Ice Box Canyon Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 577 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Las Vegas: Travel ten miles west along State Route 159. Once at the Red Rock Canyon Visitor Center turn west onto a trail. Automobiles are along on the trail. Continue until the parking lot.

Cool little hike. Going after a big rain storm or during massive snow melt will give you the best waterfall in icebox. A tiny bit of route finding. Great hike for kids, or those who do not hike often or are out of shape.

closed

The road to get to this trail is closed at the beginning of the main road. People were still walking in to go hiking but you have to walk 8 miles to get to the beginning of this trail plus the trail itself. Bring your bike if you don’t feel like walking 10 1/2 miles one way

I loved this hike. Though my review on it is months ago since I actually went I still wanted to leave this review. This hike was everything I expected and some. it was vigorous and beautiful. The creek water was really cold, which to be honest was a good thing with the heat and work up this hike gave us. There was knocked over trees we walked across, huge boulders we climbed and AMAZING views. During the time of year we went there was a waterfall though I didn't get to actually see it due to my timed schedule. Beautiful flowers and scenery, just an all around exciting hike.

Fun trail, has a nice waterfall in the end and it tends to get icy sometimes—hence ICE BOX.

Meh. It’s ok. Not really cleared marked and the waterfall is more of a water drizzle. Not bad if you need to kill 2 hours but much better options

Rocky trail with great scenery.

One of my favorite trails in red rock! Pretty easy trail that will take you 1.5-3 hours depending on your pace. Trail is pretty easy to follow. Once you get to the canyon, there are a couple ways to get to the end but anyway straight will get you to the right place. Perfect for anytime of the year however it is slightly more difficult if it’s done after heavy rainfall or snow. This is probably the best hike to do when it’s hot out, but be careful still. For those who are lucky enough to come after heavy rainfall there is a HUGE waterfall off trail. At the VERY start of the canyon if you scramble LEFT & UP through the rocks & bushes you will be rewarded with the coolest waterfall in Nevada (you should be able to hear the fall if it’s strong).

Great trail, a little scrambling but not too intense. Small waterfall at the end.

flooded

fee

This was my first hike in the west so it definitely holds a special place in my heart. The hike was enjoyable and gets a little challenging towards the end. Like the name suggest, it gets really cold in between those mountains! Try to go after a rainfall or the waterfall at the end is non existent. Not my all time favorite of the hikes at Red Rock, but WOW, still very fun and a must do.

This was a nice trail, did it on a misty day and there were still a few people out. Luckily, the boulders weren't super slippery even in the wet weather while scrambling. Route finding can be a bit tricky - take a good look at where you enter the wash and remember it on the way back. Follow my instagram for more adventures @julie_journeys

Forgot to turn it off at end of trail.

great trail, lots of fun at the end. may not be suitable for young kids or dogs.

Good hike in a small canyon that eventually leads to a steep climb up the side of a waterfall.

We had a blast. I had my 7 and 9 year old boys with me. The only tough part was the very end. Getting up to the swilling hole was easy but getting the boys down was a chore. I was a bit nervous for them too. Highly suggest giving it a go.

This was a tough hike if you don’t like walking on boulders and through rocks. It was a nice canyon to walk into but the falls were only a trickle because of the time of year. Not sure we’d repeat!