Kraft Mountain Loop is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 593 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Great scenery with several rock scramble challenges. Although dog friendly, this is not an ideal hike for most dogs since it is very rocky and requires scrambling.

Fun hike for beginners

I was pleasantly surprised how scenic this hike was throughout the entire trail. I’ve haven’t hiked calico basin trails before and with this experience I’ll be definitely going back. We did it counter clockwise to get a little bit more challenge bouldering up as opposed to down if you take the traditional clockwise route. We walked down the wash farther than the hike outlined for more sight seeing. Easy, but good exercise and a very pleasant experience overall!

I frequently hike this trail and I must say this morning, Friday, March 13, was epic. I started up clockwise at 6:00am with a headlamp and in driving rain, for the next two hours I experienced some of the most beautiful waterfalls, rivulets, and a fast moving creek that required some route finding, scrambling, and a strong commitment to the very end. I posted a few pics. Absolutely worth every step.

Great hike I’ve done a couple of times now. Some hand over foot, but 5+ can take it. Don’t lose sight of the trail marker if you go counterclockwise. Look for the living room, and make sure to keep my couch warm.

We loved this hike. I was going with four kids so we opted for the counter-clockwise direction. We figured it would be easier climbing up the boulders at the beginning than climbing down at the end. Easy to get off the trail so I found this map to be very useful in staying on trail. One word of caution if you go counterclockwise, be super careful coming down (last 1/3 or so of the hike) as the loose rocks are super slippery on that angle. Despite going very slowly I slipped and fell on a big rock that had loose rocks on it and fractured my wrist.

Little challenging in some spots but great trail overall. And free! Make sure you follow the map. Easy to get off course.

I did the loop counterclockwise. Pretty fun! There were a couple sections in the wash I had to pull myself up on, but other than that it wasn’t too hard to see where to go. Coming out of the wash and going up hill there was 2 official trail markers

This is a nice hike. I did it clockwise so you have a pretty good climb in the beginning. Once at the top you start working your way down and around the backside of Kraft Mountain. The rocks have amazing colors and designs. Very beautiful. There is some boulder scrambling as you make your way down the wash but nothing major. I enjoyed this hike and next time I will hike it counter clockwise for a different perspective. The other benefit to this hike is your in Red Rock Canyon but it’s before the pay station so no entrance fee.

If you go clockwise this is an easier trail because you are climbing down. If you go counter clockwise, this is a hard trail because there some serious scrambling. Lots of shale. I've gone in the fall and the Spring, if you can catch it when the trees are blooming it's gorgeous.

This was a pretty intense trail. I did the hike counter clockwise and therefore I descended at the end. Also, most of the reviews I read talked about a few little scrambles. There is some actual climbing. I actually had to lift my 89 lb German Shepherd in a few areas, and I was wearing my 65L backpack. Had I known that, I would have prepared and not gone during a juice fast. Also, the trail is rated moderate, and yes there are parts that are moderate, it’s also difficult to very difficult in areas. Also, I wouldn’t have brought my dog had I known how much shale there actually was. It was hard on his feet. I would not have worn the multi day pack either, I would have worn a day pack. It’s also 4.3 miles, not 3.1.

AWESOME trail!! We did the hike clockwise. Opposite of what we were trying to do lol according to other reviews, we were planning to do the hike counter clockwise. But anyway, we are glad we did the loop clockwise. The initial ascent was intense!! Once we got through the initial ascent, which was probably about half a mile, the rest of the hike was cake! And so much fun! Scrambling rocks for sure, trying to figure out how to get down at times lol But definitely loves this hike! Not a lot of ppl at all!

This is our " go to hike" when we need something quick. I'm reading a lot of reviews saying it's tough, it really isn't. We hike regularly and this is the hike we use to get back into hiking when we take a few weeks off...don't be afraid of it. If you like climbing up go counterclockwise. if you like climbing down go clockwise. The rock is beautiful and there isn't a lot of traffic. There are several ways to complete the loop. Before the red slick rock ends, go left and into the red rock...it's a blast!

Beautiful trail with plenty to see. Coming from the east coast, this trail and Red Rock NCA was a great taste of the desert.

Did this hike in a clockwise direction. Very scenic and easy to keep on the trail. Going up pink goblin was a good workout but nothing really hard. Will do it again. Update: Did the trail again on12/24/2019. Came down the gateway wash towards Calico Basin and slipped and fell on some rocks. Ended up with a bad laceration on my left knee and possible bruised or slightly fractured ribs. Fortunately I was able to get back to the trail head with no problems. You need to watch for the smooth dark grey rocks in the wash especially if they are wet. Just like stepping on ice, very slippery. I'm pretty much healed up and ready to go back there again. Love it up there! Just gotta be more careful.

Nice easy scramble in Calico Basin.