Hunter Creek Trail

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,210 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

Really great hike. Beautiful November fall day, felt almost like spring. Lots of people, some runners, young kids that did great and many dogs, all pretty sweet, especially Cali, a really cool Border Collie we met with Eric :) Total hike in/out was 6.1 miles. The waterfall was awesome, not at all easy for some of us to cross the creek at the waterfall but maybe next time. Looking forward to going again :)

recorded Hunter Creek Trail

This hike was moderate. Mostly dirt and loose rocks. We went first week in nov and it was dry, leaves mostly gone so the first 1.5-2 miles were in the heat with sage brush and not very pretty. Once in the trees and to the waterfall it was very pretty! Waterfall had blocks and patches of ice which were really cool!

Just did this yesterday. Its actually 6.5 miles roundtrip from the parking lot and elevation gain of about 1333 ft. (according to my Apple watch). It is a moderate hike as its uphill all the way up to the waterfall. Partly rocky in the first mile. No shade till you get into the tall pine trees which is the last 1/2 mile. Lots of hikers and many with dogs off leash. But everything was very pretty. Could hear the stream most of the ways and birds everywhere. The waterfall had ice at its base. Way down was easy as we had the sun on our back and it was all pretty much downhill.

Absolutely beautiful hike. All I heard was the water rustling in the creek bed and birds, so peaceful. The colors of the autumn trees were stunning, Ice forming in the creek beds ... On my way back (I went to the waterfall) i did encounter several people coming up with dogs, most were polite and would stand slightly off path (me too, if someone was jogging or if it’s easiest for me to pause and wait, I did) however, none of them on a leash... I’m an animal lover but I can see how this could cause many distress... I heard a few dog quarrels on my way back too. I’ll definitely visit here a few more times, so many little trails to take! Looking forward to spring to.

Trail great - 100% not dog friendly. It appears that everyone thinks their dogs are “friendly” and don’t think they should have leashes. We encountered a young lady who had three large dogs, no leashes who like all dogs - were aggressive towards mine - who returned the favor, who were leashes. To quote “I don’t have any leashes”. I was close to shooting her dogs if they attacked mine. If we had encountered her on parts of the trail someone would have fallen down the super steep drop and possibly suffered severe injuries or even died. Then there was the gentleman with obvious mental issues and his dog “bear” refused to leash him, because he was friendly- nope, he actually rushed and grabbed my sleeve as I was covering my dog to keep them from fighting. It almost turned into a physical encounter between us... There are places in which passing each other is impossible unless u are inches apart - dogs, strange ones, cannot do this unless they are highly trained. I know this as I spent many years as a K9 Officer, trainer, handler and supervisor of the unit... Trust me - think twice about bringing your pups...

Very scenic trail, very moderate hike with a 1200' incline. Some areas with loose rocks but very negotiable. Good workout. Quite a few people on the trail but not overly crowded. Hiked on a Tuesday afternoon, sunny and warm, no shade for first 2.5 miles of the trail.

this trail is worth doing!!! beautiful views from high desert to pines. I would go early and avoid the trail in the middle of the day if you can't be exposed to sun and heat for long periods of time. it took us 1 hour 40 minutes to reach the falls which is all up. the only downside to this trail is people not cleaning up after their dogs.

Awesome trail just outside of the heart of the city, yet feels as remote as it gets. I hiked it in mid October, early on a Saturday morning and didn’t see anyone on the trail until I was close to done around 9am. Highly reccomend the fall for time of year to hike with the aspens turned yellow. Trail was in good condition and easy to follow. Lots of variety on the trail. Will be back next trip to Reno.

beautiful place I like .and walking was a wonderful experience

Beautiful fall hike with yellow aspen leaves blowing in the wind. Love it and will come back again.

Went on a Saturday morning. Was somewhat crowded. Trail had a few narrow areas. Otherwise a great trail!

Great hike, lots of rocks and a few scrambles. I would recommend taking lots of water since most of the trail is exposed until the final leg of the trail. The final few feet of the trail require crossing a log over the little stream, but the view for the waterfall is worth it.

Great for a night hike.

Beautiful fall hike, with nice views up the canyon, reasonably well-maintained trail with some rocky scramble, and surprisingly full creek. The aspen and other trees are changing, so some nice color now that will get better in the next couple of weeks!

Amazing views. Challenging terrain. watch your step

This was a gorgeous hike for a cool fall day with some cloud cover. I wouldn't try it in summer, as a heat wimp. I took my dog and he went bananas he had so much fun. We saw about a dozen others over the course of 3 1/2 hours, everyone was friendly and all the dogs were too. He's young so we didn't make it to the end, but we'll try again for sure. Definitely bring snacks, water, sunglasses, and really good hiking boots as there's a few really rocky parts and a couple spots where you'll hop over water.

Great hike especially in the cooler months.

Awesome hike close to Reno!

Just a great and beautiful hike. The creek and fall were superb. A little cool and windy on top near the fall. The hike RT was 6.4 miles with an elevation at the falls about 6200. AT may show more miles than I’ve indicated but it’s due to me not turning off my GPS driving back. Have fun!

Very happy with the new bridge installed over the creek at the trailhead. Extreme sun exposure for the first ~2 miles and a few scramble-y areas making this trail rather treacherous for young children. We usually have to turn around long before the end because we go so slow with our 6 year old, increasing sun exposure and draining resources. Great intermediate hike for adults. Better at the end of summer into fall when temperatures are not as harsh. Lots of wildlife, including a rattlesnake, so tread carefully.

Trail is a one lane trail most of the way. Lots of foot traffic. Abasol beautiful all the way and the contrast between desert and forest is incredible and very worth it. Hikers were friendly mostly. Some not great with trail etiquette but overall id recommend the hike.

we couldn't complete the hike as it was too hot. I got dehydrated after an hours trek and there was no shade throughout the trail. However there these secret spots where you can see the water flow, if you love water then you can spend sometime there. since we returned halfway through we enjoyed at the spot. we plan to go again to see the waterfalls.