Hidden Valley County Park Trail

Hidden Valley County Park Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice hike for being in town. Started from the northern side of the park. The grade was a little steep in places and the dirt was loose and slide-y which made coming back downhill tricky. On the whole though, the hike was worth it since at times I didn't feel like I was still in town.

There are more trails then are shown here.

Took the south route up and the center route down . How in God’s name someone got a Jeep SUV near the top of the south route is beyond me!! The south route is pretty much washed out but a beautiful hike. The center downhill is very steep in places and not we’ll defined in several areas. A strenuous but enjoyable hike with great views of the valley.

Fantastic views of Reno. Quiet and exciting. It’s a great workout.

The front end of this trail was awesome...I definitely consider this trail moderate, there were some steep areas. The back side seems a little more challenging to navigate. I was trying to follow another hikers path, but the trail is not marked and not clear, ended up getting lost for a few and had to backtrack twice! All part of hiking though, so I would still go back! Also there was a lot of loose gravel on the down side. I had hiking boots on, with good tread and still had some “almost fall on your butt” moments, so be ready for that! Overall good trail with awesome views of the city! Also saw a wild horse!

I took the north loop with my dog. There are places very steep and difficult to cross with my dog. It is not an easy trail.
Max lookout spot was gorgeous. RIP Max.

simple, and easy. i do this trail on my lazy days lol.

Get on the loop (indicated w/ black ants on the map) heading south. Continue southward beyond the loop, looking east for a green horse gate, then follow a narrow, steep, easily identifiable trail to the summit of Hidden Valley peak for an elevation gain of ~1500' (6000' alt). At times very steep, with rock scrambling to the summit. Not a single soul encountered. Difficulty: Moderate to Strenuous. Time: less than 3hrs

The trick to hidden valley is straying from the normal trails. Go through the horse gates, and explore. Within hidden valley you'll find an SUV that has been there for probably 30 years. Up on one of the hills you'll find a giant rock ring along with fantastic views of Reno. To get to both of these you'll gain elevation(a lot of elevation with the rock ring), but it's my favorite hike around here.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The lower park trails are pretty well marked, but very flat and boring. If you're in decent shape, you have to go through the horse gate and up into the hills to appreciate this area. Once you go through the gate, the signs disappear, so you're on your own. The grades are pretty tough, partially because they're mostly loose gravel. I'd give it three stars, but the views from up in the hills are pretty amazing. Almost zero shade, so be prepared on hot days. Recommend insect spray for the biting flies in the warm months.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great place to hike once you get up above the lower area. Also a great place to just sit and think looking out over the Reno valley.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Is good

Monday, June 13, 2016

This hike was very hard to start and many parts of the trail were very steep with a lot of loose gravel. I'm in shape, even fit, and I was sore and tired when I was done hiking today. The trail is not marked at all, which is kind of frustrating, but I had great internet service throughout so I pulled up this app multiple times to see where I was. There are a lot of trails throughout so it's easy to switch from one to the other. The views are amazing and the hike is worth it, but it's definitely a challenge.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Good leg workout on the steep climbs. Not superhard but with a good pace, it will be challenging.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Many trails to choose from, great views of Reno.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Interesting hike. Very exposed and hot during summer/mid day. Hiked up into the hills instead of staying around the park. Panoramic views of Reno and the surrounding valleys

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Decided not to do the park loop and instead follow the trails up. Amazing views of almost all of Reno and up into the valleys. About a 4 mile hike round trip. A lot of loose rock at points but easy enough to get through.

Monday, October 06, 2014

I started hiking along the trail but then I decided to go up the mountain it turned into about a 6 mile hike it was fun

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Not as long or with enough hills as I would have liked, but it was mostly peaceful and a pretty easy hike.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

There were just a bunch of random trails so I picked one and it ended up being about a mile. I was hoping for a longer trail. Also, it was really flat. It would have been nice if there were signs telling what's what. Or maybe I just didn't see them. Watch out for snakes.