Grimes Point Archaeological Area Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(46)
Fallon, Nevada

Grimes Point Archaeological Area Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fallon, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 196 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Not as cool as the hidden caves next door but still a really nice place to walk around. Very kid friendly

beautiful views

Great trail, well marked. Easy to moderate and took about 1.5 hours to do Grimes Point and Hidden Cave. Would recommend!

Easy to follow out-and-back trail. Well marked. Interesting geology and history. Trail is somewhat rocky, but not difficult. Sign says it's 2 miles round trip, but I clocked out at significantly less even with detours. Walked to the overlook twice and around the petroglyph trail twice to get 4 miles in. Nice vistas from the overlook and surrounding hills.

its a nice running trail if you're a smidge more than beginner. I'm travelling for work from out of state so the elevation and dry climate really threw me off. its a bit rocky but not bad at all if you're walking or are just.. less clumsy than i am. :)

Cool archaeological site. The easy hike through the petroglyphs were fascinating. There is also a guided tour into the ancient cave, lead by Dr. Hal Starratt and colleagues of Western Nevada College that describes in full detail the history and artifacts. The lake and hiking areas are a bit rocky but nothing intense. The climb uphill into the cave is moderate, and the inside of the cave is musty, damp and has a very strong scent of ammonia. I brought my teenager and she enjoyed it. The hike can be a little rough for children and elderly so take your time, arrive early for the tour. Can become crowded. I highly recommend the cave tour in the Spring.

Great little trail. Best in the Fallon area.

Sat May 18 2019

Nice short trail in high desert. Great views on hill top

Sun Mar 10 2019

We arrived shortly after 2-3 inches of snow accumulated on the trail. Fortunately, the trail was very well marked with rocks along the edges and following the trail was no problem. There is a sign shortly after starting that states that the trail is 2 miles out and back. The AllTrails recorder showed quite a bit shorter. I wouldn't worry about the lack of shade on the trail, it really isn't very long.

Sun Feb 24 2019

Nice hike Lots of rocks on the trail Great view at the top Lots of trails to hike as far as you want. Not fun to do in the summer. No shade.

Tue May 30 2017

very relaxing, nice hills, decent amount of difficulty without wearing you down. my dog loves it. we've been out 3 times, taking different paths each time. my 2 year old son is also able to walk some parts of the path. But mind your step if taking little ones or clumsy (like me), it's easy to hurt an ankle out there.

Tue May 16 2017

Very interesting Petroglyphs and you can see the remnants of the Lahontan shoreline on the hills.

Mon Feb 20 2017

Nice short track. We started up at the northern parking area where the hidden cave track begins and turned this into a 3mi scramble. Opting for summit crests to maximize elevation changes. Our dogs were offleash like every other dog out there. My hiking partner's heavier dog did split a paw pad, it is certainly rocky and I would advise you take that into consideration before taking your fur-family members out there. Most recent photos in the gallery (as of 20FEB) show views and conditions as of 18FEB.

Tue Jul 19 2016

In Fallon for work and this trail is just what I needed to get away and enjoy nature. Started at the main entrance but veered to the right to follow the other trail. It's about 1.5 miles mostly uphill. It's gradual and would be moderate walking but difficult running which is what I was attempting to do. The trails takes you to the top of some peaks that overlook NAS Fallon and you get so see the jets takeoff and land. Continue to follow the trail and it's about .5 miles downhill to the hidden cave. From the cave, I took to dirt road back home for 5 miles total loop. Bring a camelback!

Sat Mar 05 2016

The trail is kind of hard to see in the beginning but very easy to spot where you came from. Ended up taking the long route and starting from the main entrance of trail and coming out next to the hidden cave. It's a nice spot and has a nice bench at the end for you to sit and look out on the dried lake bed. The hike was in estimation would be close to 7 miles. But very nice and the dogs had a great time.

Thu Jan 28 2016

I like this trail. I went there last weekend and this morning and going there again in 3 days. lol it's close to where I live and quiet, gives my 2 dogs and myself a good exercise! I also like the view it's something new and almost breath taking to me since I grow up in Tokyo. I haven't tried the hidden cave area yet but definitely will! 家の近所なので、犬の散歩兼エクササイズでよく行きます。盆地の中のトレイルを登り切ると荒野が見渡せます。私のような初心者向けです!

Wed Oct 09 2013

Amazing petroglyphs and it's an important cultural spot for the Paiute Indians of Nevada. It's a simple interpretive trail and the hike is easy. if you appreciate rock art it's hard to beat this site in both ease of access and in quality of petroglyphs.

Fri Aug 02 2013

Stopped here in 2006. Interesting place. It's kind of surreal to imagine ancient man living here when you have navy jets flying overhead. It's right across from the navy flight school.

Fri Jul 27 2012

Awesome place if you go to the hidden cave area. Lots of tufa overhangs to check out.

Fri Jul 08 2011

Nice petrogliphs, hike to the top of the mountain for some nice views. Little wildlife to be seen, can be very hot is summer, take precautions. nice stop to stretch legs, other that that, no reason to stop if you have seen other archaelogical areas in Nevada. This one is easy to find, thats about all.