Hidden Forest Trail

Hidden Forest Trail is a 10.2 mile out and back trail located near Indian Springs, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,020 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

I must say absolutely worth the hike. A nice little gem in the middle of nowhere. Something different. Will definitely return for a backpacking weekend and stay in the cabin. Tons of flies that were very annoying and wasps covering the water. The main issue I had was the distance. This site states it is 10.2 Miles which was incorrect. Not sure where they are marking there start and end points but on my map is shows 13 miles both totals. Just an FYI for hikers.

Awesome hike! Spring was running, about 1 liter per minute as of 8/4/2019

I’ve hiked this 3 out of the last 4 or 5 summers and it never gets old. The only drawback is the road getting there but that keeps people away, which can be a good thing. The main trail up is all gravel which is well documented but it’s a very low incline and elevation isn’t an issue. It’s a real treasure in the desert.

great trail the spring was running well as of 07/05/2019 the water needs to be filtered if you drink it I had the water filtered and it was awesome the gravel doesn't really go away it definitely is the only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars other than that the hike is amazing a buddy and I did it in about 3.5 hrs with 30 pound packs on we stayed the night it got very cold at night so if you plan on staying bring warms clothes

Second time on this trail, I forgot how difficult the loose gravel is and there is a lot of it. About 4 miles of the 5 up to the cabin is gravel with the first 2 miles being the worst. Beautiful, and intense hike.

And

Awesome hike! A group of us took our kids with us so that was interesting! We all ended up carrying our kids stuff as they were getting tired on the way up, but once we made it to the cabin, it was play time and we made memories of a lifetime! Cool historic little cabin! Have done this hike a couple of times and hope to go again!!

From open desert to bird calls echoing through a pine forest - that's four stars right there. But 70 degrees at the trail head and 70 degrees at the cabin (if the thermometer at the cabin is to be believed), that kind of dumb luck is always worth an extra star. My GPS had it at 5.3 miles to the cabin and another 0.2 to the spring up the hill. It should be noted that the trail definitely levels out somewhat when you get into the Ponderosa pines after four miles, so the last 1.3 miles to the cabin is just a walk in the woods. I planned six hours for the hike - 3.5 up and 2.5 back - which was just about right. I needed every bit of the three liters of water that I carried, although the spring was running nicely. You just can't count on that. It was 50 minutes from US 95 to the trail head with high clearance 4WD. And just for kicks, the sun was setting that last mile down to the trail head - 6 stars?

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

I wanted to give this trek a four star review but the 17.3 mile, rough/bumpy road to get there stole a star from the rating (about 35-40 minutes). At first, I didn't understand why so many reviews complained about the loose gravel but after about mile 4...you REALLY start to hate the soft gravel! ha-ha ...going up kicked my butt - not a terribly steep inclined but a very steady uphill climb the entire way. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to reach the cabin. I only dropped pack twice for a breaks. The way down only took me 1 hour and 55 minutes...ha-ha do the math! The way up is not easy. Not to mention, I always pack way too much crap. I didn't need almost any of it. The cabin has damn near everything except food. It even had sleeping bags! Not that I'd ever use one! ha...Overall, it's definitely worth doing at least once. It's excellent for people prepping to do Havasupai or who are new to backpacking. We only stayed one night but I wish we would have stayed two. I would have liked to continue onto the peak the following day. The small "drip" of a water source was nice even though it didn't even create a puddle. If it were not present I would give this hike a one star review because one would have to pack in SO much water - it just wouldn't be worth that. Or I would only do it as a day hike if there were no water, anyway. PS. GPS told us it was 5.5 up and the same for the way back. I don't think 5.1 miles one way is accurate.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Beautiful hike and really good for dogs and if you’re looking for some isolation. The gravel is really killer, especially on the way down.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

first time overnight backpacking! its was hard but we made it. would do it again. cheers

Friday, June 09, 2017

June 9, 2017 - I just got back from spending two days at the cabin. The trail to the cabin is amazing although quite rugged with loose gravel from 1" to 5" almost the whole way. Wear good hiking boots to protect your feet and ankles. The change in scenery from the desert floor to the cabin at 8000 feet is amazing. You start out in wide open desert littered with Joshua trees and end up in a forest with towering Ponderosa pines. There was a steady flow of water from the water pipe in front of the cabin. The cabin was in good shape and had lots of extra supplies, but it could use a fly swatter and some fly paper. The log books (journals) were filled so if you want to leave a message for future hikers bring another journal. It was 92 degrees at the trail head and 85 at the cabin, and 50 degrees in the morning.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I've hiked it about six times now, in every type of weather you could see up there (the last one needed snowshoes) and I've only not stayed in the cabin once. The trail is rough at first, but if you're an experienced hiker you can probably complete it in around 3 hours. This time of year you must bring a LOT of water. Overall it is a really great hike to do for a day, or a good practice hike for people wanting to get into overnight backpacking.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Beware: The hike in will whip your butt. A steady incline of 2,000 feet for the entire hike up. My girlfriend and I started late afternoon and arrived right at dark, about 4 hours later. A lot of the initial couple of miles went from a mix of pea gravel to Rubik's cube sized washes. Bring a gallon of water AT LEAST. The spring was running today, but be prepared in case it dries out. Also, make sure you consume a lot of calories before the hike and bring calorie-dense trail snacks. It can be a very taxing hike if you're backpacking, especially when you're hiking in 95 degrees. Once you arrive, it makes it all so worthwhile. I loved it. Will definitely return. Additional note: you'll drive about 18-19 miles on a dirt road so you'll definitely want some decent clearance on your vehicle, driving in.

Monday, May 29, 2017

One of my favorite backpacking trails right outside of Vegas. The dirt road getting to the trailhead is very rocky. I drove the 16 miles in an Altima which was probably not the best decision and I will not do that again. Besides the road leading up to the trail, the trail is amazing. The incline stays constant traveling to the cabin (give yourself 3-4 hours to complete), but the hike back to the parking lot is a piece of cake. Did this hike late May and there was still water in the spring. Have fun!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great hike. Definitely camping it next time

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Awesome trail to ride! our dirt bikes did just fine through the terrain. It would've been nice to have an electric start and maybe a rekluse clutch definitely some technical spots. I would recommend this trail to all riders everywhere. The weather and cabin were beautiful and it only took a few hours to do the whole ride. Overall it was a great ride, enjoy bros

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Beautiful! Make sure you leave to make the hike about 5am, and on a weekday to avoid hikers at the cabin if you want to sleep in the cabin. Water is fresh from the spring, carve your name in the cabin if you so desire. The cabin is stocked for others to enjoy, but only use what you need and leave what you like for the next upcoming traveler. Motto ' Pass it forward'. Cougar sightings, so please be careful. Have a weapon and best to be with a group. Enjoy!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Hiked it at the end of september. Cabin was well stocked with necessities. Spring was trickling with water which we filtered and used for cooking. Plenty of places to pitch tents or hang hammocks around the cabin. Beautiful ponderosa pines everywhere around the cabin area. A great hike that starts in the desert and ends in a pine forest. No fires allowed when we went but there is a wood burning stove in the cabin. At least half of the hike is in a wash so the climb is a bit strenuous especially if you are carrying a lot of weight. I would not rely on the water in summer months although it was flowing at about .5L/min while we were there.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Great hike and escape from the bustling life of Las Vegas.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Wonderful. Pack light, unless you will stay for a few days. You will not reach the cabin until 4-5 hours of hiking. Worth it though! Fresh water from the mountain trickles down through a pipe made just for all.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Difficult hike for beginners, especially when carrying too much gear.. Camped near cabin which seemed like we would never reach.. Overall, great experiance but it'll probably be a long time before I do that again..

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Longer than most maps project. Our GPS logged 7.1mi each way from trailhead to cabin. Water was running and cabin was in good shape.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The trail is moderate due to the course gravel and rocks that line most of this trail. We spent the night near the cabin and spring.

Monday, August 25, 2014

The starting point on the map is in a wrong place... The rough road finish on the top of the wash, just when start the canyon. A wonderful trail beginning in a desertic canyon, then slowly, the forest appear, more and more thick, till the cabin. Nice place for backpacking with just the sky, the forest and the mountains around... No water at all all along the trail except some rescue reserves hidden in some trees and some drops after rain on the cabin fountain. Also, no found water by following the black hose on the left side of the canyon till the ridge... A beautiful trail to do with a lot of water in hot period !