Hobart Creek Reservoir Trail (via Carson City)

Hobart Creek Reservoir Trail (via Carson City) is a 9.9 mile out and back trail located near Carson City, Nevada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and bird watching and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,555 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is a service road. Only a few hikers and horses out there. Uphill climb, downhill climb with a small break in between. Beautiful views, nice lake/campground at the top.

The first 4 and last 4 are leg burners, but everything in-between more than made up for it. The lake was beautiful and still. Went on to Reed House and circled back around Tank Trail. Made for a wonderful Day and I definitely will be doing Hobart again.

Trail was dry the whole way, just some patches of snow left in the woods. Plop toilet and bear boxes at the campground by the lake. Not sure why it’s rated for “very experienced hikers only” as it’s a very easy to follow, drivable road- perhaps because it is such a climb. It was a leg burner for sure. Right now there’s a running stream at the bottom, and of course the lake at the top, but not too much water for dogs in the middle with limited shade. Good views, flowers are starting to pop. Enjoy!

This has great views and follows the road all the way up. It was quite the steady climb with a long flat stretch about half way up. There were some patches of snow, but not bad. we chose to go to the top of Peak #2608. Awesome!

my girlfriend and i frequently hike the trail and camp over night always a nice get away! the hike isn't easy pack light but bright enough water!

Sat Sep 01 2018

8-AUG-2018 Great day Hike! yes the first 2 miles or so are tough, but take periodic breaks every 15 minutes or so and you'll make it. The trail levels out around 2.5 miles and the rest is really easy going. It took me 2 hours and 1 minute to reach the Resovior, and an hour and 30 minutes to get back without any stops. Overall a very fun hike, I couldn't see many views due to all the smoke but what I saw was nice.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Great uphill rather tough. Beware if vehicles and horses. Great views

Sat Mar 31 2018

We didn’t quite make it to the reservoir as we turned back due to snow a little past the water tanks. The views were beautiful out to the Carson Valley below. It is a steady climb (but I’m 70) and we determined to come back in a few weeks. This would NOT be a good summer hike - I’d drive up a different route. But there is plenty of water for the dogs in a creek most of the way. Can’t wait to try it again in the Spring and Fall and see the lake and fish.

Sun Nov 12 2017

I did this trail the last weekend of October. The fall foliage was absolutely beautiful as were the views. The fall temperatures make this hike much more pleasant than in the summer. This is not a trail to do when you are out of shape or feeling less than energetic. No, you can not drive and the label of "Hard" should be noted, as it is.

Mon Sep 04 2017

I thought we could drive most of the way up, not the case. This trail was not enjoyable at all. it just kept going up and was even rougher on the toes coming down. it was hot and we ran out of water. this trail was even rough on my 1 year old lab. I would never do this hike again. wish we could have seen the lake.

Mon Aug 21 2017

Great little find with good fishing, despite the restrictions. If camping, do utilize the bear boxes- we were lucky enough to see one bear amble through the campground. The climb in is steep, but once there you've got picnic tables, pit toilets, ample water sources (do filter), and bear boxes,making this a nice goal for newer backpackers.

Wed Aug 16 2017

This is a difficult trail. Bring a hat and a lot of water. One of those trails you have to be in shape for. Great views and you won't see a lot of people for sure.

Mon Jul 03 2017

Definetly a CHALLENGE! Worth every bit of struggle, for the view!

Mon Jul 03 2017

Super brutal heat and sun for this hike today. I ran out of water about a mile from the car on the return trip. My fault for not bringing a filter as there are small creeks all along the way. The lake is amazing! Something you have to see to appreciate.

Sun Jun 18 2017

My husband and I took the trail today all the way to the lake and the roads are clear as well as gorgeous! The lake is beautiful and unspoiled. Also a clean restroom at the lake. Although very tough and uphill all the way for 5 miles it was worth the effort. Will make this a regular for us!

Sat May 27 2017

On Memorial Day Friday the last mile or so was completely covered with snow, but we made it to the lake just fine. 80% sheet of ice. Cant wait to come back when there is a little more land. Beautiful hike. 2:40 up and 2:15 back to Lakeview With 30# packs. 41 species of bird with 3 unidentified

Mon Apr 03 2017

it is one of my favorites

Sun Sep 11 2016

Approached from the carson city trail head. Amazing views at times, which is completely worth the trip. It has incline for the majority of the trip, which shouldn't be taken lightly! Bring lots of water and a walking stick! Hobart reservoir is quit nice, with multiple areas to fish from (trout). Would recommend to any traveller looking for a decent challenge and serenity.

Tue Jul 12 2016

Beautiful, with many awesome views and amazing amounts of nature, but takes a good amount of time and you must come prepared. Gets extremely isolated and cell service is spotty, certainly a trail that requires experience and a group. But very fun and worth the time if you prepare properly

Fri Oct 23 2015

From the comments here I see all of them went from the Carson city side. You can also get there from Spooner lake going to Marlette lake then onto Hobart reservoir. It is about an 18 mile hike round trip.

Mon Jul 20 2015

You can start at the bottom of the canyon and enjoy the 6 mile climb or drive most of the way with a high clearance, 4-wheel drive and hike the last bit. You'll enjoy beautiful views.

Sat Aug 30 2014

The walk in that Michale Perine says is 1.5 miles is actually 1/4 mile. So says the sign near the locked gate. The walk out is steep and will take your breath away. After you climb it you could believe that it is further

Sun Mar 30 2014

I went the way the previous commentator went which was through Lakeview and it was a nose to the grindstone 4-5 hour hike, I had my 15-20lbs pack, and sleeping bag because I was staying a couple days. I brought water purifying tablets for when I got there and drank about a gallon and a half of water just getting there. Spectacular views the whole way up and the lake is immaculate for fishing, I would recommend this trail to anyone as long as you are in the right kind of shape for it.

Mon Mar 17 2014

There is another route into Hobart Reservoir from the Carson City side besides Ash Canyon. In the Lakeview area, there is a trailhead at the Lakeview Gate. It is 4.9 miles up a gated dirt road that follows the south end of Musgrove Creek. It enters Lake Tahoe State Park at the 3.4 mile point. There is an exhibit along the road where an old sawmill used to stand. The road intersects the Ash Canyon route at the head of the pass where the road drops down to the reservoir.

Fri Jul 15 2011

Unless you are a masochist, there is no reason to hike this entire trail. I drove to within 1.5 miles of the reservoir in my Toyota Highlander. The first 4 miles is dry, dusty and boring (when not looking over a drop-off). Hobart, however, is a little jewel of a lake, nestled into a bowl of alpine forest. It is stocked with brook, lahontan, and tiger trout. Start this trek on Ash Canyon Road in Carson City. Drive to the end of the pavement where there is a locked gate. Turn right onto Wellington W and proceed about 1000 feet to an unnamed road on the left, which immediately turns to dirt. It goes up between two large water tanks. Ash Canyon is graded off each year by Carson City Parks and Open Spaces. However, I did lightly scrape bottom at a couple of the groomed ravines that occasionally cross the road. It is wide enough for an SUV or pickup, but just barely. The drop-offs can be daunting for the inexperienced. Do not attempt this without 4-wheel drive. I spoke with Ann Bollinger at Carson City Parks to ensure that the road was open and passable. There are a number of "landings" along the way, which I assume were cut by the forest department as staging areas for the fire the occurred a few years back. There is a locked gate at the top and a parking area with a sign. See photo. From the gate, it is about 1.5 miles, all downhill, to the reservoir. Bring a fishing poll - artificial lures with single, barbless hooks. Check out my photos. This is a beautiful little lake.