Hidden Valley County Park Trail

Hidden Valley County Park Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Reno, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful steep hike starting on the North end. Saw a good number of wild horses. Trail is not marked well and I got off the trail halfway through with an hour of daylight left. An atv picked me up and brought me back. My phone battery was getting low or I would have stayed on the app map better. Nice to be able to have a strenuous hike in December with very little snow!

*steep initial climb up, worth the effort!
*wonderful views all around the valley!
*we were here late December, and had the trails to ourselves....
*trekking poles came in handy!
*no water for the dogs, bring some.
*quick getaway near reno, if time is an element.
*gorgeous vistas!
*there is a nice trail that goes up to peak 6079, which is also a geocache location_great extension when you have time with wonderful views!

Great resource if you like hiking!

This trail can be very unforgiving even for an experienced hiker, the terrain changes a lot due to horses and the rocky terrain in general, leaving some spots unpredictable. Definitely travel with caution up and down. The views are amazing, negative energy and stress are instantly burned off, having time to reflect and embrace nature at the top is the reason I keep going back.

Beginning and end were very steep, but once you make it to the crest you’re in for a treat. Landscapes vary and there are in fact many areas to rest in the shade. Because of the difficult in and out, I would only bring an experienced hiker with me who knows how to traverse steep grades and slip “safely” (falling forward, rather than back). There’s also a moving tribute to a beloved dog and a nice lookout bench on the north side.

My pup & I took the trail clockwise. Wanted to get the steepest portion out of the way. I do feel like it was a good choice- going down the north side would have been unforgiving. However, the descending on the south side was pretty washed out with some decent exposure. At times I wish I had trekking poles- would definitely consider this hike moderate to advanced in its current condition. Also, trail was not well marked... when you get to the top there are many 4x4 trails you could accidentally take. Be sure to bring some sort of map with you to ensure you stay enroute. Happy hiking (:

Love this trail I live close so it’s great

Great views both east and west and there were several groups of wild horses. However, coming back down, the trail was prohibitively loose and slippery. Every step down was taken in constant worry of falling. The terrible last 1/3 of the trail made me wish I had chosen any other hike.

its rated as a mountain biking trail, lease be aware that you have to have and above average riding skill.

Definitely felt out of the city with amazing views, took the South route but didn’t make it to the peak due to the trail being washed out.

Loved this trail! Went with four dogs, they loved it as well. We only saw one other group of people hiking the entire trail. The beginning was all up hill but totally worth it when you get to the top.

great city trail, steep, and quiet once you venture in and up. Not much shade.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Nice hike for being in town. Started from the northern side of the park. The grade was a little steep in places and the dirt was loose and slide-y which made coming back downhill tricky. On the whole though, the hike was worth it since at times I didn't feel like I was still in town.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

There are more trails then are shown here.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Took the south route up and the center route down . How in God’s name someone got a Jeep SUV near the top of the south route is beyond me!! The south route is pretty much washed out but a beautiful hike. The center downhill is very steep in places and not we’ll defined in several areas. A strenuous but enjoyable hike with great views of the valley.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Fantastic views of Reno. Quiet and exciting. It’s a great workout.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

The front end of this trail was awesome...I definitely consider this trail moderate, there were some steep areas. The back side seems a little more challenging to navigate. I was trying to follow another hikers path, but the trail is not marked and not clear, ended up getting lost for a few and had to backtrack twice! All part of hiking though, so I would still go back! Also there was a lot of loose gravel on the down side. I had hiking boots on, with good tread and still had some “almost fall on your butt” moments, so be ready for that! Overall good trail with awesome views of the city! Also saw a wild horse!

Monday, October 23, 2017

I took the north loop with my dog. There are places very steep and difficult to cross with my dog. It is not an easy trail.
Max lookout spot was gorgeous. RIP Max.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

simple, and easy. i do this trail on my lazy days lol.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Get on the loop (indicated w/ black ants on the map) heading south. Continue southward beyond the loop, looking east for a green horse gate, then follow a narrow, steep, easily identifiable trail to the summit of Hidden Valley peak for an elevation gain of ~1500' (6000' alt). At times very steep, with rock scrambling to the summit. Not a single soul encountered. Difficulty: Moderate to Strenuous. Time: less than 3hrs

Saturday, September 02, 2017

The trick to hidden valley is straying from the normal trails. Go through the horse gates, and explore. Within hidden valley you'll find an SUV that has been there for probably 30 years. Up on one of the hills you'll find a giant rock ring along with fantastic views of Reno. To get to both of these you'll gain elevation(a lot of elevation with the rock ring), but it's my favorite hike around here.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The lower park trails are pretty well marked, but very flat and boring. If you're in decent shape, you have to go through the horse gate and up into the hills to appreciate this area. Once you go through the gate, the signs disappear, so you're on your own. The grades are pretty tough, partially because they're mostly loose gravel. I'd give it three stars, but the views from up in the hills are pretty amazing. Almost zero shade, so be prepared on hot days. Recommend insect spray for the biting flies in the warm months.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great place to hike once you get up above the lower area. Also a great place to just sit and think looking out over the Reno valley.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Is good

Monday, June 13, 2016

This hike was very hard to start and many parts of the trail were very steep with a lot of loose gravel. I'm in shape, even fit, and I was sore and tired when I was done hiking today. The trail is not marked at all, which is kind of frustrating, but I had great internet service throughout so I pulled up this app multiple times to see where I was. There are a lot of trails throughout so it's easy to switch from one to the other. The views are amazing and the hike is worth it, but it's definitely a challenge.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Good leg workout on the steep climbs. Not superhard but with a good pace, it will be challenging.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Many trails to choose from, great views of Reno.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Interesting hike. Very exposed and hot during summer/mid day. Hiked up into the hills instead of staying around the park. Panoramic views of Reno and the surrounding valleys

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Decided not to do the park loop and instead follow the trails up. Amazing views of almost all of Reno and up into the valleys. About a 4 mile hike round trip. A lot of loose rock at points but easy enough to get through.

Monday, October 06, 2014

I started hiking along the trail but then I decided to go up the mountain it turned into about a 6 mile hike it was fun