Jones and Whites Creek Trail

Jones and Whites Creek Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,450 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 (Mt. Rose Highway) north until the Galena Creek Rehional Park.

There’s nothing I don’t love about this trail. Haven’t done the whole thing yet but from the parts I have, i definitely recommend it! Beautiful views and multiple creeks. Perfect weather this time of year!

Great fall colors right now. Would recommend!

Much longer than advertised. Fortunately, I was prepared from the other reviewers. Very pretty. More of a medium to hard hike.

Cools down in the afternoon, very long hike — expect to spend most of the day here. One or two very steep inclines but otherwise mild :)

Challenging hike. I went clockwise. Decent views of the valley from the spur to Church Pond. It wasn't too bad but the length of the trail gave me a little trouble as opposed to the elevation gain. At about the 8 mile mark I was ready for the finish. Church Pond is full of water and the butterflies are all over the place. On the way down the far side I met a hiker who said a mountain lion was spotted the day before crossing the trail. I saw nothing but be advised this is a wilderness area.

Challenging and fun hike - I went counterclockwise for a steady incline for about 7 miles then a steep descent. Nice wildflowers including columbine and a few creek crossings.

I wonderful hike very challenging

Super great hike! A perfect workout, not overly tough or dangerous, but definitely gets the heart pumping. Trail seemed popular, but not overly busy (maybe encountered 15 groups along the entire trail). A couple of dogs, but owners had a good handle on them, so they weren't even an issue, especially since I love dogs. Some wildflowers coming down the north end from the pond. Sunscreen is a must, but only because you're gonna be outside for 3+ hours to complete the whole thing. Will be revisiting this one shortly :)

I love this trail in the summer and fall. You may opt to go clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you go clockwise, you quickly gain nearly all of your elevation in miles 2 and 3, then it’s all gradual downhill from there, with the exception of about a quarter of a mile in the last 1/3 of the loop. If you go counter-clockwise, you get 6.5 miles of uphill, then 2 miles of steep downhill, and one relatively flat mile at the end. I’ve done this trail many times and I switch up the direction from 1 hike to the next. This is a very pretty hike with varying terrain and vegetation. It includes a couple of water crossings over logs that are pretty easy. You get views of Reno, Mt. Rose, and the Carson Range. The portion of the trail between the trailhead and the Dry Pond turnoff as well as the portion between the visitor center and the Churches Pond turnoff are high-use sections. I rarely see a single person on the 3+ miles between the Dry Pond and Churches Pond turnoffs. I hike the loop (my GPS records it as 9.6 miles) in about 3.5 hours with a 10-minute snack break at the top. About 1/2 of the trail is shaded. You go in and out of trees, with a few exposed sections. The trail tends to be dusty. It’s not that you are kicking up clouds or inhaling dust, but it is fine enough that it seeps through shoes, socks, and pants. I wear trail runners and pants, but my feet and calves are always covered in dirt when I get home and take my socks and shoes off. I typically only take my running belt with two 8oz bottles of water, but I hike regularly and earlier in the day. I’d recommend a bit more so that you don’t have to ration it. You can also bring a water filter, as their are multiple places to filter water along the way. About 6 miles of this trail are shared with mountain bikers. While mountain bikers are supposed to yield to hikers, I always try to get out of their way. It’s much easier for a hiker to step to the side of a narrow trail. Besides, they have it harder going up the steep trails and I wouldn’t want to interfere with their joyride down the slopes! As others have mentioned, there are many dogs off leash at the beginning and end of this trail. I see about a dozen each time I hike. I love dogs, but beware if you are nervous around them. The off-leash dogs are especially hazardous for mountain bikers coming down the trails. Lastly, I have never seen any larger wildlife, but I have seen mountain lion and bear tracks in the early AM. I sometimes hike as early as 5:15 AM.

Dog bite today, yes I got bit on my left leg by an off leash dog. 99.9% of people with dogs on the “Whites Creek Trailhead” off of Timberline Rd in Reno are NOT FOLLOWING the “required to be on-leash” RULES. This trail, particularly up to the Wilderness sign, has become a dog park. This is my absolute favorite trail for daily hikes in this region, plus it’s convenient. I love dogs, have had 2 large dogs myself for 16 years, but this situation became a problem today. No one should have to hike this trail in fear that one might get bit by a domestic dog. I will be reporting this incident to authorities. I would normally give this trail 5 stars, but the off leash situation with dogs is now out of control.

Hiked the Jones/white loop yesterday. Right at 11 miles (from the campground trailhead) Conditions were great - light winds and high 60’s. We went counter clockwise- the first 7 miles were uphill with the most difficult climb at the end of the 7 miles. Crossed several creeks, the last one so deep that it came up to my calves during crossing. At the end of the trail were steep and rocky switchbacks. We are experienced hikers and found this trail challenging and difficult. Because the elevation gain is over 2000’ we found the uphill climb to the very top was long and exhausting. Couldn’t take a break and sit down because the trail was narrow with a steep canyon on one side. The switchbacks are steep in either direction but they are much shorter than the rest of the loop. So might try clockwise next time. Scenery is gorgeous- mountain and valley views around every corner. Had some snow patches on the peaks but the trails were dry. Encountered other hikers at the beginning and end of the loop- during the middle we saw no one else. Shady most of the first 7 miles- the last 4 miles very sunny. Lose dogs everywhere- we are dog lovers, but this is a problem on every hike.

This is an awesome trail, but it is a VERY steep climb out of the Galena Creek Trail Head for the 1st third of the hike - views are beautiful, the areas the trail follow along Jones and Whites Creek are wonderful- take plenty of water - the short side trip to Churches Pond is well worth it - I would recommend that you take this hike clockwise - get the hard part out of the way early in the day

Beautiful trail with lots of diversity - we couldn’t make it to Church Pond because of snow (early June); although if we had our micro spikes with us it would be been easily doable. We prefer a steep ascent and gradual downhill, so we went clockwise. We encountered minimal traffic for most of the hike as well, with a lot more people/mountain bikers just when we were close to the trail head. Great hike!

Great trail with a good mix of sun and shade. There are a couple snow packs near Church’s Pond, which were a bit slippery given the slope, but nothing horrible. Hiking clockwise the first 3 miles are a bit strenuous.

Definitely a fun hike but I should have gone counter-clockwise. I had my 801b, 1yr old golden retriever pulling me pretty good on the steeps coming down from Church's Pond and my knees were not happy the next day. Cool seeing all the trees bent over in the avalanche runs. Great views.

Great trail with nice biome diversity. It's very popular though so go early.

Hiked this beautiful trail today, and there was still quite a bit of snow covering it at the top. Use trekking poles if you have them! This is a great hike but not easy. The first four miles are mostly uphill.

I had the pleasure of doing this loop today, in under 4 hours with no breaks! I went up clockwise, and had not planned to do the entire loop, as got a pretty late afternoon start after work. However, the beautiful scenery and serenity were melting my stresses away and I kept right on going! This was my first time doing the entire loop this year, and it is pretty hard getting to the top when it's been a while! Totally worth the effort, though. At about 5:30, I knew I was still many miles from my car, and suddenly remembered the gates are locked at 7 pm, so had to hustle. Make sure to pay attention to the posted closing times if you get a late start, like I did. There are pretty yellow and purple low-lying wild flowers right now....and the manzanita are blooming their pretty pink flowers, too. This loop is a challenge, but well worth hanging in there and completing! <3

We hiked up clockwise....3+ miles to the top. It was pretty steep all the way up but awesome views and well worth it! We had lunch at the top, then started down the other side. From the top for about 2 miles down it was snowed in! The only trail was following footprints. There were many spots that were pretty treacherous!! If we had known there was that much snow that far down we would have gone down the way we came up! Oh well, it was definitely an adventure not soon to be forgotten! Also, beware...we saw some very fresh mountain lion tracks as well!

This trail and phenomenal and will always be one of my favorites, but as of 4/27/2019 the path from the top to Church Pond is completley snowed in. I tried to search for it and could not find it with all the snow; however if you just want to go to the top of the trail or do the loop without the Church Pond detour then it is still one of the best trails around.

Great hike! Snow at the top ~1.5 miles of the Whites Creek side, but I didn’t have much trouble in shorts and trail runners. Some of the snow covered creek crossings are dicey as it’s tough to tell if there is any support underneath - I post-holed up to my waist through one crossing. I’d estimate most of the snow will be gone in 2-3 weeks with the spring weather we’ve been having. I packed light with a flash pack and a water filter - there’s plenty of opportunities to fill up on water along the way. I think this will be a go to hike until some of the trails at higher elevations become passable without snowshoes.

nice trail,still some snow on trail,but a beautiful day on Easter Sunday

Moderate hike totally doable even in low top hiking shoes. Spectacular views and great lighting 1 hour before sunset and after for last .5 mile to peak.

great day hike with the pup! lots of traffic but all friendly people!

I did about 5 miles and wanted to keep going but I was alone and it was getting late. I cannot wait to get to this trail again! It was gorgeous and just the right amount of challenging.

What beautiful fall colors! Well kept trail! Lots of uphill!!!! I started to the right of the trailhead. I think I’d go left next. Not as much uphill.