Gass Peak Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,129 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Great hike we did in late April. T-shirt and Shorts with sunscreen worked well, it was a sunny day with a light breeze. Getting to this trail is a huge pain if you have a sedan or non-off road type vehicle. Our friends who had a SUV had no issues, we however took it very slow in our Toyota Carrolla and almost got stuck a few times; so carpool in a vehicle with good clearance if you can. The hike is longish, 6.3 miles round trip/2000+ ft vertical, and the inclines at the beginning will test you unless you do this sort of thing all the time. Bring water. Cell phone coverage is spotty, so let somebody know if you re heading out solo, in case you get stranded (car breakdown or hurt). We saw lots of lizards, butterflies, and one snake (uploaded it to the trail pictures). Mr. Snake didn't bother us, and we didn't bother the Mr. snake. The view of the city is cool at the top, bring a pen to sign the guestbook there... between the 6 of us we didn't have a pen and didn't get to sign it. Coming down the peak is a bit of work too, as loose rocks make it easy to slide. Fun Hike. See linked recording for the track we used and pictures along the way taken.

Dirt road to trail was easy and about 30 minutes from the refuge center. Started late on a Saturday and was surprised to pass only two people on the road. The trail is easily marked and it was just my son, my dog, and I the whole way. The service road park is easy, for about a mile, but that incline really works you out! You go over several other peaks before getting to Gass which is the one with the tower. it's very Serene and peaceful once you get there. great views of the city from the north.

Not at all what I was expecting, but still a pleasant outing on a decent trail. I was anticipating something much more rugged but it's a walk-up on a well defined trail. The trail is steep areas interspersed with easier, level grades--the steep areas are no joke! Lots of interesting fossils about 0.5 mile from the top, and the view itself is pretty grand, though it is dominated more by the urban city view than of the wilderness areas. The view is not spoiled by the weather station up top, as it is easy to move around to find your preferred vista. Really fun hike. I was nervous about the drive, having heard horror stories, but it wasn't too bad. Definitely recommend high clearance--as a person who was known to "make it happen" in a small car that had no business being in areas I'd take it, this would be really rough in a sedan. Gass Peak Road in particular has a couple bruiser areas that would not be passable, or would require some really expert maneuvering. I only have about 8 inches of clearance but that was absolutely doable.

12-31-18 - I left the trail head 2 1/2 hrs before sunrise and nailed it. Too bad the sunrise didn't cooperate. Good hike but the way down was rough on my knees. Caught a few snow flurries at the summit, signed the book, took some pics and bailed. It was cold. Took my dog and he was fine just watch out for cactus.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Best if you have a High clearance vehicle. Road can be rough for a car. Trail was just fine, you get a decent view of the North side of Vegas on the peak. Mostly sage and Joshua trees for vegetation. Didn't see a single person on the hike

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Secluded trail, come prepared for steep broken shale on many parts. View on a clear day is the best around Vegas. Great hiking trail but not enjoyable enough downhill riding for a bike to justify the hours long push uphill. My wife, me, 6 and 8yo boys made it but the kids were so tired on the way down, we had to go slow and steady and help my 6yo to keep him from falling too many times. This was our first time to Gass Peak. Took us 6hrs (car to peak to car). But only recorded 3:40 of “moving” time. Went in Feb, weather was perfect and a little breezy.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Fun. Go on a cool day. It can get hot. Lots of lady bugs when you get to the peak.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Done this twice. Difficult but worth the energy! Not recommended for the out of shape. There are some steep, shale covered areas that are probe to getting you sliding if you're not careful!

Sunday, April 08, 2012

Great view of the city. Steep rocky trail but worth the trek. Recommend taking the Desert National Wildlife Range Road and signing in at the ranger station before taking the right onto Mormon Wells Road.

Monday, June 18, 2018