Gold Strike Hot Springs Trail

hard 896 reviews

Gold Strike Hot Springs Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from October until May.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,466 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Please note: This trail is closed in the summer (May 15 - Sept 30) because it is too hot. It is also recommended you leave dogs at home. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/goldstrike-canyon-arizona-hot-spring-trails-summer-closure-dates.htm A strenuous hike through a wonderful canyon to some hot springs pools. This hike is one of a kind. There are 8 fixed ropes if you go all the way to the river. Some are difficult - especially when coming back up. At the 1.5 mile point of the hike you come to the first obstacle - a large boulder with what looks like a nasty drop off. If you look at the rock wall to your right, you'll see some steps. There is a strap here to help you down the steps. Coming back, you really don't need the strap although it will give those who want some security an aid to come back up. A short distance after this, the wash opens into its widest of the hike, and several washes come together. Keep walking down and you'll come to the next rope. This goes down the left side of the rock wall and isn't too difficult to maneuver. You just need to use the rope as intended and walk down backwards while moving down the rope. There is one other slight work around in this area. There's a dry fall that some slide down. There is a blue arrow painted on the rocks to the left of the chute showing you how to walk around and down this dry fall. After you have cleared these obstacles, you arrive at what once was the Upper Goldstrike Hot Springs pools. Sadly, most have dried up. There are a few pools farther down that still have water, but you'll see the remnants of the pools that no longer have any source for filling. The rest has 5 fixed ropes, the last being a bit difficult, especially when you're coming back and you have those wet boots. This trail can be too strenuous for dogs.

This hike is really a gem. I wasn't expecting much but it ended up being a challenging quick stop-off on my way back to Vegas. This was my first trail with rope climbing and it was a great introductory course. Personally I found it easier going back up than coming down, so if you're able to make it down, don't worry at all about getting back out. =) I logged the trail at 5.2 miles total, taking just under 3 hours to complete.

I loved this trail it was challenging and that’s what I loved About it. Good workout and super rewarding at the end!

I LOVE this trail! I've completed it twice, and I'm planning to go back next week.

Amazing.

Really fun hike! Does require some upper body strength because here and there you have to use ropes to decent and climb back up, but they all look much more intimidating than they actually are. Plus bring swimwear for hot spring baths!

Awesome hike! New to hiking more rugged trails - and this one did not disappoint! We visited on a Thursday and the parking lot was packed full! All the other hikers were extremely nice and helpful along the trail. My Apple Watch calculated the trail at 2.6 miles, one way. I’m not in perfect shape and I was able to complete all the rope climbs and boulder scrambling. I did a lot of sliding down the rocks while my husband was easily ably to traverse the larger rocks with his longer legs. :) It was definitely challenging, but it’s worth it to keep going if you feel comfortable! If you’re looking for a trail to hike close to Las Vegas or the Hoover Dam - don’t skip this one!!! It’s worth exploring!

Amazing canyon hike and views of the Colorado River. I visited on a Sunday, in mid-February. Going down, at moderate pace, I completed the hike in under two hours. Coming back was a different story, all well-fed, having swam in the rived, explored the sauna cave and soaked up in almost every one of the warm pools. From 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., this was fun hiking and soaking day. Bring your upper-body strength and shoe soles with good grip for some of those boulders are quite sleek from wear and tear.

Trail was phenomenal. I started early and had 20 minutes alone at the water. Once I turned around, I saw groups of people about 15 minutes up the trail. Very busy from that point on as it was a Saturday morning. I used my poles for most of the hike and was glad I had them.

just did this today so cool to see others post on here that were put there today. fun, challenging. def need to wear good traction shoes. views were amazing

What an amazing day! I read all the reviews and assumed it would be challenging but not hard. Well, maybe when I was 25 this would have been easier @ 50 with a 3 level fusion in my back it proved to be a bit harder than expected in some areas. A lot of the reviews mentioned their work "ropes" but it doesn't necessarily say that you will be rappelling down boulders and pulling yourself backup on those same boulders! That being said the sites were epic! I live in South Lake Tahoe and I see a much different terrain when hiking. I came at 6 to 10000' is definitely much different than what we did today. The challenge was less about cardiovascular and more about physical upper body and flexibility. If you make the journey down to the Colorado river you will be so happy! The views are so beautiful. And don't forget to stop and hang out in the Hot Springs! They felt amazing. The only thing I would recommend bringing if you are not and advanced hiker is boots that have good traction on wet rocks and maybe gloves for your hands. It took us about 2 hours to get down and about the same time to get up so if you are an intermediate hiker be sure to allow yourself at least 4 hours. The trail was pretty well marked and the people we met up or more than willing to help Cheer you on in the hard spots! I am very thankful for the day we had! One last suggestion, please bring a bag to pack in-and-out anything you bring. I was a little disappointed in the amount of cigaret butts, beer cans, paper waste that we found on the trail. This is God's country treated that way!

One of the best hikes I’ve ever done. It was little challenging but manageable. Climbing up and down those big boulders using those ropes definitely required some “skills”. Pools were filled with warm water. The sounds of water was so serene and I felt like I could just stay there all day just to listen to it. The views at the end of the trail was totally worth it. Nobody else was at the trail during my hike. I practically had the trail to myself. Plenty of people came, though as I was leaving the trail.

Dont let the difficult rating deter you! I am 220lbs and generally unfit, I decided to do this hike with no prior training and even I completed it. Wear hiking boots with good traction its a must and would be impossible without them for an unfit person. Gloves would also help a lot.

So much fun!! Definitely requires some climbing up and down boulders. If you’re in relatively good shape, you should be fine! Hot springs were so warm! Not too crowded on a Monday afternoon.

First part of the trail was sand and easy hiking. Around half way down the fun begins!!! Awesome scrambling with ropes and butt slides down huge boulders. The river and bridge at the bottom were gorgeous. It was a lot easier coming back up. You don’t need hiking poles ( they just get in the way). Super fun hike if you’re in good shape.