Grapevine Canyon Trail

Grapevine Canyon Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Laughlin, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Waterfalls and 1000 year old Petroglyphs. You start the hike with a workout. A 1/4 mile walk in a sandy, dry river bed. The real pleasure and sense of history starts at the mouth of the canyon. 1000 year old Native American Indian Petroglyphs start at eye level and continue up several hundred feet up the canyon wall. Stay to the left as you continue up the canyon, the trails are visible but not marked. You will be rewarded with tremendous views of the Colorado River Valley and 3 seasonal waterfalls which are gorgeous when running. You will find why the canyon was named what it was. A gigantic patch of wild grapevines running over a 100 feet long and stretching from canyon wall to canyon wall. Past the 3rd waterfall you will find deep, natural bath tubs worn into the rocks. Great place to soak those weary bones after the climbing you'll do to get there. Just remember, stay left as you go up the canyon. You'll be rewarded with some very interesting geological surprises along the way. NOTE: reports of cholla cactus stickers on the trail, so be cautious bringing dogs on this trail.

I went in October and loved this trail. I’d say it’s more on the hard side since I had to scramble over some boulders and straddle openings in the rocks in a few places. The petroglyphs were amazing and you can make your way up close and personal to them, but it’s not easy. It was sunny and hot so bring plenty of sunscreen and water.

recorded Grapevine Canyon Trail

Very cool hike, beautiful rock formations, love the Petroglyphs. I know this is rated moderate but, to get past the 1 mile mark you need to be ready to hop some rocks, you will need both hands available so put your water in your pack or clip onto your belt. Very cool once you pass the "waterfall" (there is no water, this is a desert) trail can go left or right or straight, I went left and found a cool cave.

Petroglyphs were by far the best part of this hike! They were in the beginning of the hike only that we saw. We hiked all the way to the last waterfall and honestly it was lacking in what we thought it would be. It’s a trickle. The other two were dry that we passed on the way up. We still had fun. Lots of shrubbery and fallen trees. Climbing slick granite boulders. (I fell once) I’m glad I got to experience it still.

This trail was a little bit harder than we assumed. Once past the petroglyphs, the trail was very hard to stay on because it is not maintained at ALL. We did the full hike & were very disappointed at the lack of water we were told we’d find. Still fun & a great workout, we definitely did lots of climbing around rocks & going off trail.

Such a great spot to stop and hike when driving to and from Las Vegas. Went in March, water level was low enough not to be an issue. Mystifying petroglyphs. Well marked trail up until the first petrogylphs and then you're on your own. Many things to see and explore while being respectful of the spiritual and cultural significance of the area. There are many treasures to find throughout the area; there are caves, springs, and breathtaking views. Rocks can be slick - do be careful if making any attempts to ascend the walls of the canyon. Oh, no bugs that day. As always, pack enough water for a few hours. There are toilets at the trailhead and limited parking accessible by most vehicles although there were a few spots that I was grateful that I was driving my SUV instead of my sedan.

I was disappointed. The trail is not maintained; therefore, some part were overrun with debris and overgrown brush that you’re forced to take detours. On a good note, the views and scenery is cool.

Awesome hike but we had to turn around because we love our dogs. Do NOT bring your dogs. Too much cholla cactus stickers on the trail!

Great petroglyphs, all relatively easy to get to.

Great trail and fabulous Petroglyphs

We did this hike on Christmas Day and it was beautiful. Very little water, definitely no waterfalls. We went a little beyond the trail and climbed some larger rocks and sat on top for awhile to take it all in. The petroglyphs were a bonus. I would hike this trail again.

Shapes of big rocks are very unique.

It was a nice hike. Hard to follow the trail though as it isn’t maintained. Loved seeing the petroglyphs.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

The trail is a hard one to follow, but stay in general area and direction, it was worth it to get to the water falls. I will do this hike again after it rains to actually see water flowing off the water falls.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Take plenty of water on warmer days. I spent hours exploring this area and plan to go back in the fall

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Petroglyphs you can walk right up to. Hidden oasis that during times of he years has a trickle of water in this otherwise barren desert.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Petroglyphs are awesome

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Took the family on this little hike...did about 2 miles...lots to see and explore, saw a small trickling waterfall. The petroglyphs were a hit with the wife! My daughters did great and loved climbing some of the boulders in the wash.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Great scenic trail... The youngest in the group was our 5 year old daughter and she loved it.

Monday, February 19, 2018

great easy hike, we took the kids so we didn't go too deep into the canyon itself but we did take multiple side trails out of the wash and into the boulders and hills. Great time exploring!

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Great hike, generally easy but can be more challenging if you go all the way to the end of the trail or if you take side routes. There are multiple waterfalls depending on the time of year you go. If you go during spring, water is not far from the mouth of the canyon where all the petroglyphs are. There is also water at the end of the trail. The further you hike, the fewer petroglyphs you will see, furthest back I've seen them is near the cottonwood trees. The grapevine changes color in the fall and the weather is generally nice so a good time to make the hike but less water that time of year. As mentioned by others, there is a short slot canyon further back the trail. Lots of wildlife and beautiful rock formations.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Took a group of students and we had a great time. If you go back into the boulders, make sure you have hiking boots and long pants. It is rough but the views are amazing!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Great little hike in the desert. Some scrambling up boulders but nothing too hard. Good variety of wild life. Too late in the year for the waterfall. Some trash removed. https://lnt.org https://thetheodores.org