Gateway Canyon Loop Trail

Gateway Canyon Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great hike. I agree with others here - heading to the east to start was better for me because of the bouldering. Overall a very fun hike! Took about 2 hours give or take. The NW side of the loop was the only place where it was kind of difficult to find where to go, but we got back on trail fairly quickly. Didn’t bring my dog, but think she could have come. As others have said there are a few places that would be difficult. One in particular would take two people passing the dog up to get her over the rock, so keep that in mind if you have a large dog.

Great views, nice spots to rest and possibly picnic, and some great fun on the boulders in the far end of the loop! Would do it again!

This is such a great hike and I definitely recommend it! The east side of the trail (which is called Gateway Canyon) is the wash side with boulders that you have to climb over and has a gradual incline. The west side of the trail (called Kraft Mountain Tail) is a little steeper with no boulders and goes straight up into the mountain. We started on the trail heading east, so we went up the wash. Which I know sounds worse than going down it, but it was so much easier to climb up the boulders and rocks than trying to jump down them. This trail is dog friendly, but if you have a dog that is not good at climbing, a little scared or you cannot pick up I would not bring them. If you do have a dog I would recommend starting going east (up the wash) as it was easier to push/pull them over the rocks if they do get stuck. We had an 85lb boxer (a little out of shape) and even though we made it, I don’t think we would bring him next time (not a great hike for larger dogs). Took us a little under 3 hours, but had to stop 3-4 times to get the dog over the boulders.

Also, Kraft Mountain Loop and Gateway Canyon Loop Trail are the same trail. Happy Hiking! :)

This is a great little half day hike, but be warned, there is some scrabbling over the rocks in 3 places that may not be possible for all hikers. I took my 45 pound dog with me and there was one section of rocks I did have to drag him down (a long 10' slick "shoot" if you will). I do not recommend you take your pooch. The views are nice though, and the canyon to the north is beautiful. Tons of rock climbers in the area.

great for scrambling. can avoid or seek out more challenging boulders.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Such a fun hike with plenty of scrambling!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

We found out about this area from a bartender @ Sin City Brewing who said she walks her dogs here all the time. Great route. Down in the wash, you'll get to a couple spots where you might wonder, "where to from here?" but you can easily find your way forward. There were a lot of people bouldering on the east side of the loop just before returning to the parking lot. Fun spot to hangout at the end.

Friday, March 03, 2017

Scrambling and semi-agility required at times, but not too intense. Beautiful hike. 2 hours or so.

Monday, January 23, 2017

This trail leads you up a wash that involves some scrambling with engaging and fun moves. You are shaded from the sun for a lot of the hike (depending on the time of year) it has several pools of water you come to that requires a little adventuring to work around. I recommend you start east and work up the wash instead of coming down it. Overall it is fun and EASY! It Took me less than two hours and I loved every minute of it.

Friday, May 12, 2017