Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Jones and Whites Creek Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(354)
Galena Creek Regional Park

Jones and Whites Creek Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,450 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 (Mt. Rose Highway) north until the Galena Creek Rehional Park.

Great hike

There is snow on the trail, but it is very doable. Also took the detour to church's pond. Inexperienced hikers should wait on this detour as there is a lot of post holing. Overall, this trail was absolutely beautiful, and it is the perfect time of year to do this loop. The initial 2.5 miles to Church's pond is a relentless switchback, so be prepared. After this, the trail is moderate to easy.

icy

The full loop is not quite ready yet. There is still a lot of snow and ice the top two miles and the spur to Church’s pond. Quite treacherous at times on north facing side hills. The south trail to Church’s pond junction is fine; gets very icy after that. Great trail!

On April 25, 2020, I set out to do the entire 9.3 mile loop from the horse trailer parking lot. I went counterclockwise since I had already been up to Church's Pond and I knew the trail was clear to the summit. I got about 1.4 miles past the Dry Pond trail turnoff and the snow was pretty deep and looked impassable. Some people coming back from that way advised that you could not make it and the second creek crossing. I turned around and went back the way I came and it was 8.54 miles. I will try again in a couple weekends as this is a great hike!

icy

It’s a great hike. But you can not complete the whole loop because of the snow at the peak.would recommend this trail in late spring/ early summer. Steep hills all thru out the trail.

Loved this hike in the snow! Great views across the Washoe Valley and up to Mt Rose and Slide Mountain. Did the loop clockwise on April 10th. Not much snow up until the Church Pond turnoff. Was glad for my snowshoes for the out & back to Church Pond - but even more so for the descent to Whites Creek, as there was a deep snow all the way down, which made for slow going. Once the trail hits the northern side of the creek there’s much less snow. Would definitely recommend doing the loop clockwise - as coming up from Whites Creek would be tough in the deep snow.

I hiked the entire loop at the beginning of April. Great burn to start if you opt to go clockwise initially as you will gain most of the elevation. Once you reach the peak there is a waypoint for Churches Pond Trail or continuing the loop. There was still quite a bit of snow up there in April, however, I decided to pursue the entire loop. I made quite a commitment at this point because turning around once I went a bit further would’ve been really tiring (but probably the wisest). Snowshoes are advised for the section beyond this waypoint!!!! There are knee-deep snow drifts and you are in backcountry at this point. Once you’re elevation declines you’ve made it onto sure footing. I found the trail to not be very well marked. I merged onto a trail that took me to the Thomas Creek Trailhead and had to backtrack after being exhausted to get onto the trail marked “Galena” that would take me back to the Whites Creek Trailhead. Mile markers would have also been helpful. I would hike this loop again but only in the summer once the snow melts!

icy

Beautiful views over Reno and Washoe valley with all the snow capped mountains. A bit icy in some areas but right next to trail is accessible when needed

Great trail. Agree with those that said longer than advertised. Well worth the effort.

There’s nothing I don’t love about this trail. Haven’t done the whole thing yet but from the parts I have, i definitely recommend it! Beautiful views and multiple creeks. Perfect weather this time of year!

Great fall colors right now. Would recommend!

Much longer than advertised. Fortunately, I was prepared from the other reviewers. Very pretty. More of a medium to hard hike.

Cools down in the afternoon, very long hike — expect to spend most of the day here. One or two very steep inclines but otherwise mild :)

Challenging hike. I went clockwise. Decent views of the valley from the spur to Church Pond. It wasn't too bad but the length of the trail gave me a little trouble as opposed to the elevation gain. At about the 8 mile mark I was ready for the finish. Church Pond is full of water and the butterflies are all over the place. On the way down the far side I met a hiker who said a mountain lion was spotted the day before crossing the trail. I saw nothing but be advised this is a wilderness area.