Gass Peak Trail [CLOSED] is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,129 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19.

Gass Peak is closed temporarily.... this sucks, can't believe I drove out at 4am just to meet a barricade

Are all yo Gass peak closed? Due to hype of covid?

Perfect trail for this time of year and for what’s going on with the need to “socially distance”. Someone else here recorded this trail and went to the right where the sign will show hiking trail to the left. Both trails meet up again after awhile. Hiking poles and shoes with good grip recommended as it’s quite slippery on the way down. A few of the false peaks may make you consider turning back but don’t do it!! Seeing Vegas, Lake Mead, and Mt. Charleston all from the top is a great accomplishment. Don’t forget to sign the log book and enjoy the views and solitude!!

Road to the trailhead is bumpy and not well maintained. It’s a solid uphill climb. l started at 9:20 and summited at 10:47. I took my dogs and this trail is rough on their paws. I would discourage bringing pups on the trail. My dogs were sore and hurting when we finished. Great view, amazing accomplishment.

Great hike! Bring lots of water and a light layer of clothing, chilly at the top. Gorgeous views of the city. Loved it.

Recorded 6.6mi round trip. 3 hrs up, 2 hrs down w/ a food and break-motivated 6 year old. Overall a nice hike that only had a few areas of concern for a 6 year old. Was a bit chilly and windy at the top so we didnt stay long to enjoy the view. The drive to the trailhead wasnt bad...comparable to rough country roads. There was only one rough spot, but when we left there was a tesla setting up camp past it so it must not have been that bad.

Takes about 50min from start of stone road to get to trail head at about 10-12 mph. Anything faster and your throwing stones and better have solid suspension. The hike is great but it’s a workout. Wanted to catch the sunset and not walk too much in the dark so we walked fast. 1+40 to the top and 1+10 back to the trail head. I recommend taking longer to enjoy all of the views, take a nice break and not rush. My GPS showed 6.6 miles. Pick a cool day with little wind or a warm day with a breeze. No shad on the walk. Take plenty of water, a snack, an extra layer, and a camera. #footprints&photographs

What a great hike! The trail is really easy to follow, despite the occasional smattering of snow on the north side of the ridge. It’s pretty much a constant uphill grade the whole way, although there are a few short sections where the slope softens. AllTrails has the hike at 6.1 miles round trip, but in my experience it was more than 7. I took about 4.5 hours round-trip. I’d rate this as “strenuous” given the relentless up, up, up, up, up of the trail. But it does not require any special gear or climbing with your hands. As others have noted, the road is a good dozen + miles of desert washboard, but anything with decent clearance and AWD/4WD won’t have any issues. I did it in a newish Discovery with the air suspension raised all the way up and the ride was a breeze. On the drive in and up the trail I was completely alone. 100% solitude. As I ascended I was treated to my own private air show when a series of low-flying jets made their way back to Nellis. First it was a pair of F-15s, then a pair of A-10s, then a flight of F-16s in USAF Thunderbird livery, then some more A-10s, more F-16s, and finally a C-17. The view from the top is just spectacular. I’m a long-time resident of Vegas and frequent hiker, but I’ve never seen quite this view of the city. At the summit I was subjected to some pretty intense wind. Packing an extra layer is advisable if you’re going to hang out up there for a while. However, by taking a few steps down the leeward side of the ridge I was able to mostly stay out of the wind. In summary, I recommend this hike if you’re looking for some solitude, you have a good bit of time to kill, and you’re looking for a real visual payoff at the peak.

AllTrails describes Gass Peak as a 6.1 mile out & back, lightly trafficked trail with a 2,129 ft. elevation gain. AllTrails also rates this hike as difficult. I didn't think that the hike to the top was extremely difficult. I'm not stating that to summit was a breeze, but it's definitely not easy, especially when Mother Nature decides to bring on the snow. We accomplished this hike on December 29, 2019. We started from the trailhead at exactly 9:15 AM, took a few small breaks, and reached the peak at 11:32 AM. The trail itself was easy to follow until we reached a stretch of snow, which started around mile 1 and continued to the peak. I had an easier time identifying the trail from a distance, focusing on specific points to reach (i.e. big rocks, trees, patches of snow, dry areas, etc.) and doing our best to stay on the trail to summit. We relied on footprints from other hikers and animal paw prints when we reached areas where snow completely covered the trail. The first mile is a gradual incline with an elevation gain of about 500 feet. The steep climbing starts at about mile 1.20. From there, it's almost all uphill with a total elevation gain of about 1,500 feet. The views from the top is amazing and includes the Las Vegas valley, parts of Utah, Red Rock Canyon, Spring Mountains National Recreational Area, all of the peaks that we accomplished this year (Mt. Charleston, Black Mountain, Frenchman/Sunrise, and Lone Mountain), our house, and In-N-Out Burger off North 5th Street. We took a few photos at the top, signed the logbook, and had a quick snack. The hike down was a lot easier to follow since we left clearly defined tracks on the snow, but it wasn't a cupcake and very slippery. It took us less than 2 hours from the peak to the trailhead. Total hike time was 4 hours and 10 minutes. Gass Peak is one of those hikes that took so long to accomplish because we didn't think we had a vehicle that can get us to the trailhead (review my tips) and because of weather. Hiking up to the peak is no picnic when snow is present. I assume it's even worse during the middle of summer since the entire trail is exposed. I would like to do this hike again once the snow melts off and before it gets hot. Overall, I love this hike. The distance, challenging inclines, and the views is why Gass Peak is one of my favorite hikes located close to home. TIPS: Tip #1: Just getting to the trailhead is an adventure. You will need a vehicle with enough clearance to make it through uneven and rocky terrain. My wife's Subie was our hero for the day. Her car maneuvered through the bumpy road like a champ. NOTE: We arrived at the trailhead using the directions from AllTrails. Tip #2: Carve out enough time to hike this beast. Our total hike time was over 4.5 hours with breaks. From the 215 & 95, it's another 2+ hours round-trip just to the trailhead. Do the math. We left our meet up spot in the Centennial area at 7:40 AM and arrived back at our meet up spot at 3:20 PM. Tip #3: The usual hike requirements is needed. Bring enough hydration and snacks. Dress according to the weather and I recommend hike boots. Poles are not mandatory by highly recommended if snow is present. Tip #4: There is very little internet or phone reception on this hike. The trail is also listed as "lightly trafficked". We saw no one on this trail. That being said, it's important that you give someone a heads up when you do this hike. Give them the time you plan to start and an estimated time you should be done. Gass Peak may be seen from all parts of the valley. But the trail is in the middle of nowhere. Tip #5: Don't take any part of the trail for granted. Remember, you're climbing a mountain. One false move can lead to bad things. I like good things. Be Safe!!

Fri May 24 2019

Sat Apr 27 2019

Great hike we did in late April. T-shirt and Shorts with sunscreen worked well, it was a sunny day with a light breeze. Getting to this trail is a huge pain if you have a sedan or non-off road type vehicle. Our friends who had a SUV had no issues, we however took it very slow in our Toyota Carrolla and almost got stuck a few times; so carpool in a vehicle with good clearance if you can. The hike is longish, 6.3 miles round trip/2000+ ft vertical, and the inclines at the beginning will test you unless you do this sort of thing all the time. Bring water. Cell phone coverage is spotty, so let somebody know if you re heading out solo, in case you get stranded (car breakdown or hurt). We saw lots of lizards, butterflies, and one snake (uploaded it to the trail pictures). Mr. Snake didn't bother us, and we didn't bother the Mr. snake. The view of the city is cool at the top, bring a pen to sign the guestbook there... between the 6 of us we didn't have a pen and didn't get to sign it. Coming down the peak is a bit of work too, as loose rocks make it easy to slide. Fun Hike. See linked recording for the track we used and pictures along the way taken.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Dirt road to trail was easy and about 30 minutes from the refuge center. Started late on a Saturday and was surprised to pass only two people on the road. The trail is easily marked and it was just my son, my dog, and I the whole way. The service road park is easy, for about a mile, but that incline really works you out! You go over several other peaks before getting to Gass which is the one with the tower. it's very Serene and peaceful once you get there. great views of the city from the north.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Not at all what I was expecting, but still a pleasant outing on a decent trail. I was anticipating something much more rugged but it's a walk-up on a well defined trail. The trail is steep areas interspersed with easier, level grades--the steep areas are no joke! Lots of interesting fossils about 0.5 mile from the top, and the view itself is pretty grand, though it is dominated more by the urban city view than of the wilderness areas. The view is not spoiled by the weather station up top, as it is easy to move around to find your preferred vista. Really fun hike. I was nervous about the drive, having heard horror stories, but it wasn't too bad. Definitely recommend high clearance--as a person who was known to "make it happen" in a small car that had no business being in areas I'd take it, this would be really rough in a sedan. Gass Peak Road in particular has a couple bruiser areas that would not be passable, or would require some really expert maneuvering. I only have about 8 inches of clearance but that was absolutely doable.

Tue Jan 01 2019

12-31-18 - I left the trail head 2 1/2 hrs before sunrise and nailed it. Too bad the sunrise didn't cooperate. Good hike but the way down was rough on my knees. Caught a few snow flurries at the summit, signed the book, took some pics and bailed. It was cold. Took my dog and he was fine just watch out for cactus.

Tue Jul 31 2018

Best if you have a High clearance vehicle. Road can be rough for a car. Trail was just fine, you get a decent view of the North side of Vegas on the peak. Mostly sage and Joshua trees for vegetation. Didn't see a single person on the hike

Thu Feb 15 2018

Secluded trail, come prepared for steep broken shale on many parts. View on a clear day is the best around Vegas. Great hiking trail but not enjoyable enough downhill riding for a bike to justify the hours long push uphill. My wife, me, 6 and 8yo boys made it but the kids were so tired on the way down, we had to go slow and steady and help my 6yo to keep him from falling too many times. This was our first time to Gass Peak. Took us 6hrs (car to peak to car). But only recorded 3:40 of “moving” time. Went in Feb, weather was perfect and a little breezy.

Tue Sep 12 2017

Fun. Go on a cool day. It can get hot. Lots of lady bugs when you get to the peak.

Sun Mar 16 2014

Done this twice. Difficult but worth the energy! Not recommended for the out of shape. There are some steep, shale covered areas that are probe to getting you sliding if you're not careful!

Sun Apr 08 2012

Great view of the city. Steep rocky trail but worth the trek. Recommend taking the Desert National Wildlife Range Road and signing in at the ranger station before taking the right onto Mormon Wells Road.

recorded Gass Peak Trail