Hunter Creek Trail

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

This trail is garbage. Over crowded, 2/3 of it is just up hill desert then you can arrive to the basic bitch selfie waterfall where your sure to find some bro tanks and hydro flasks. Make sure you write the proper hash tags you cunts. #wonderlust #getoutdoors . Oh and fat people you won’t even make it to the tree line the herd of cattle really thins about 1/2 way up.

off road driving

It was a fun trail. It was a bit narrow for a full size truck, but still doable. I was disappointed that Hunter Lake was a green field. I would do it again in the spring.

It’s for the most part all up I have done this one several times always great but it feels like it never ends

Relatively easy walk, with a few rocky places. The waterfall is worth the trek.

Great trail; not for beginners. Shady towards the end. I clocked it at 8-mile in & out hike to the falls. The Falls were awesome and well worth the uphill climb!

Great hike in moderate weather. Not much shade until you get to the last mile. Advise you start early during the summer. Bring lots of water to keep hydrated!

This is a great trail my daughter's and I love going up here. Well worth the hike to see the waterfall. Beautiful area.

I heard a rumor that there is a steel bridge a little bit further up from the first stream crossing. I never found it and I of course got wet. Bring dry socks, snacks and at least two bottles of water. There are three spots of cobbled hell, just take your time. on my way down, EMS crews were going up to tend someone who got injured. Try to get to the trailhead before ten unless you want to walk an extra half a mile to the trail head.

absolutely beautiful and worth the trek to the waterfall

This was one of the best trails I’ve been on! Our 1 1/2yr old Lab loved it!! Beautiful scenery, wildflowers....the sound of birds and the creek and of course the waterfall! There are a couple of shaded spots along the trail, but not many until you get to the tree line which means your getting close to the waterfall. It was windy yesterday and at some points of the trail the gusts were pretty strong blowing dry sand and gravel. Lots of people on the trail. It’s an easy hike as far as the terrain and elevation goes, but moderate for the length. Not a good trail for mountain biking, though...too many people, and it’s a single trail! People should keep their dogs leashed (even if they are friendly, because people don’t know that and some are afraid of dogs) AND please clean up after them!

I’ve done this trail a number of times and really enjoy it’s difficulty considering how close it is to Reno! If you follow the wider trail from the parking lot, you will probably have to wade through water to get to the other side, but in the left corner of the parking lot there is a much smaller trailhead that can lead you to a log over the creek. It is a bit past the little gully with a drain pipe, and has some wooden steps leading down. The log isn’t in the best shape, so I would recommend only going one at a time, but if you’re really intent on not getting your feet wet that’s the best route I know of! On the other side of the log, go up to meet back with the main trail.
This trail is not super easy, especially in the heat of the day, but it is absolutely doable even if you’re not in great shape! I think it’s a perfect intermediate hike if you are looking to build muscle and stamina and want something more challenging than some of the other hikes nearby. The last part of the trail is in some much-appreciated shade, and the waterfall at the end is wonderfully refreshing on a hot day :)

Beautiful scenery and the waterfall was amazing!

Did this hike with my 15-month-old in the carrier and two other mom friends and their babies. Note that there's no bridge at the first creek crossing and the water's pretty deep, so you either have to make your way across some rocks and logs and hope you don't slip, or travel the other way along/up from the creek to a dam and cross there (that's not meant as a crossing but it worked for us). Trail is very narrow with steep drop-offs much of the way so I would be wary of coming here with younger kiddos. It's also tough to cross the creek just before the waterfall to get to the other side - there's one area to cross with a pretty wide tree across the creek, or up a little ways there are some rocks and smaller logs stacked across. With wriggly kiddos we didn't feel comfortable doing either so we continued up the creek to the waterfall where there was a very small area to see it and sit a bit. Definitely recommend this hike for earlier in the day as it got hot really fast. But really beautiful and sitting near the waterfall to rest before heading back was very refreshing.

A nice moderate hike in Reno. Beautiful waterfall at the end. It gets really hot during midday, would recommend going early or later in the evening to avoid the direct sunlight. There is little to no shade for most of the trail. It is only during the end that you’ll have tree coverage. You will need to cross some deep streams this time of year, so either prepare to get your feet wet or have trekking poles if you don’t have good balance. We were able to cross by walking on logs and rocks to avoid getting wet. I did see some trash a long the trail, please pick up after yourselves. Also, dogs can use this trail, we came across several not on leashes. Be aware of dog poop as well.

Love this trail - one of the best in Reno. However it is very narrow on steep spots and people are highly rude. We found ourselves constantly waiting for people to pass - going up and down the trail and nobody has ever been considerate and let us pass. Lot of trash - everything from cigarette butts to shell casings and beer bottles. It is steep - but gets easier above. We have encountered snakes quite often late in the afternoon. Once did see a baby rattler. Views are really nice and one of the few trails that make you forget you are minutes away from a moderately big city. Don't leave valuables in your car at the trail head - we have seen a lot of sketchy people hanging out in the parking lot that don't seem to be there for hiking whatsoever. Midday can be very hot - not much shade but late afternoon or evening, some shade in the shadow of the big rocks and trees. Some rock fall crossings, seem pretty stable. I have also seen some pretty good displays of wildflowers along the trail but it depends how wet the winter and spring have been.

I’d give it 5 stars except that it was crowded. Very easy trail to follow once you cross the creek that was flowing rapidly. Sweeping scenery and views but don’t expect much shade.Typical Nevada terrain which I find beautiful.

Really nice trail, easy to follow. Crossing the stream at the start was worth it! Diverse landscapes, beautiful views. Never far from a stream the whole way up!

This is a great trail, easy to follow. More difficult in the beginning than in the end. Both my Apple Watch and my boyfriends said that we hiked about 6.1 miles so it is a longer trail but the beautiful waterfall at the end and hiking along the river made this trail very nice!

Wasn’t satisfied with the waterfall at the end.

Beautiful hike with changing landscape.We didn't want to cross through the creek at the beginning so we went to the left and found some steps to a log marked with "x"s that crossed the creek. Nice views and landscape the whole way. Would not recommend on a a hot day or go early in the morning since most of the trail is in the sun then changes to forest. Saw a snake and a momma duck and her ducklings. Not an easy hike, appropriately rated as moderate. Waterfall did not disappoint.

First hiking experience in the Reno area and a great start to the many hikes to follow. The trail was clearly identified and easy to follow. Went earlier in the morning on 5/6 so there were fewer on the trail, but on the way back saw a much larger group of folks heading up the trail. Would recommend a morning start in the warmer months as the bulk of the trail is open without cover and you'll get some sun. On cooler or cloudy days a later start would be perfectly fine.

I think this trail is doable for all skill levels. I am from a much lower elevation and don't really hike, but did fine in the couple hours I was on the trail out and back. I will say if you have stability or balance issues you should opt for a walking stick as you do need to cross a couple streams and there are a couple sections where you aren't on a dirt path but climbing across some rocks. For your average person it shouldn't be a problem, but for older folks or those with limited mobility you'll need to slow down in these areas.

There is a path up and around the first creek in case you don't want to brave the rocks or the water is high (I crossed not knowing there was another path, got my hiking shoes wet but they dried quickly enough, on the way back, not as fun as the walk is short to the parking area). When you reach the log close to the falls if you aren't fond of heights (or your dog isn't), there is another path to the right that will require you cross the same stream but won't involve walking across a log over the stream.

The views were beautiful and the reward at the end was spectacular. The falls are truly a great place to stop and take in nature's beauty, and if you need to cool off, there's always that option too. There are some logs and rocks you can sit and have a drink or snack once you reach the falls. I would highly recommend this trail to anyone that wants to quickly get away from town and into nature. You'll see a decent number of people, but trade in buildings for mountains and the sound of the highway for the rushing stream below.

Stunning views, excellent workout, diverse landscape. This is one of my new favorite trails.

Just started hiking, and this was one of my 1st trails and I loved it!

fun hike.. 1st half overcast/dry.. way back light rain and cool temp. perfect day. sound of running water and birds all day and flowing falls at the top.. :-)

I’m new to Reno and also new to the AllTrails app; Hunter Creek Trail was my first hike since moving here with my dog and it was AWESOME. I’m an avid hiker and it checked all my hiking boxes for beauty and challenge and views and fun and variety of terrain. Basically, if you haven’t gotten to this one, DO IT TOMORROW.

That I would say was not a moderate hike. It had a beautiful waterfall at the end of the trail but to get there was very rough. If you are an avid hiker I imagine you may be fine but if you are a beginner or out of shape be prepared and bring lots of water. Took us about 3 and a half hours. We will plan to do it again though.

Lovely hike, lots of sun until 15 minutes from the top. It's a gradual climb all the way up. There is a way around the creek at the beginning of the trail if you don't want to get your shoes wet. A trail on the left climbs up and over and leads to a narrow bridge by a water tower. I laughed at the comment from Tony Pycko 2 spots down. My boyfriend and I were 2 of those "tourists with clean bright sneaks" hiking the trail on Sunday. We live in Reno :) Now I'm wondering how many people thought we were tourists! It's true that the trail is moderately trafficked when there's good weather, but not as bad as you might think. Still very worthwhile. Enjoy!

Great trail with beautiful view of Reno and the waterfall. Trail is mostly in the sun until
you get close to the waterfall so definitely wear sunscreen and bring water.

First hike since moving to Reno. NICE. So close to Reno it's like no travel time. Lots of tourists with clean bright sneakers. But almost no litter.
Good training trail for the back country hiker.

Gorgeous throughout, with the sound of water following you the whole way. The trail was dry (first week of May).