Griffith Peak via South Loop Trail is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,451 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Strenuous 3,100' climb with spectacular 360 deg. view at peak (Calif to Ariz) You begin to climb from your first step onto this trail, but you hike through some of the most lush, forested areas in these mountains. Whether you marvel at the rugged cliffs, wonder at the caves and it's possible users, listen to the water rushing over the rocky ledges back in the canyons; or just revel in the colors of wildflowers & grasses at your feet, the smell of pines, or the sounds of birds, butterflies, and the wind rustling through the aspens; every aching muscle will be worth it on the South Loop Trail. This is the easiest route to Mt. Charleston Peak (8 1/2 miles), and "just" reaching the crest of the ridge (4 miles up) and the lush meadows area (1/2 mile further) is a great sense of accomplishment and joy. This is a perfectly acceptable trail for seasoned and conditioned horses (only a few rocky, narrow spots), but there is no water along this route so you'll have to pack plenty. Harris Springs route is easier but not prettier. Sign in book at the peak

There is still a bit of snow on the trail, but it is manageable. I definitely recommend this hike. The views are great throughout.

We were only able to make it about 3 miles before the snow on the switchbacks got a little too sketchy for our liking. But it was an absolutely beautiful 6 mile out-and-back hike otherwise. We’ll try for the peak again in a few weeks.

Challenging trail but incredible views! Went most of the way but couldn’t make it to the top due to the snow. Will go in a few months once the snow has melted!

icy

Great trail, but not quite the right season. We made it 3/4 the way up the switchbacks and lost the trail in the snow. We’ll try it again in a month

My most challenging hike to date!

If you enjoy hikes that will test your fitness and reward you with a great view, then this is the hike for you. We hiked Griffith Peak via the South Loop. The trailhead starts at the Cathedral Rock parking and picnic area. Just follow the signs and the well-marked trail. Couple of reminders... *Leave no trace. Stay on the trail and pick up after yourself. *Bring enough hydration and snacks. *Wear comfortable clothing and proper shoes, preferably hiking boots w/support. *Poles are not a must, but help out a lot. The hike to the peak is 4.60 miles and took us 2 1/2 hours. The elevation gain, continuous incline, and overall distance made this hike a challenge. There is a lot of switchbacks, which helped a lot. But even some of the switchbacks are on a steep incline. Miles 1 and 2 from the trailhead offer great views of Kyle Canyon, Cat Rock, and Griffith Peak. We took mini breaks here to get rehydrated and even took a few photos. In my opinion, the hardest part of the hike is miles 3.60 to mile 4 because the incline gets even steeper and there's less shade. What makes this part of the hike even worse is the view of Griffith Peak. It looks so close, but it's still about a mile away. You'll reach the saddle at mile 4. Mile 4 is flat, shaded, and only .60 miles from the peak. From here, it's decision time. *Do we head back because we had enough? *Do finish what we started and head to Griffith Peak? *Do we completely lose our minds and head towards the Charleston Peak? The hike to Griffith Peak from the saddle wasn't too difficult and there's plenty of switchbacks. Once at the peak, you're rewarded with some great views and a sense of accomplishment. Total elevation at the top is over 11,000 feet, which is a 3,000+ elevation gain from the trailhead. We Did It!! The hike down was a lot easier and took us about 20 minutes faster. It's so easy to take the hike back to the trailhead for granted. Just trace your steps, take your time, and be safe on the way down. Overall, I loved this hike for the challenge. It's a great warm-up for the Charleston Peak.

First section is steep with steps. Once past those it’s a nice hike. Not to steep where you have to break. The last section to the peak is steep but by then you can smell the finish. Beautiful views. Fun trail and super easy to follow.

This trail was crazy ! I have gone hiking many times an this kicked my butt . I like to think I’m in good shape , but after gaining elevation the thin air got the best of me . Managed to make it to the top in about 3 1/2 hours . Hiked from 9-4 . Totally worth the struggle . Be prepared !

Super hard. Super worth it.

What a rewarding hike this was. With that being said, it’s not something to do on a whim without being in shape. I run 4 miles a day and just got done training for a tough mudder, and there were times I was wondering how I was going to make it. It took my friend and I three full hours to get to the top, and you are gaining extreme elevation the entire time. Also, if you’re not used to the thinner air, take that into account. This was one of the best hikes I’ve ever done and there were so many great views, but just know what you’re getting yourself in to before you start. If you are physically fit and ready for a challenge, this hike is a must. There are no technical climbing areas to be aware of; however, the elevation gain and length is no joke. Bring plenty of water and enough snacks.

This was a dog friendly trail with a gorgeous view at the peak but the scenery going up to the peak was not very desirable. They either had a fire or a controlled burn and so it’s not very scenic.

Awesome weather and awesome views!

This absolutely IS NOT for the amateur. it will test you

My most challenging hike to date. The last bit to the peak is very steep with a lot of small loose rocks. I was glad I used both hiking poles. The 360° view at the top made the hard work worthwhile.

Great views but be sure to bring enough water and snacks. The walk down is a little rough on the knees.

I hiked to Griffith Peak yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day, beautiful hike with fall colors. It’s a butt kicker & leg burner hike. I used this app to record my hike, at the end it showed total of 10.9 miles 3,917 feet total gain. It was 52 degree at the parking lot when I started around 10am. I haven’t had a decent hike in about a year, so I was pushing myself. Totally worth it as I got the peak to myself.

Beautiful hike. We did this instead of Charleston peak and were not disappointed. 360 degree views. Ice hike! Great day!

The trail is pretty good the weather was nice when it’s cold make sure to bring a jacket or sweater

Wow, tough climb! loved it!

Beautiful hike. I completed this on September 25, 2019 and the weather was about 55 when I started at 0730. I used my GPS Navi watch and from the parking lot trailhead to the peak I measured 4.7 miles so this hike would be just about 9.5 miles there and back. Elevation gain was roughly 3,500 feet in those 4.7 miles. The last .5 miles is the toughest due to significant elevation increase but not too bad at all. The view at the peak is nice, however I personally think the views on the way up are nicer than at the peak itself. Best view is at the 3.1 mile mark heading up on your right you can walk about 50 feet off the trail to a rock cliff that overlooks the entire valley. Overall nice hike and good Fall colors at this time.

I went yesterday with my friend. I am not an obsessed hiker but I hike a few times a month. I’m in okay shape and my friend is much younger and does a lot more hikes than I. So, first when I read the reviews about Griffith Peak, I was a bit worried about the difficulty of the hike and if I would be able to finish it. With that said, it was a challenge to finish the last quarter mile which is basically the most difficult part of the hike with a very steep incline and a few switchbacks. I used an Apple Watch to track my hike and my friend used a more sophisticated GPS tracker. My Apple Watch clocked 6 miles one way and hers showed 5.3 miles and it took us 4 hours just going up!!! The majority of the hike was nothing different than Trail Head with the exception of bright, eye pleasing colors of fall...yellow, orange and red leaves turning at the beginning of the hike. You’ll also be pleased with the beautiful cliffs of white mountains that seem to touch the skies. The view on the way up is very gorgeous. Once you make it to the split, right is to the Mount Charleston Peak and the left will continue to take you to Griffith Peak. This is the hardest portion but when you get to the top, it is BEAUTIFUL! You can see all of Las Vegas, the strip and beyond. I wasn’t quite sure exactly how far I was seeing. It’s one of the best views I’ve seen hiking in the Vegas area. After a snack we headed down and made it in 2 hrs. The thing that made this hike difficult was the elevation gain and the distance to the top. This hike is very doable for anyone in decent shape with a strong will. If you’re up for a challenge and you are not someone who is easily defeated, I would encourage you to go for it!

Awesome hike, perfect weather, no wind. Total was 10.5 miles from Mt Charleston Lodge lot, took us 8 hours as we took our time, had lunch, enjoyed the beauty. Final 0.25 miles has about 600ft of gain and no switchbacks. If you Live Like Big Hen, however, you will make it, sign the peak list with some words of inspiration, and enjoy the world.

Cold and windy today, lots of shade coming up the trail!