Hunter Creek Trail

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

Dont go right now, trail is washed out and creek is very thick d/t runoff

Winter Wonderland, galore!!! I just did this trail again today (February 2, 2017) despite it supposedly being "closed" for the season. There are no signs stating it is closed or not to proceed, and the parking lot is open. Though I was the only car in it, and passed absolutely nobody else all day. Only singing birds to keep me company! It usually takes me 2 1/2 hours out and back, but took just over 4 today, due to the conditions. But, WORTH it!! There is a fair amount of mud for the first 1/4th or so of the trail, but it then becomes snow. I had good snow/hiking boots, and that was enough, despite there being a lot of snow once you get into the forest. There are a few more small streams to cross than usual, and more care has to be taken in spots where the trail is even more narrow than it usually is due to erosion from the weather, but totally doable and so worth the semi-frozen waterfall at the top! Do it if you have the opportunity....what a sublime experience! See uploaded photos :-)

surfing

Rode some sick waves at the waterfall.

Very little shade until you get close to the falls. Can get crowded on weekends- would do on weekday or very early on a weekend. It's not easy- moderate at least.

Make it out here early in the morning. If you don't, you'll run into a ton of unleashed dogs and wild people (weekend). I'm sure it's a lot easier to deal with on a weekday. I did this one a couple weeks ago; very fun, and got in there early. A great hike to keep you and the pup with at least an elevated heartbeat. Leave before dawn, and you'll be fine...

I hiked this trail in the Thanksgiving afternoon, so the traffic was light. Upper part of the trail was frozen and slippery especially near the water, you definitely need to have a pair of good hiking boots and hiking pole. The trail was beautiful with all the snow so was the frozen waterfall.

I did this hike today with my border collie and we had a blast! It started snowing toward the middle of the hike and continued to snow fairly heavily throughout which made it a really magical hike! Unfortunately, the slippery snow made it so i couldn't cross the creek closest to the river but i still got to see the waterfall from the right side. I strongly recommend a good jacket for this hike. I run warm so I was mostly fine with my sweater... but I did see a few people turn around because they were too cold. I only noticed dog poop on the first half mile of the hike. I would rate this an easy to moderate hike. I also recommend shoes with good ankle support because there are some rocky/large gravely areas where I could easily see someone rolling their ankle. This is a hike I would do again!

An early morning must...heavily trafficked and narrow when there are 100 unleashed dogs. A good hike to keep the heart rate up for a couple hours.

Good hike overall. You feel the elevation climb the next day.
I am a bit worried about my dog obtaining some bacteria/virus after drinking from the creek along the way. We went on Saturday Nov 5th and now she has been having lots of diarrhea, anyone else with the same problem?

The views were amazing, The terrain very easy to moderate... One of the dirtiest trails Ive ever been on though. .. People need to learn how to pack out what they bring in... Lots of tp and bags of dog poop left right on the trail... I was most unimpressed