Ice Box Canyon Trail

Ice Box Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Las Vegas: Travel ten miles west along State Route 159. Once at the Red Rock Canyon Visitor Center turn west onto a trail. Automobiles are along on the trail. Continue until the parking lot.

This hike was enjoyable, bring some friends and some good hiking shoes!

Trail is difficult to follow at times. As you approach the end of the trail some climbing is required, but there was a small pool of water at the top.

A very easy hike and a lot of the trail is shaded so it was nice and cool. Sometimes the water at the end is an actual waterfall, sometimes it's like a small sprinkle.

Pros: The trail had very nice views. The distance was just right for a moderate day hike.
Cons: The terrain was very difficult to navigate. Loose rocks of all different sizes presented a chance to easily roll an ankle.

There are several large boulders at the end of the trail that would be difficult for many people.

The Ice Box Canyon trail is a good versatile trail. It starts off easy and then the deeper you hike into the mountain it gets rockier and requires a bit of extra work. It is considered the "coldest" part of the Red Rock Canyon, especially coming out of winter into spring... bring with something warm. It is a beautiful experience being enveloped by the mountains on both sides.

It was fun. Definitely enjoyed all the great boulders. There was a bit of water trickling down into some small pools of water at the end which was a beautiful sight. I imagine there’s a greater flow after a good rainfall or during the cooler months.
The only downside is that the trail isn’t clearly as marked as I would have liked it to be. On the way back I ended up veering off into the ravine which was fun because of all the large boulders to climb on, up until I realized I needed to scale a steep hill with loose rocks to get back on track. Overall a good hike though. I’d do it again and I’d be more vigilant about trying to stay on the trail, but hopefully they’ll add more markings in the future.

This hike was first on my list to tackle for Red Rock trails. We had a party of 5, and brought 4 medium-large sized dogs as well, which they all did fabuously!! So definitely dog friendly. We went on a Sunday afternoon, with the weather about 80 degrees and the trail was packed with people. It's pretty spread out, so not too noticeable if you're keeping steady pace. Make sure you bring a ton of water, as a good section of the trail is in direct sunlight before hitting the canyon. The waterfall area is small but beautiful, likewise to the surroundings moutains in the canyon. The views aren't spectacular, but the hike is short (about 3 hours total) so totally worth it. Bring some snacks and sit by the water for a bit!! The trail requires quite a bit of walking on sharp rocks - so I recommend decent shoes. Also, don't forget sunscreen!

This was a lot of fun! It gets harder as the trail goes on but only took 1 hour to get to the water fall (and I’m not super athletic at all). TBH it was trickier going down than up for me! One of the more beautiful hikes I’ve done in Red Rock.

Love this hike! My boys can’t wait to come back. Amazing view all around.

Great trail that has multiple paths throughout the canyon. You can make this as difficult or easy as you want. Dogs can make it to the end here, but it all depends on your dogs personality. My corgi is very gung ho and made it to the waterfall, but she had to picked up a few times. Be cautious though as her paws did get scraped up a little bit while sliding on some of the boulders. If you have dog booties or a bigger dog, they should have no problem.
April 1, 2018.

If you are feeling adventurous and want a hike that provides some coverage from the sun, this one is for you. The first portion does take you through open wilderness but you soon get protection due to the canyon walls. There are a few different paths to take once inside the canyon, ranging from moderate to a little more difficult, I see that as a plus since you pick your adventure. I would hesitate on taking small kids and little animals. If you have on some good shoes take advantage of the great grip that the stone provides and make your way all the way back to the falls.

love it’s fun run on sentence

Been a few years since I have done this hike. But did it today with the family. I would say overall this could be a great hike, but not with young kids or animals. I saw many people having to carry or shuffle their pets to get through some parts. There is a fair amount of climbing especially as you get close to the waterfall.

The real down fall of this trail, and why I am only giving it three stars is; once you get into the canyon you really have to work to stay on the trail, as it’s not even close to being marked. Even if you think your on the “trail” it forks several times making you wonder if your on the right path.

But overall it’s a good two hour adventure worth the trip especially if your in the mood for some off trail exploration.

This is a fantastic hike but, I don't agree with it being one for dogs. There are too many spots where you need to climb over some decent sized rocks/boulders that I am not convinced most dogs can handle. Aside from that, and for people to hike, this one is great for a short day hike. It will take maybe 2.5 hours to complete, depending on how long you hang out at the end.
The trail, although not marked perfectly, is generally easy to find and walk. Heading back, I have seen lots of people go to the right and follow the riverbed. That is ok but be prepared to have to "climb" out of the ravine.
I have seen families hike this and think for most kids it is accessible. I would be prepared to do some carrying if you have little ones younger than 5.
As with all hikes in the desert, bring plenty of water, regardless of the time of year. While this does offer shade in parts, the air is always dry. I write this because of how many people I see hiking Red Rocks without water.

Did Ice Box Canyon with my 21 y/o son. I'm 61 y/o. The guide given out at the visitors center rated this as a strenuous hike and AllTrails has it listed as moderate. It is not moderate at all. Very beautiful. After reaching the end and returning down we wandered to the right of the trail and ended up in a ravine. We needed to scale the wall of rocks to return to the trail. I'm very happy that I was able to complete this trail as most of my hiking is in Ohio. My right knee reminded me that this was a tough one.

Lots of scrambling over boulders but most obstacles had a way around them. It was cold and windy wear layers. Beautiful area.

very beautiful, and beautiful sight seeing area and it is not hard at all

Starts off with a light trail walking up to rockier points up to eventually climbing over boulders. I felt so accomplished when I reached the end! You’ll know when you’re there when you reach a dead end that you can’t climb over unless you have gear. Very fun, wear the right shoes !

This trail provided excellent views the entire length! There’s an amazing waterfall at the end that is a bit challenging to get to. BEWARE: the trip down from the waterfall is treacherous if you don’t have the proper equipment. Worth every step!

Beautiful trail, even in the middle of winter.

pretty cool hike in the canyon!

Great hike, if your in the area check it out.!! Bouldering can get a bit challenging but is fun . Enjoy!!

This trail isn’t so bad. You have a good uphill walking distance you have to cover and then climb down into a river where you will see the rocks slowly become boulders. The boulders can make it fun to climb but for those who don’t want to climb over them , there is little path ways around most of them. You’ll know you’re close to the waterfall once you hit a set of boulders that have to be climbed over. I am new to hiking and this is the 2nd hike I’ve been on so far. If an out of shape hiker like me can do it than I’m pretty sure anyone can.

Very short trail. Wouldn’t recommend for little kids, lots of scrambling over big rocks

Was hiking solo so didn’t go deep into the canyon. Great hike if it’s really windy at Red Rocks. Good one for kids too.

This is my Second time on this trail. Great workout. This is not great for someone with bad knees or any previous knee injuries. Do not go alone on any hike especially climbing up to the waterfall area. I had a situation where I was not able to come back down safely. Coming down the slippery rock put the fear of falling in me. Just don’t do it alone. I’m an avid hiker and explorer so I still recommend this hike. It’s beautiful, adventurous and like no other place in the Red Rock Conservation.

Great trail for beginners wanting more than a casual stroll. Some boulders to hoist yourself over. Scramble UP to the waterfall, but don't slip.

Hard but pretty

Great summer hike, lots of shade (for the desert). Not too challenging and allows some freedom off the trail if you want to explore. Go after it rains if you can - makes for a much better waterfall at the end.

Lots of fun. The large boulders made it fun to navigate the trail.