Gold Strike Hot Spring Trail [CLOSED]

Gold Strike Hot Spring Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May.

rock climbing

hot springs

closed

NOTE: Closed to the public from May 1 until October 1. A strenuous hike through a wonderful canyon to some hot springs pools. This hike is one of a kind. There are 8 fixed ropes if you go all the way to the river. Some are difficult especially when coming back up. You will have wet boots and having them hold on the boulders you need to climb can be a slippery affair. At the 1.5 mile point of the hike, you come to the first obstacle, a large boulder with what looks like a nasty drop off. If you look at the rock wall to your right, you'll see some steps in the rock wall. There is a strap here to help you down the steps. Coming back, you really don't need the strap although it will give those who want some security an aid to come back up. A short distance after this, the wash opens into its widest of the hike, and several washes come in together. Keep walking down and you'll come to the next rope. This goes down the left side of the rock wall. This isn't difficult to do. You just need to use the rope as intended and walk down backwards while moving down the rope. There is one other slight work around in this area, too. There's a dry fall that some slide down. There is a blue arrow painted on the rocks to the left of the chute showing you how to walk around and down this dry fall. After you have cleared these obstacles, you arrive at what once was the Upper Goldstrike Hot Springs pools. Sadly, most have dried up. There are a few pools farther down that still have water, but you'll see the remnants of the pools that no longer have any source for filling. The rest has 5 fixed ropes, the last being a bit difficult, especially when you're coming back and you have those wet boots. This trail can be too strenuous for dogs.

don't go in summer, i went in the middle of july at night and i damn near passed out from the heat. its a very fun hike with a lot of climbing involved do be prepared for it, bring way more water than you usually would need and be ready for wet shoes.

Awesome hike! After reaching the hot springs, walk maybe another half mile to reach the Colorado River! It is very cool.

Love this trail! The cool crisp Colorado river waiting for you at the bottom is such a perfect reward!!!

I'm so glad I decided to check out this review and find out it is now closed before driving out there.

Amazing hike. I had never rock climbed before, so it was challenging for me and I only got through 3/6 ropes. But no matter how much you do it's beautiful all throughout. I would even go back to complete it if I had the chance.

The trail is amazeballs! It will kick your buttox, bring water and/or Powerade -Ricky Bobby oh! Trail is closed!!! Just tried it today! Its all due to HWY construction, eat me!

This trail kicked out butts!! But it was so worth it! We went a few years ago in October. It was warm and sunny. Def need to come back and give it another climb!

Bummer, the trail is closed. We tried on 4/22/18, all access is closed.

Love this hike. Good elevation changes and bouldering down lower. Love to sit in the Springs. Definitely worth your while.

How do you get to the trailhead with the construction going on?

One of our favorites! Our boys (8 & 10 yrs old) loved the challenges with the ropes and never shy away from some good bouldering. They are very experienced hikers though. Make sure your children are up for a challenge and that you can assist down and up the ropes if you plan to bring them. One rope in particular is hanging over water and was not possible for them to traverse but it was only a 6ft drop that we were able to lower them down. Be smart, bring lots of water! Canyon temps run about 15deg higher then Vegas temps. There is an awesome fill station with supplies (salt, sugar, potassium) and instructions about 25 mins into the hike to make a "sports drink". All around amazing hike!

Visiting the Vegas area and this hike ranks top three as the best we’ve ever done. This *did* kick our a$$es (and scraped/bruised elbows, knees, shins, etc). We brought just enough water and snacks in small bags, and were thankful for gloves. Other hikers on the trail were courteous and friendly, and helpful to others who needed help up/down a climb. The views were amazing throughout, and the hot pools were fun to explore. Colorado River was a great mid-hike cool down- take advantage of it before starting back. We will definitely do this one again next time we’re in the area!

We absolutely loved this hike!! Right from the start it was awesome! The flowers are blooming everywhere and its gorgeous against the dark canyon walls. It’s not to far until you reach the first hot spring but they are spread out throughout the hike. We had so much fun using the ropes. Another Bonus is the trail leads to the Colorado River! Have fun, bring lots of water.

One of our favorites! Our kids (8 & 10) are experienced hikers and handled it well. Definitely a challenge but well worth it.

I've done this hike over a dozen times it's a very nice workout hike. I do recommend for those that are not familiar with the hike to bring a small backpack water snacks and definitely some gloves and do come early. be prepared and be safe so you can enjoy other bikes from there on.

This trail kicked my ass! But I made it all the way to the Colorado River. The water was amazing and the views were great. Make sure you give yourself enough time that you don’t get stuck out here in the dark like I did. Also bring plenty of water.

Hard hike! Would only suggest bringing your dogs if they are in shape and you can carry them or lift them. There are repels, and i would highly suggest wearing good shoes (but also shoes that could get wet) would also bring water shoes if you make it to the hotsprings and river. Feels like your in a movie with stunning views !

Fantastic hike. As of today, the ropes are still available to assist in scrambling and scaling some of the larger rock formations down to the river. Very manageable. Will 100% do again soon!

It’s fun. Have some shoes with nice traction that are waterproof or resistant.

It’s a challenge, but so fun if you like a little scrambling.

Goldstrike question. I recently read on Bird and Hike that someone cut the ropes at Goldstrike. People who have hiked it recently, are the ropes in place? We have hiked it many times, without ropes a bit too much for us now. Thanks for your help!

Knee pads and gloves are very helpful!

Really enjoyed the hike, and my dogs loved it, outside of having to be lifted at some parts. Definitely wouldn’t recommend for most dogs.

Very fun hike with rewarding scenery at the bottom. There are eight spots with ropes, that are required to get up and down the trial. Definitely not for beginners but very fun.

Loved this hike! Starts off easy but definitely more challenging as it descends down through the rocks/boulders where the ropes provided are required. Good hiking shoes/boots would make a difference, we wore sneakers which did not have enough grip or protection. Rewarded at the bottom with a stunning vista of river and canyon with magical hot springs. Easier to hike out than going out n which was s welcome surprise!

Definitely one of my favorite hikes !

Amazing hike! Make sure to wear good shoes with traction and something that you wouldn’t care if it gets wet.

Incredible hike! This is definitely a challenge if you've never scrambled or used ropes before (like me). It helps if you go with a group so you can each other down and up. The hot springs are amazing and making it to the river is very rewarding.
March 19, 2018.

Amazing hike! Going all the way to the river it's too bad, you have to trust the ropes. Beautiful hot springs gorgeous views. I found it hard coming back up. but I did it! Super fun you will be happy that you complete something like that!

Awesome hike!