Learn more

Galena Creek Trail

moderate(283)
Reno, Nevada

Galena Creek Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 774 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail starts in the Phillip & Annie Callahan Park and continues west through a neighborhood and a golf course. It is more of a walk than a hike. If hikers continue west, they will come across all the trails in the Mount Rose Wilderness and the Galena Creek Recreation Area Trail System. Although the trail is public, the trail travels close to private property - please be respectful and stay on the trail.

This was a great trail! I went last weekend and there was mainly just mud with just a couple inches of snow once you were 3/4 of the way up. Beautiful hike!

got off track near the end.

Lulu,my pup, and I went to check this place out. The creek is gorgeous! Pretty bridges to walk across. Trail meanders alongside ginormous private homes. I fell 3x from slipping on ice. Some spots melted into ice then had snow on top. While we didn't finish the whole route, doggo and I enjoyed our walk in nature. Super looking forward to going again during spring!

icy

Pretty walk along the creek and past homes. Very icy and shady this time of year! I couldn't finish the whole route because it took so long to traverse the ice. Easy parking and several dogs along the route.

Very shaded, so very cold this time of year! Dogs loved the creek you follow the entire way. Ran into lots of off leash dogs FYI.

Beautiful hike with lots of fall colors! Follows the stream the whole way and found lots of spots to stop and sit. Starts off along some houses but once you’re in a bit there’s none along the trail. Definitely recommend!

Fall is in its full glory! So beautiful.

Simple, easy walk more than hike. Very pretty with different elements .

Nice walk with a lot of shade and streams. Slight elevation felt good.

near homes and not so private but beautiful

as others have said, a beautiful walk. lots of dogs but all friendly. mostly unleashed. a cyclist or two and one not alert.

BEAUTIFUL!

More like a pleasant walk than hike but still good. If you have a dog be sure to watch for rapid water and the vortexes it engenders if it goes in. It took three of us to pull a big dog out of one. We found that a big hairy dog is hard to move anywhere. It was a beautiful day and the cold water felt good on my feet. Have fun!

Lots of dogs off leash but still quiet peaceful trail

Nice walk (I hesitate to call it a hike) through shaded area along the creek. Yes it borders private property and it feels like you are strolling through backyards in Montreaux but it is a nice trail.

Easy walk with shade.

Beautiful hike along the stream with my sis!

great easy trail . took the dogs. goes through a lot of expensive looking back yards.

Great walk!... I like to keep my pup leashed on well traveled paths out of respect for other hikers and dogs. I wish people did the same. I don't like off leash dogs running up on my dog and myself... It creates an uncomfortable situation.... So please be respectful of others.

Easy to get to trailhead, well maintained scenic trail entangled along the Galena Creek, nestled up a ravine up the hillside. Well traveled by hikers, bikers and pets. Best time is April-May, when stream is running high from snow melt.

Really fun walk. First half mile or so is along the edge of property lines, but it becomes more rural feeling in the last half. I loved that you could hear the creek and smell the pine trees throughout. The last creek crossing is pretty tricky; I attempted but didn’t have the right gear to complete. It’s basically a downed log bridge, but it’s at a pretty steep angle. On the whole, a beautiful walk on a lovely day!

Easy , great trail for families. Lots of dogs.

I love the trail that runs through Galena Creek. It’s not hard, there is easy parking to access, and it’s a great trail to bring dogs along. There is a creek that runs through it, and it’s beautiful in the summer. However, many people do not have pet etiquette on this trail- please leash your dogs when you see other hikers coming your way.

Mon Dec 10 2018

trail is picturesque in the snow. snow is hard packed on trail.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Great suburban walking/bike trail. Pretty fall colors.