Keystone Canyon Trail

Keystone Canyon Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I hike this almost every day as my favorite trail in Reno. The dog loves it as he can go up and down the hills and sniff out birds, plus the stream runs year round for him to drink. Lots of options to take detours and carpark to fence round trip is around 70 minutes which is perfect for a day time hike.

Been hiking and running Keystone Canyon since the ‘70s and it is so much nicer with a maintained trail. Very nice up and back hike. Not a lot of spectacular scenery but for an old Desert Rat, it’s great. Watch out for the mountain bikers but 99.9% of them are very courteous and give you a warning when approaching.

Trail is unmarked at the top. There is a merge of 3 trails and its confusing. Ended up having to trail blaze back to the original trail. There is also no shade... so it was hard for my puppy even at 8AM. Sandy and not a lot of scenery.

it's pretty easy there are some rocky areas but nothing big, lots of lizards ,birds and I even encountered a snake (so beware of snakes) but they are more afraid of us so they just slither away.

Nice trails. Great view of the city

It is a nice walk.

Looks like a great hike . We were not snow to hike b/c it was. Dry muddy.

This was a fun trail, but you definitely have to be ready for a muddy adventure this time of the year. The trail is washed out in multiple spots, but it was fun crossing the water & creating our own trail.

Endless trails. Reno looks lovely da further up you go.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This trail is endless. So much fun! Amazing views of Reno. Bikers must check it out.
DO NOT BRING DOGS, or beware of rattle snakes (I uploaded a pic) it was scary!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Nice clean trail, pretty easy and in a good location. Not much elevation gain so it's a pretty easy run as well.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Don't walk your dog here after dark because there's an infestation of ground squirrels. They are everywhere at night and won't even get out of the way. My dog grabbed one and I got him to release it and the little bastard turned around and bit his tongue. Then we proceeded down the upper trail, that is very narrow and they were everywhere. He kept lunging at them since they were just inches off the trail. Dumb of me to go there when it was dark, but I did see two huge Owls, which was cool. Plus the view of downtown Reno at night is always cool to see. This place is real safe and a good place to hike during the daytime though. Beautiful area for a short and easy walk. My dog and I go there at least once a week. It's not 4.2 miles, more like 2.8.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Favorite hiking spot!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

My dog seemed to love his adventure. 5.5miles is about his limit. The trail is easy under foot and no steep inclines. We chose a warm spring day which meant lots of mountain bikers sharing the trail. Some beautiful views of the city and mountains.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Easy trail, nice views, good for the dogs. We went on a Saturday in May, and there was a lot of traffic--mostly trail bikers--but it was a pleasant jaunt. My husband, who isn't a huge fan of hiking, enjoyed this one. No shade to speak of, so bring water!!

Monday, June 01, 2015

Nice out and back with porta-pot at start. Not alot of shade on this hike up through the canyon.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Tried this one a week ago. Nice views of Reno and the "R". Easy to fine and easy to hike. To shade sobering water. This also connects to the halo trail and the rancho San Raphael park trails.