2020 feet

cave

I wanted to give this trek a four star review but the 17.3 mile, rough/bumpy road to get there stole a star from the rating (about 35-40 minutes). At first, I didn't understand why so many reviews complained about the loose gravel but after about mile 4...you REALLY start to hate the soft gravel!
ha-ha ...going up kicked my butt - not a terribly steep inclined but a very steady uphill climb the entire way. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to reach the cabin. I only dropped pack twice for a breaks. The way down only took me 1 hour and 55 minutes...ha-ha do the math! The way up is not easy. Not to mention, I always pack way too much crap. I didn't need almost any of it. The cabin has damn near everything except food. It even had sleeping bags! Not that I'd ever use one! ha...Overall, it's definitely worth doing at least once. It's excellent for people prepping to do Havasupai or who are new to backpacking. We only stayed one night but I wish we would have stayed two. I would have liked to continue onto the peak the following day. The small "drip" of a water source was nice even though it didn't even create a puddle. If it were not present I would give this hike a one star review because one would have to pack in SO much water - it just wouldn't be worth that. Or I would only do it as a day hike if there were no water, anyway. PS. GPS told us it was 5.5 up and the same for the way back. I don't think 5.1 miles one way is accurate.