Kraft Mountain Loop Trail

Kraft Mountain Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Backcountry route to the summit of Kraft Mountain, alternate exits exist for this rugged mountain peak. As temperatures cool into the double digits exploring the rugged hillsides of Red Rock Canyon is an outdoor adventure everyone should take to full advantage. Kraft Mountain sits on the eastern edge of Red Rock Canyon. This backcountry route reaches the summit of Kraft Mountain. Several alternate exits exist for this mountain peak. This route is a difficult hike with scrambling and rock climbing and should be attempted by experience and prepared hikers. For a less technical hike, check out this loop: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nevada/kraft-mountain-loop

The trail was beautiful and challenging. A lot of rock climbing. Trail is not marked well.

Traversed trail counterclockwise but did not find an obvious trail up the peak. There was a trail sign heading up the scramble, but the path was not clear. Followed trail around the perimeter but stopped at a clearing. It would have required significant scramble to cross large boulders. Pretty spot, lots of rock climbers, and beautiful rocks. Better signage needed.

Some areas are challenging to navigate, tight passages that require minimal rock climbing. There are areas to get off the trail and climb some. Great hike.

A beautiful somewhat challenging hike. I hiked it counterclockwise and was happy I did. The trail starts out a little drab but gets nicer as you go. There is a nice view towards the end after the trail takes you up a hill.

My fave hike in Red Rock, I’m there quite often. It starts off easy then can get a littl difficult so make sure to bring plenty of water. If you hike into the canyon you can either relax at the top r go further in. If you do prepare to do some scrambling.

This hike as mapped is just someone exploring and recording the Hike. Beautiful but no marked trail of any kind as you get off regular loop and climb to top, follow ridge line then descend. Difficult, with significant exposure and truly an exploration. Be ready to backtrack, trying alternate routes and bring plenty of liquids and snacks. A hike we anticipated lasting 2 hours turned into a near 6 hour mostly rock scrambling outing. Be careful, not for the faint of heart!

the trail was beautiful. definitely easy to get lost if your not paying attention. i went counter clockwise and missed the trail marker taking you up the moutain to complete the loop. i hiked 2 miles out of my way and climbed some crazy rock wallls then turned around when i realized i had no exit. definitely recommend this trail in the fall or spring.. heat was brutal in july

I would definitely recommend going counterclockwise on this trail. Maybe hike it a few different ways because of the scrambling. Remember, do not climb down something you can’t climb up! I dropped into the slot canyon clockwise, and was anticipating shade at 5-6 pm with little to no luck. There are some gorgeous rock formations and bandings. Beautiful hike. Recommend to take a friend.

Awesome trip. Parking lot is out of nowhere and some really beautiful homes near by. The view is incredible once you get to the top! Very easy to get off trail but try to follow the rocks.

was fun

Kraft Mountain trail is located at the Calico Basin and you don't need a pass or permit to go hike here. When you start the hike, it is a little bit deceiving...very easy start to the trail - we went round the mountain on the right side when facing it. It starts off very easy and then dips into the canyon with spectacular views of the surrounding canyon walls. About 50 min (5 year old ) into the hike it gets tricky and you will have to climb up some parts to carry on through the canyon. When you get to a part of the trail where it opens up again there is a sign that says trail...but when being new to the area and trail, it was difficult to see where the trail leads (straight on or left - you turn left and hike up the mountain) because it heads up the mountain and that does not have a clear path because of the rock face. We finally bumped into hikers who could show us the way and we headed up and over the mountain. When you make it to the top you have awesome 360 views of the Canyon and surrounding areas. It is an exciting trail.

amazing hike. one of our favorites!

This hike is super pretty ! A bit “interesting” to navigate with a few forks, but we had a great time exploring .

This loop was very fun to hike and I loved the scenic route through the canyon. The trail was a little hard to follow since the trail was often forked (though every route lead back to the parking lot). The canyon trail was super fun with loads of rock-scrambling. The trail took my family (49, 38, 14, and 12 year old) about two and a half hours to complete (family very athletic). There was this one part where the trail dropped down about ten feet creating a slide like formation. This section was pretty hard to get down though our family did it without any scrapes or bruises. The trail is very fun and I will definitely head towards it next time we're in Vegas.

My wife, kids (12 and 14), and I loved this trail. It was hard to follow the trail at parts, but the visibility makes it is easy to navigate around the mountain to complete the loop. It is part hiking and part rock-scrambling. We started with the climb up through the saddle, then came down into the canyon. Both parts were equally beautiful, but the kids loved the rock-scrambling in the canyon. Good, challenging fun!

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Trail was fun! We stared from the left and continued clockwise when we came across most people did the other way. Someone reviewed that this trail needed more sign to help hikers to stay on the path, which I agree so much. We seen many people practicing rock climbing which is pretty cool. Liked this trail. With some parts, you really need to figure out how to overcome some puzzling way to keep moving forward but you will find different way so, if you feel your stuck, don’t worry, you are not.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Good scenic trail with all kinds of spots to climb and hangout

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Agree with everyone’s comments, once you’re no longer on the front side of the mountain it gets harder and harder to know where to go. I never made it completely around but I hear it is possible! I’ll be back to conquer it!

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The waypoints on the map give a better idea of the complexity of this route. There are few if any real trail markers (the occasional cairn may be found but are non-directional and so far spaced to be of utility), and you will routinely have to double-back to get back on trail. The portion over Kraft mountain is apparently Class 3+ or Class 4, which would have been helpful to know, as a rating of "difficult" doesn't fully explain whether it is technical, or just steep. Still, a very pretty hike.

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Love it

Monday, January 08, 2018

As depicted the east half of this loop is at very least extremely difficult and no easily recognizable trail. We got half way up the north slope and turned back down to the wash and "dashed" trail to finish the loop around the east side traveling clockwise. Beautiful and scenic

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

I give this 3 stars b/c it was so difficult to follow the trail. We started out E and came across a trail marker that took us and another small group in the wrong direction (someone being funny?). So we doubled back and went the other way. We got to a fork with two trails leading in seemingly opposite directions-no trail markers. We made a choice and continued for .25 mile or so and decided to turn around b/c we couldn’t tell where the trail was leading and we weren’t sure we were on the right trail. We passed a local on the way back that told us both trails loop around and are Kraft Mountain loop. ANYWAY, this trail is a great location and I would say moderate difficulty for the average hiker, but the trail could definitely be marked better for people who are less familiar.

Monday, December 11, 2017

Can be challenging at times but offers up close and personal views of the red cliffs,

Monday, November 13, 2017

Great place to hike. There was another trail down by the river bed and it’s much more challenging than the man made trail(though this trail is not ideal for kids)! Overall, we enjoyed the hike.

Monday, November 06, 2017

Great trail! Only thing is don’t miss the exit which isn’t marked or you’ll have to boulder down a cliff which I enjoyed more and so did my dog. He’s a pro climber though.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

It’s a great short hike with classic red rock views. I wouldn’t categorize as difficult. There is a bit of scrambling but it’s not that challenging if you’re a little agile. Don’t take your grandma, but you don’t need special skills either. I’d suggest doing this loop starting on the left of the mountain. A little more uphill at first (which I liked) and much easier to stay on trail from that direction I’ve found.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

This is my favorite, short hike when I don't have all day. It combines the right amount of scramble, hiking and trail running! And not to mention the views are wonderful :-)

Saturday, September 16, 2017

I believe there are a couple of different trails getting lumped under this description. The 3.xx mile trail turns out of gateway canyon right where it opens up after meadowlark lemon and tailpipe (climbers will recognize those two boulder problems) and crosses the hell hill trail through the kraft mountain saddle. The 4.xx mi track some have recorded skips the turn into the saddle and continues (if you started hiking east) and connects behind kraft mountain to Ash Canyon where it then gets pretty technical. Lots of scooting and scrambling down the Ash Canyon wash and probably not ideal for kids or dogs. That said it is an incredibly varied hike with open desert, wash scrambling and meandering trails through the kraft boulderfield. Highly recommended.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Challenging and fun hike. I started to the right and came down the steep part. the trail is not really marked just follows the natural wash for the most part. Do not bring dogs or kids. I am 5'3" and some of the boulder scrambles I was just able to do with my height. This trail rewards with scenery and some upper body work out.

Monday, August 21, 2017

I just started hiking this year and fell in love with this trail! However I just wanted to clarify on something. The trail listed on this site in completely different than the one on the national park sign when you walk in.

The comments on here really confused us because half of them said children and dogs can complete this no problem and the other half said it is very difficult and do not bring your dog.

The trail on here is advising you to actually hike up the mountain and climb, which requires much skill level. The hike the national park map lists is for an actual mapped trail around the mountain.

We ended up following the trail on this app and ended up way too far in over our heads and we turned back down the mountain as the next comments about the trail ahead advised needing class 4 skills. We were definitely not prepared. The trail is beautiful and I captured an amazing photo as we almost hit the top of the mountain, however THIS TRAIL REQUIRES A HIGH SKILL SET. It is also, NOT the one listed on the map when you start and you should NOT bring your dog or a child.