’s comments, once you’re no longer on the front side of the mountain it gets harder and harder to know where to go. I never made it completely around but I hear it is possible! I’ll be back to conquer it!

The waypoints on the map give a better idea of the complexity of this route. There are few if any real trail markers (the occasional cairn may be found but are non-directional and so far spaced to be of utility), and you will routinely have to double-back to get back on trail. The portion over Kraft mountain is apparently Class 3+ or Class 4, which would have been helpful to know, as a rating of "difficult" doesn't fully explain whether it is technical, or just steep. Still, a very pretty hike.

Love it

As depicted the east half of this loop is at very least extremely difficult and no easily recognizable trail. We got half way up the north slope and turned back down to the wash and "dashed" trail to finish the loop around the east side traveling clockwise. Beautiful and scenic

I give this 3 stars b/c it was so difficult to follow the trail. We started out E and came across a trail marker that took us and another small group in the wrong direction (someone being funny?). So we doubled back and went the other way. We got to a fork with two trails leading in seemingly opposite directions-no trail markers. We made a choice and continued for .25 mile or so and decided to turn around b/c we couldn’t tell where the trail was leading and we weren’t sure we were on the right trail. We passed a local on the way back that told us both trails loop around and are Kraft Mountain loop. ANYWAY, this trail is a great location and I would say moderate difficulty for the average hiker, but the trail could definitely be marked better for people who are less familiar.

Can be challenging at times but offers up close and personal views of the red cliffs,

Great place to hike. There was another trail down by the river bed and it’s much more challenging than the man made trail(though this trail is not ideal for kids)! Overall, we enjoyed the hike.

Great trail! Only thing is don’t miss the exit which isn’t marked or you’ll have to boulder down a cliff which I enjoyed more and so did my dog. He’s a pro climber though.

It’s a great short hike with classic red rock views. I wouldn’t categorize as difficult. There is a bit of scrambling but it’s not that challenging if you’re a little agile. Don’t take your grandma, but you don’t need special skills either. I’d suggest doing this loop starting on the left of the mountain. A little more uphill at first (which I liked) and much easier to stay on trail from that direction I’ve found.

This is my favorite, short hike when I don't have all day. It combines the right amount of scramble, hiking and trail running! And not to mention the views are wonderful :-)

I believe there are a couple of different trails getting lumped under this description. The 3.xx mile trail turns out of gateway canyon right where it opens up after meadowlark lemon and tailpipe (climbers will recognize those two boulder problems) and crosses the hell hill trail through the kraft mountain saddle. The 4.xx mi track some have recorded skips the turn into the saddle and continues (if you started hiking east) and connects behind kraft mountain to Ash Canyon where it then gets pretty technical. Lots of scooting and scrambling down the Ash Canyon wash and probably not ideal for kids or dogs. That said it is an incredibly varied hike with open desert, wash scrambling and meandering trails through the kraft boulderfield. Highly recommended.

Challenging and fun hike. I started to the right and came down the steep part. the trail is not really marked just follows the natural wash for the most part. Do not bring dogs or kids. I am 5'3" and some of the boulder scrambles I was just able to do with my height. This trail rewards with scenery and some upper body work out.

I just started hiking this year and fell in love with this trail! However I just wanted to clarify on something. The trail listed on this site in completely different than the one on the national park sign when you walk in.

The comments on here really confused us because half of them said children and dogs can complete this no problem and the other half said it is very difficult and do not bring your dog.

The trail on here is advising you to actually hike up the mountain and climb, which requires much skill level. The hike the national park map lists is for an actual mapped trail around the mountain.

We ended up following the trail on this app and ended up way too far in over our heads and we turned back down the mountain as the next comments about the trail ahead advised needing class 4 skills. We were definitely not prepared. The trail is beautiful and I captured an amazing photo as we almost hit the top of the mountain, however THIS TRAIL REQUIRES A HIGH SKILL SET. It is also, NOT the one listed on the map when you start and you should NOT bring your dog or a child.

This is our "go to" hike! It's fairly easy, and more exciting if you start to your right. Going left you go straight up and then everything else is down. It's great because you don't need to go into Red Rock and drive the entire loop to get out. The rocks are stunnng. You can challenge yourself more by climbing into the red rock and exploring. We hike this frequently, don't bring your dog. There are several high drops and climbs that would make it tough for your pup. A great hike if you don't want to deal with the traffic in Red Rock.

This is one of my favorite hikes.

Great hike! We had a German Shepard with us and started to the left up the mountain. About halfway, there is a 15 foot bouldering drop that our dog could not get down get down. I would suggest staring to the right with a dog as they may be able to trek up. Another dog we encountered (collie) started that way and did fine.

Favorite hike so far in the area. It started snowing when I made it around to the backside of the mountain. The water that was running through the wash was amazing. The way it flows over the rocks is incredible. Also, an amazing view of turtlehead peak once you hit the wash on the backside. Great hike.

Difficult climb up. Straight up. Came down the back side. It felt safer. Not quite as scary as the climb up the front side. Beautiful flowers throughout the whole hike.