Jones and Whites Creek Trail

Jones and Whites Creek Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 (Mt. Rose Highway) north until the Galena Creek Rehional Park.

Definitely labeled correctly as “hard”, although my report won’t be completely accurate being we did this hike yesterday April 7 2018, not expecting the entire back half of the Loop to be snow, some places thigh deep. Thankfully there was one set of footprints and this app to keep us on the path until our phones died. There was no cell service either. It was quite a trek getting around the loop-we weren’t sure if we should turn around or keep going but we pressed forward and made it around the whole loop.

We crossed the rushing stream 3 times via log bridge.

The views and surroundings were spectacular. We will definitely do this hike again once the snow melts.

2/10/18 - I hiked Galena Creek to Church’s Pond (and back) last weekend and it was sunny/no snow so I decided to do the full loop this weekend. NOT a good idea. After getting to the crest and beginning the loop descend on the back side, there is quite a bit of snow. I kept going assuming it would be short lived since I was dropping in altitude but not the case. There is limited sun on the back Jones/Whites Creek loop side so it was horribly ICY and dangerous, especially with a drastic drop off on one side of the trail the majority of the way down.
I would love to do this hike again after it warms up more and melts the ice & snow off but even with the warm weather we have been having, I do not recommend the full loop right now. Stick with the Church’s Pond out/back.

One of my favorite local trails. Challenging diverse terrain with amazing views and great places to stop relax by the creeks or overlooking the valleys. You can also easily do a partial in and out too if you just have an hour or two, but I recommend counter clockwise unless you want to get a workout climbing. It is also easy to take a wrong turn onto connecting trails on the loop though so bring the app map if it’s your first time out ;)

Such a beautiful place for hiking

Not too snowy yet, no need for snowshoes or crampons. Good way to start getting used to the cold again for decent length winter hiking/backpacking

It’s one of the most technically difficult hikes around Reno.

Have been doing back to back the switch backs part as a preparation for Kilimanjaro coming in February 2018. The second time is brutal as your muscles work the other way after going down 2 miles. Great preparation though.

Great hike, challenging up hill to start wind was really strong today had to cut the hike short. can't wait to go back

Nice walk on. Sunny Sunday! We did the 9. 2 loop without the pond connector. Was great!

5.4 miles up to an intersection with a beautiful loop. you can then continue on if you like.

Great afternoon hike to take your dog on! Depending on the time of day the trail can be heavily trafficked with other hikers and bicyclist. It is nice and cool and has heavy tree cover for the most part. The creeks (depending on the time of year) are actually quite large and your dog can swim in them. There are a few small waterfalls along the way. It is a beautiful hike and very easy to access and convenient to park at.

Please be respectful and CLEAN UP after yourself, pick up your trash and also your dogs poo!!!

Did the loop, fantastic hike! Great views and very serene at Church's Pond.

Difficult hike as it is mostly up the entire time but the views are amazing!

After 7 weeks of trying, finally made the loop.

Went up there the other day, the incline was dificult but it was worth it after we got to the top!

This is an amazing trail, had a lot of fun and great views

A great hiking experience!There is a lot of shades all the way and the trail is maintained very well, only find one place has some mud but easy to pass. We can always find a suitable method to go through the creek in the past experiences but this time there is one point with swift current and a bit wide width which is a little strenuous but makes the trip full of fun. The pond is a good viewpoint with the snow mountain background, and there are some snow on the way to the pond today, thanks to the climbing sticks!

Me and coworker just took this challenge Sunday morning and we're very sore the next day! It's a great experience and there at least three great veiw points which include the bridge into Carson city. However my only issue was the directions towards the end... got lost and ended up making our hike much longer. All and all great hike and very well maintained, as well as friendly hikers!

Did the Jones Creek to Church's Pond on Sunday, May 14th. Still some snow from the turn off of the main trail to the pond and the pond is still frozen, but still a great hike with creek flows at such a high level the scenery is amazing.
Today, Saturday May 20th, we hiked the Jones-Whites Loop (Clockwise). There is still a substantial amount of snow on top between the turn to Church's Pond and the first Whites Creek crossing, so the hike was pretty challenging with the added snow trekking! Still an awesome hike! It took a little over 5 hours as compared to around 4 typically.

Hiked on Friday 21 April. So happy I did and look to return.

Due to snow along upper trail and being solo hiker, I turned back when setting out to the .7 distance to the lake. Maybe next time as I develop familiarity with the area.

Went today, due to snow we couldn't make the full loop, but the views we did see were amazing.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Amazing Trail Run

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Awesome hike. Fun to veer off a bit and go to church's pond.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Wonderful loop. Easier if done counterclockwise, less steep.

Monday, October 10, 2016

this trail was a bit challenging at times but Absolutly doable. a few spots were steep but the challenge is mostly in endurance/distance. Absolutly gorgeous views through the whole loop. I went mid October and while there was some color change I am excited to try this gorgeous trail again in the spring!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Trail is easy to follow but markers get scarce for a bit. Beautiful hike!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Bring a friend for this hike! I did this hike by myself with my dog today for the first time and halfway through I completely lost service & got a little lost because I didn't know I had to cross the creek a few times! The view is beautiful at the top & the trail is shaded nicely. 10 miles gets a little lonely, but it is eerily beautiful.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Always beautiful & a great workout :~}

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Love this area. Great views.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Great trail to hike, with a great scenic view once you reach the peak of the mountain. I recommend to begin the hike early even though the hike is mostly shaded but some parts put you directly in the sun for decent stretches. Even though the trail is difficult, the view at the top is well worth it.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

2 ways to do this one. You can start at Galena and climb Church's knob. This climb is around 2000 feet over 3 miles. Or you could start at whites creek and climb the same elevation over 5 miles. I like putting in the hard work early, so I climb up the hill first. Dropping down the other side is almost mostly downhill and a very pleasant scenic walk. Took me about 4 hours to complete. Make sure you have enough water and be sure to enjoy scenery